Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRider View Post
I like to carry spare bulbs for headlight and signals. Yeah, if they go out in the day, big deal and you can find them most small towns in the US, but if the headlamp goes on some dark road in east GA late at night you are going to have to camp right there, unless you have a spare.
I had my low beam go out about an hour and a half from home after 12 hours on the road. It was dark out but I have a set of PIAA lights and those were good for getting through towns and then I just ran the high beam outside of town.

If both my high and low went out I would have been cooked.

How do you carry yours? I suppose I would have to find a hard case of some sort.
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
I had my low beam go out about an hour and a half from home after 12 hours on the road. It was dark out but I have a set of PIAA lights and those were good for getting through towns and then I just ran the high beam outside of town.

How do you carry yours? I suppose I would have to find a hard case of some sort.
I keep them in a ziplock bag and try to cushion them among the luggage on my Bonnie. On my CB350 I have a small fork bag where all the bulbs, fuses, spare plugs, small screwdrivers, etc. are kept.

First time I realized my headlight had gone out I was in the middle of a tunnel on the BRP!

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
My packing list for my upcoming year+ ride around South America:

http://moto-mikey.com/the-moto-gear/the-gear/
Maybe see you on the road...departing for six months in October 2013

Now, back to the topic on hand!

Steve
R12GSA
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
Mrs.Murphy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Had to check and see if the old man had an alias. Same list we've used for thirty years - for 2 days or 2 weeks. Works for us.
Mrs.Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Maybe see you on the road...departing for six months in October 2013

Now, back to the topic on hand!

Steve
R12GSA
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #21
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:

I don't carry a spare H4 bulb all the time, but when I do it's in a short section of black insulation for 1/2" plumbing. I put a bit of paper towel around the glass part first then put it in the insulation tube then put that all in a ziplock.

I tried cases and medicine bottles, but any bottle large enough to take the H4 flange was pretty big.

Comment on the original list. I take more gloves. Gloves for dry and gloves for wet and gloves for cold and gloves for . . . . Fewer underwear and socks (you replied to this idea earlier).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I haven't done much bike touring but I have gone for week+ hiking trips in the back woods and I was able to get down to a really light pack. There are a few things that I would add / change. All of this of course is personal in the end so you will have to do what is right for you.

+1 on ditching the pillow. You already have a fleece with you.
Unless the Carhart pants are for riding I go for something lighter that will dry in a reasonable amount of time if they get wet.
5 socks + a pair of wool seems overkill. With a bit of washing 3 pair of smart wool socks will keep you warm in the winter and wick away sweat in the summer with a minimum amount of washing.

I know you posted a first aid kit but that is different things for different folks. Most people look at it as a few band aids and some antiseptic but if you are worried enough to carry a splint you may want to toss in some quick clot or something similar.
You can also pick up single use surgical staplers for a few bucks depending on how far out you are going.
I have found that regular baking soda works far better for me than tums and since its a power it packs anywhere and you don't have to worry about it getting crushed.
I'm a fan of taking a small dropper bottle of bleach along as well. A few drops in a water bottle will make all but the sketchiest of water safe (safer) in a pinch.

I'm still not sure I see what the lantern is for that you can't do with the head lamp but if nothing else it would be best if they all used the same battery.

If you find the right charger you may be able to get a single charger with multiple tips/cords for the things you need to charge.

While ziplock bags are great you may want to add a few trash bags to that list as well. They pack down to almost nothing and will cover things, hold things and replace a ground tarp in a pinch.
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
reinoud
ntvblue

Oddometer: 6
clutch and brake lever

I always carry a spare clutch and brake lever with me on a trip.(bought it for little money at Hein Gericke) Whenever you're bike will fall( riding or on a parking lot) , you' ll be able to continue your trip.
reinoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
If you've been doing this for years, you're in a great position to evaluate your packing list.

Look at your bags and see what things you never use, and what things annoy you. Then replace with alternatives and do more testing.

I wouldn't switch around things to much. If it works for you, it works for you.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 704
Thumb Packing list

After ten months on the road we have dumped stuff twice. Take items that have dual purpose. Take the headlamp , but forget the flashlight and lantern. I never used my Swiss Army knife and only used the leatherman. I sent the shovel home. I never wished I had more stuff.

Socks and underware are not luxury items so don't skimp there. To do laundry take a rubber flat disc sink stopper from a dollar store many sinks have no plugs in Latin America.

Being cold and wet are the worst so take more gear for that.

Driving from Inuvik to Panama City we found you can buy anything you need almost everywhere. Chain lube is not easy to find south of the US border. Oil was easy to find everywhere.

Good luck.

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
I'd add (or +1) one thing that's been hinted at..

Don't be afraid to pack stuff up in a box and ship it home (or make arrangements to ship to a friend). I've done that on almost every trip I've made - it allows me to ship home stuff (souvenirs etc) that I've purchased along the way, plus those things that I thought I'd need but simply don't - that third pair of socks for example.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
gregsfrontporch
B00b

Oddometer: 11
Having lived out of a storage unit for the last 9 years, one would think that I've mastered the art of packing. I haven't. I think the best advice I can add is to look at the stuff you took with you at the end of the trip and identify the things you did not use. Don't pack those items the next time. Obviously that doesn't take into account things like a rain jacket you didn't wear because it didn't rain etc. You'll typically always want that.

Basically I look at what space I have, take out all the things I think I want to take, then scale it down to what will actually fit. For air travel this should fit into a checked bag (25 to 30#'s max) a very light weight duffel and a laptop bag. I should be able to carry all without having to make multiple trips.

Each trip is different and you need to identify what you expect to do.
Generally, most of my trips are 4 weeks+, and for these I typically pack two pair pants (plus what I'm wearing) or two shorts and one pants (season/destination dependent), one long sleeve and two short sleeve shirts, about 5 sets of socks/scivvies. Toiletries, and we can't forget the bulking bag of electronics.

That is pretty much it. OK, I know this is a motorcycle thread and I am referring to airline travel, but the same list fits cleanly into my panniers and top box, and is basically the same, If I intend to camp, a hennessey hammock, pad, sleeping bag, stove and bike tools, and the bulky riding gear are the only difference, and they all still fit cleanly with a couple of rox straps on the pillion.
gregsfrontporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
Ducati7444
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I thought it would be nice to have a place to post your packing list and let others give their opinion on what you should have or lose. Plus get ideas from other packing lists.

Here is my packing list that I have been using for a few years. I never have used hotel rooms when traveling by motorcycle so I carry everything for camping always. This list is good for me if I'm going for a weekend or a month.

I am always open for suggestions, what do you think?

Bedroom
  • Ground Tarp
  • Pillow
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Sleeping Pad
  • Tent
  • Tent Poles
  • Tent Rain Fly
  • Tent Stakes

Clothes
  • 2 Shirts
  • Carhart Pants
  • 5 Underwear
  • 5 Socks
  • Camp Shoes
  • Riding Boots
  • Hat
  • Riding Jacket
  • Riding Pants
  • Fleece
  • Helmet
  • Belt
  • Riding Gloves
  • Long Underwear
  • Camp Pants
  • Sweater
  • Wool Socks/Liners
  • Heavy Gloves
  • Jacket Liner
  • Waterproof Gloves

Bathroom
  • First Aid Kit
  • Advil
  • Deodorant
  • Gas X
  • Imodium
  • Pepcid
  • Toilet Paper
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Wet Naps
  • Towel
  • Tooth Brush/Paste
  • Tums
  • Q-Tips
  • Icy Hot
  • Soap
  • Splint
  • Gold Bond

Kitchen
  • Stove
  • Stove Fuel
  • Waterbottle
  • Food
  • Sponge
  • Pots/Handle
  • Bowls
  • Matches
  • Lighter
  • Utensils
  • Salt & Pepper

Bike
  • Straps
  • Pack Rain Cover
  • Stuff Sacks
  • Dry Bags
  • Spare Keys
  • Ear Plugs

Camp
  • Flashlight
  • Lantern
  • Headlamp
  • Bug Spray
  • Shovel
  • Bear Bag

Tools
  • 10, 12, 13 Wrenches
  • 8, 10, 12, 13 Socket
  • Ratchet
  • Allen Wrenches
  • CO2 Tire Kit
  • Compressor (Air Pump)
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Duct Tape
  • Electrical Tape
  • Fuses
  • Jumper Cables
  • Multi Screwdriver
  • Multi-Tool (Leatherman)
  • Spark Plug
  • Swiss Army Knife
  • Tire Gauge
  • Tire Spoons (3)
  • Tubes
  • Vice Grip
  • Zip Ties
  • Side Cutters
  • Cotter Pins
  • Valve Stems

Electronics
  • Batteries
  • Camera
  • Camera Case
  • 4 SD Card
  • 2 Go Pro
  • 2 Go Pro Mount
  • 2 Go Pro Case
  • 4 Go Pro SD Card
  • Go Pro Charger
  • Phone
  • Phone Charger
  • GPS
  • GPS Charger
  • Small Flex Tripod
  • Tablet w/keyboard

General
  • Plastic Bags
  • Wallet
  • Maps
  • Cash
  • Pen & Notepad
  • Copies of Paperwork (emailed to self)
  • Driver's License
  • Insurance Card
  • Registration
  • Non-Resident Insurance
  • Passport
I'm happy I read yours because I forgot toilet paper
Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #29
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
3 suggestions?

Empty a small visine bottle or use a similar sized container and add liquid Benadryl. It saves a lot of down time scratching that skeeter or bug bite that will bother you all night or during the days ride where your gear comes into contact with it. Since you wrote down ear plugs, bring a extra handful they are cheap and you can stash them everywhere. I guarantee you will lose one if you only bring 1 set. Eye shades! If you are sick, hung over or just need an extra hour of sleep but that ray of sunlight is fighting you those eyeshades can buy some important snooze time and like the other 2 items they hardly take up any room. Good luck
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
My packing list for my upcoming year+ ride around South America:

http://moto-mikey.com/the-moto-gear/the-gear/
Thanks for the camping list tips. I am going to SA for six months and I'm finding the knowledge of those who've gone before me to be invaluable.

I am not a novice when it comes to packing my GSA, especially for two up camping. And I agree, less is more. For my upcoming California to Buenos Aires ride I'll have tons of room as I'm not riding two up.

Thanks again for the great information!