User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,073
How comfortable are pressure suits

I need new riding gear and have narrowed it down to 2 different suits.

1) Klim Latitude Misano with the armor

OR

2) Klim Traverse, no armor and with a Dianese Wave Pro under the jacket.

How comfortable is the Wave Pro to ride in, when you stop for lunch, photos, pee ...

How comfortable is it for an extended trip like 2 weeks?

How about using a heated vest over the Wave Pro in colder weather?

Is just a jersey or tee shirt over the Wave pro fine for warmer weather?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
I can only comment on what I have...
My Thor Impact Rig SE is far more comfortable than any injuries from bouncing off of rocks with "street" riding gear on with built in armor that can shift out of place off road. Look at my high speed dirt/rocks crash video on my website, the Impact Rig is crash tested and protected me from serious injury whereas I don't believe any standard jacket with armor in it would have.
I do wear a gerbings jacket under it in cold weather sometimes, works great, with it that close to your skin only low temp heated is needed, so it's possible. YYMV

I will usually take off the armor when sitting at lunch time, but have no issues with riding day in and day out with it on and leave it on all the times I'm not stopped at a restaurant, and yes just a jersey is great for hot weather, assuming you're not on pavement where you'll want to have your outer jacket on for abrasion protection.

Good luck!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
I tried a 661 rig and couldn't do it. Wore it for about 5 minutes before I turned around and traded out for my old plastic chest protector.

Rode up on my back, bunched up under my arms... just generally awkward to ride in.

I wear a Tekvest now.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Got a wave pro pressure suit and it is a bit bulky, though fortunately don't notice it that much on the bike (guess because designed for that). Still think some people would feel it was a bit much, other suits are lighter. You do feel safe in it though.

Not tried heated gear under, does sound a bit thight, and wouldn't wear it over. I wear heated vest at low temps, well under freezing point, but then under jacket with armour and separate back and chest protectors. And 3 feets of snow

Don't mind wearing pressure suit, though guess more comfortable with a jacket if not too hot, then pressure suit with cross jersey is fine, those cross shirts take some beating (not on tarmac though). But pressure suit is safest.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:46 PM
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
I tried a 661 rig and couldn't do it. Wore it for about 5 minutes before I turned around and traded out for my old plastic chest protector.

Rode up on my back, bunched up under my arms... just generally awkward to ride in.

I wear a Tekvest now.
While I'm quite interested in the TekVest i've had no problems with my 661 and have found it quite comfortable even with a Leatt.

Anyway, just a differing opinion...everyone's built differently so you (original poster) may have to do a bit of experimenting.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
I think for dirt oriented touring the pressure suit layer combo is more comfortable, I use a heated vest under mine on a regular basis.

I wear various ADV or leather armored jackets for around home commuting but for multiday trips the pressure suit and layers works better.

I took this picture after several days of riding and sleeping in temps over 100, two days later I was in the northern states riding in the frost, the ogio vest hanging beside my armor has the heated vest, rain shell and a down jacket in the pocket.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I was considering a pressure suit + jacket for daily use....I can say I tried on a few pressure suits, and the suits themselves werent uncomfy, but some of them were an absolute bitch to pull a jacket over the top of. I think it was a fox one, I couldnt get the jacket off by myself because of the way it hooked the chest protector.

When on everything seemed great. It was the going on and off part that sucked.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
My 661 pressure suit saved my ass twice in the last two years. Unfortunately the last time they had to cut it off so now no choice...getting a new one. Been thinking of the Leatt model which obviously works well with my neck brace. The main advantage is it stays in place when you crash.

Yes it gets warm but a small price to pay for the safety it provides
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I wear a Thor Impact Rig SE with a Klim Traverse jacket. It works fine and I don't notice the pressure suit while riding. While the (2012) Traverse is large enough it has an odd cut to it, it doesn't quite lay on the shoulders/armpit area very well. I don't notice it during riding, only when putting the jacket on.

When warm you can put a jersey over it or just wear the rig over your t-shirt.

I don't wear it daily though.

If I needed something daily, I'd get an armored jacket out of convenience. Donning the rig & taking it off certainly isn't as easy as a jacket. The suits are made to hug your body so the armor doesn't slide around on you. Since it is form fitting you have to tug at the bits & pieces to get them in the correct position.

If you've got a bit of a belly, it'll want to stick out the bottom of the rig or cause it to ride up a little bit.
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 180
I use the Thor Impact Rig. Very comfortable and flows a lot of air. Check out a great review here: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Thor-Impa...view_b_37.html

dhb400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,745
I wear a Cosmo. Comfortwise, it's fine, I don't even notice it UNLESS it's hot out. Then, whenever you stop or ride in slow, technical terrain, the bastard will burn you up. But I like it for fast single track and connecting trails. I don't wear the waist/kidney belt portion. There's no protection offered there anyway.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,073
Thanks for the info.

Now I'm leaning towards the Traverse jacket with the pressure suit and the Latitude pants with the armor. Kind of a combo of my 2 choices
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
FOX pressure suit

I wear a FOX pressure suit under a jersy or a non-armored jacket when it is warm.
Fits great & is very comfortable in the heat.

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
recycled dirt rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I wear an older TLD Descender (cloth mesh version of the leather Speed Jacket) and it is super comfy and cool with a jersey or non armor enduro jacket. Mobility is good too, originally got it for super-moto and it's very tough, only minor scuffs on the armor even after shreading a jersey or two Also has an adjustable kidney belt built in. I believe both are discontinued, but there some places on line that still have some available new, and of course you can find used ones around.

http://www.allsportprotection.com/Pr...ctCode=TLD0015
recycled dirt rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
tom pullings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just spend the day riding in my new thor impact rig se. It fits amazingly comfortable and I like how things will actually be in place if I crash. Only time will tell how durable it is but it wasn't expensive so I figure if I get a year out of it I'll be pleased.
tom pullings is offline   Reply With Quote