User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
wairau OP
richie

Oddometer: 1,288
turakirae head, wellington

just wondering if you can get right round the bottom from lake wairarapa to eastbourne? my linz map shows a track but its broken with a few gaps. anyone know? thanks
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,156
Nope, not on a motorcycle, or at least not without permission. There are a few landowners you need to get consent from, & a few of those are not motorcycle friendly. A few years back we got permission to do the portion from Orongorongo to Ocean Beach - that involved some track building because there are portions that are washed out (by streams) regularly.

You could ask one of the 4WD clubs - I've seen them get access - but I suspect that is with fairly large public liability insurance behind them.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
wairau OP
richie

Oddometer: 1,288
thanks anyway. after looking at google maps i figured pretty much what you said about the track through stream beds
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
ahebron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
You can get from Wharekauhau to Mukumuku Stream as it is a "public" 4wd drive track. The bit on the Wanuiomata Coast Road to Orongorongo Station is another bit with public access and then the section from Burdans gate North into Eastbourne. All the rest you will need permission.
A 4x4 Club used to run a trip round from Wharekauhau to Wainuiomata Coast Road as a fund raiser but I dont know if that still happpens. I do know the VCC Mlotorbike division did a trip along the Pencarrow Coast Road a few years back but I think it was and in and out trip. Hutt City Council is the one to talk too about the Pencarrow Eastbourne section but the road also goes into private land with unlocked gates but I dont know the rules about those. The speed limit on that road is 30kmh due to walkers and cyclists and often has tour buses going to the Lodge and Quarry trucks getting gravel from the beach.

Here is a photo taken today between Pencarrow and Baring Head to show how beautiful it is on that Coast
Name:  IMG_0732 (640x195).jpg
Views: 38
Size:  131.6 KB

Adrian
ahebron is offline   Reply With Quote