Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,244
I found this post by starbird1 on page 4 of the tires-wheels-suspension section @ www.aztekfanclub.com:

"For weeks after changing my 2001 AWD Aztek Air Conditioning condenser I developed a bad popping sound when I pulled out from a stop or went to backup. I first thought it was the ball joint, replaced that, still no change, then replaced control arm bushings again no change, So I just knew it was the CV shaft same old crap.
Yesterday as I was looking under the hood as my wife held the brake and put the Aztek from reverse to drive I happened to notice a very slight movement in the front brace that the air box sits on. Torqued the two little bolts a little tighter and guess what? No more popping . Hope this might help someone from going through what I went through."

No idea if that could apply to your situation. Strange that the site is up but you can't join. I also noticed that Google site: searching did not work. Hope the ACDelco parts fix the problem.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I found this post by starbird1 on page 4 of the tires-wheels-suspension section @ www.aztekfanclub.com:

"For weeks after changing my 2001 AWD Aztek Air Conditioning condenser I developed a bad popping sound when I pulled out from a stop or went to backup. I first thought it was the ball joint, replaced that, still no change, then replaced control arm bushings again no change, So I just knew it was the CV shaft same old crap.
Yesterday as I was looking under the hood as my wife held the brake and put the Aztek from reverse to drive I happened to notice a very slight movement in the front brace that the air box sits on. Torqued the two little bolts a little tighter and guess what? No more popping . Hope this might help someone from going through what I went through."

No idea if that could apply to your situation. Strange that the site is up but you can't join. I also noticed that Google site: searching did not work. Hope the ACDelco parts fix the problem.
Yeah, me too. I'll try to shoot some video of the spring getting hung up on the mount if anyone is interested.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
no kidding. I was unaware this software existed until they told me the other day.
The online shop manuals???? Yep my local mechanic wasn't too impressed when I told him about about the free back door access I found. He pays quite a large yearly fee for that.

My bloody Pontiac was built in Georgia, looks like they used their leftover parts as they did not sell them in the USAs 2008-9. Dumped them all into the Canadian market and closed the factory.

I bought that thing because they told me it would take a 4x8 sheet of something in the cargo area. Hum....what they didn't tell was that it is exactly 4 feet wide, no wiggle room and scratched plastics. And then if more than 3/4" thick like 3 sheets of drywall the tailgate won't latch all the way and you will be driving back home with the seat all the way forward and nose into the stering wheel.Just did that a couple days ago!

I'll send you a PM....looks like we will both need the manual to keep them things alive.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #34
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,287

Any new word from the shop?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #35
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

Any new word from the shop?
Awaiting parts.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #36
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Awaiting parts.
And I'll be curious as to where the ACDelco parts come from nowadays.Have a good look at the packaging if any.

My family went waaaay back to the 30's and 40's with GM. I must have installed 100s of their parts in my youth. Recently cut up one of their "new" oil filters, wasn't impressed with the quality and the obvious manufacturing defect. Not putting them on my bike that's for sure.

If you can, maybe pics of the "defective" aftermarket parts, should be some wear marks somewhere if creaking??? And then pics of the ACDelcos if just for quality control. Another winter of bad roads and I'll really need to restore the handling on that pig of mine and really don't want to do that twice.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #37
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,287
Quote:
Awaiting parts.

Is it time to find a new shop yet?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Awaiting parts.
So that's it? WTF Still waiting for parts? What happened?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
So that's it? WTF Still waiting for parts? What happened?
Well, they farmed it out to a domestic shop. Got the car back and as soon as I turned out of the shop (after hours) i've got a new noise. Sounds like a bad ball joint would sound, but that's not it. I jacked the car up and took the wheels off, used the go pro and tried to make the sound. Then i took a mallet and beat everything in the front, found a very loose bolt on the control arm to the frame. Now I'm wondering if the fastners loosen in the crash and now my bushings in my control arm are blown. Now my compressor for my air ride rear suspension gave up, and I've got to figure the rear out now. I haven't gone back or called them, I'm sure that they're sick of me but the suspension seems sound. No more creaking or popping from the strut and the spring is turning just fine. I'm going to take a guess and say that my rack and pinion is probably gone, and my control arm bushings. So as far as the shop is concerned, they've fullfilled their obligation to me. I paid no more money to the shop fyi. Thanks for all your help. I tried to video several times but had to have the car running and couldn't replicate the sound via video.