Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
istephens
FJRian

Oddometer: 139
Like many others who have posted I too liked the most recent incarnation of Escape, too bad it appears to be gone.

My favorite motorcycle mags are RoadRunner, Bike! and Motorcycle Sport and Leisure - both UK mags.

I'd really like to see a magazine that combined the reviews and information of Bike! with the adventure traveling spirit that shows up in RoadRunner. Preferably in a larger format and with plenty of pictures - just not the usual press shot of the bike of the month, like a previous poster mentioned, the pics that show up on the frontspiece of ADVrider are much more emotional and interesting.

Just my 2 bits worth ....

Ian
2008 VStrom DL1000 Silver - the Mule
istephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #47
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
It seems with American publishers, you won't be able to give us an honest-unbiased opinion of gear, bikes, etc. without your advertisers pulling out. I doubt Cycle World would allow a poor report of something being reviewed. This is why I pay the extra $$ for the European mags.
What I "Want" is honest reporting, I just don't see how it would happen.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #48
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Input

Jamie, I just sent a PM with a site you should look at about unbiased reviews.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #49
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
This is my 35th year of owning and riding nothing but dual sports. I also have every Cycle World from that same period in my garage along with a pile Motorcyclist and Dirt Bike editions that I liked. So I read a few magazines over the years. At this point maybe I need Hoarders Anonymous.

Anyway, the articles that get my attention are bike tests done with humor or a twist. I have no desire to own a Harley but end up reading somebody like Joe Gresh "testing" one because I can count on laughing. Same goes for some of your tests. You seem to get this part in your own writing.

The other thing that I always read is a real world multi bike comparison like the last CW adventure bike article. What I skip is the same comparison done by track testing whether MX or road. I want to know how it works in my world, what broke, which one threw you down, what sucked and what didn't.

I also skip the waste of copy space every magazine devotes to showcasing manufacturers new crap. If you didn't test it or use it then let them buy ad space and devote those two pages to something you actually used. I could care less if somebody has a new jacket out unless you can also tell me how it worked.

Then there are rides. Again, give us some twist, a hook, some weirdness or just some humor. The ride articles in Rider bore me to tears. I could care less what they saw or even where they went. I want to know how the damn bike worked, how the gear worked and what the riding itself was like.

Always remember that I ride so talk to me about riding. The bike and place don't matter to me. Just tell me what riding it was like regardless of which bike. If it is man bites dog stuff all the better. The wrong bike for a trip, the wrong time of year or any of the other stupid stuff we have all done but wouldn't change.

Good luck. I will likely give it a whirl.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 07:53 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #50
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,165
Make it useful.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #51
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Jamie, I have enjoyed your writing for years. Keep it up.

The Ride Report section of this fine website takes way to much of my time. I do get around myself but realistically how many of us middle class Americans can do Siberia? The Bam Road? Mongolia?

If your new mag would focus on budget class riding in North America I would buy it.

Good luck with your adventure.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #52
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Online *AND* print

Given that you're asking an online forums for their inputs, it should come as no surprise that there's a demand signal for an online version.

The digital copy should be interactive, with vivid interactive videos, blowouts of schematics and bike diagrams, plus clickable links to related posts, advertisers, etc. Plus, this digital version should be available across the digital universe, not just to Apple users, Android users, or any other specific digital format. (HTML5, maybe?)
Ride4Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #53
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
Back in the 80's and 90's I used to really like Dirtrider Magazine. They had a yearly issue that was focused on all the cool trail tricks and mods you could do. Reference this: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/wrenching/ with a ADV bias, I would buy it.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
bart802
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Best of luck with the new gig ! I get and read many magazine's each month and have for many years. Things I would like to see , maybe a gps test and not just which one is best, but what is useable for less money . Even how to use it and load routes, maps, mounts, etc. Bags, trunks, lights, food to carry, places to go in the USA, places to eat and stay. I guess just stuff the everyday rider/commuter will use. Perhaps even have 5-6 joe smoes try out an item for week or month to get some outside input.

gone -99 zrx1100, 08 ST 1050,03 cr250r, 03 sv1000, 05 ultra and about 22 others
bart802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
long time lurker. i pretty much agree with everything people have said. especially interested in stories about people who are pushing the limits. it's pretty easy to go anywhere on a big bike with thousands of dollars worth of gear. Fun if you're doing it, but a bit boring to read about - where is the adventure?
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #56
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Jamie I have always admired your work and look forward to what materializes in the future. As many have mentioned, the format of ESCAPE was very refreshing. Ads subsidize the content, making it affordable and profitable at the same time. The difficulty, as in any worthwhile adventure, is finding balance. Balance that addresses products, bikes, audience and all other not clearly defined content. There probably needs to be content that is not clearly defined. Content that is out of the box; ADVENTUROUS! When I purchase a magazine I look for something that will spur my dreams and also satisfy the reality that I live and work in. An example would be a feature on a trip to Tierra Del Fuego that we may never enjoy and also the most popular day trips that could be a very real possibility for many readers. Maybe a feature for at least 50 issues could be call four corners or borderline where each state is represented on an exploration of the geographic borders, emphasizing the road less traveled and hidden features along the way. Thanks for reaching out to our community here. Troy

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #57
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 254
^ What they said. And boobs.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #58
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,642
What do I want out of a motorcycle magazine?

Enter-fucking-tain me!

If I wanted facts I would buy an encyclopedia and a life time subscription Motorcycle Consumer News.. the most accurate, un-biased and dull magazine EVER. I do not want (just) facts, or to be told about ways to control my bladder on long rides when I get older, nor do I need to know about the scorching lap times I can make with the new kid racer replica street bike. I want to escape reality for a few hours. I want to hear about trips in epic locations, see pictures that make me say "WOW" out loud. I want to laugh at witty jokes written by journalists who are larger than life personalities. Dan Walsh, Glen Heggstad, Ted Simon, Bill Bryson shit..even…Jeremy Clarkson! These writers keep us engaged with their stories because they tell inside jokes, poke fun at their surroundings, share their souls and had editors that allow their personalities to shine though.

Go out, find that talent, don't worry about "what a magazine should be". Re-invent it, be brave and hire me ( I work cheap).

Canoli

ps: Fit chicks with big boobs on the back cover

canoli screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:04 AM
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
JamieElvidge OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You guys are AWESOME! Thank you all SO much!

I am so inspired by all the comments here. I've been traveling (riding/testing) with no time to check in to the thread for the last couple of weeks...so I was freaking DELIGHTED to see so much valuable fodder here. I thank each and every one of you and will keep you posted on the status of our new Travel & Adventure Magazine. You can be certain we've taken your input to heart, and that you'll find some of these concepts come to life. Great ideas and input!

At the moment we're still stirring the pot. but the mag will come to a boil in May and be on newsstands in June!

Jamie

Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #60
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Magazines all tell the compression ratio, but not the recommended octane rating. I'll run regular in a 10:1 but 12:1 probably needs premium. There are enough bikes between these two that leave me wondering. None of the current crop of magazines is any help. Since the octane measurement methods differ in different countries, just a number won't do; it'd need to be a number plus method or simply different numbers for different countries.

(And can someone tell me why a motorcycle designed for rough roads would require premium? There are stations around my home that don't carry premium.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote