Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
mark_87 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Bluetooth Headset

Scalarider G9 & Sena SMH10

Haven't either system yet but am looking to buy one. Both seem to have features I like but neither seems to do it all.

I do have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer!!!

1) I see the SMH10 comes with a cigarette type charger and can be charged while using. Can you get one for the G9 and if so can it be used while charging.

2) The G9 comes with both a boom an wired (button) type mic. Is there such an option with the SMH10? Also what do you prefer as your mic choice, boom or wired (button) type?

3) If I have a SMH10 and a friend (other bike or passenger) has a G9 or other Scala Rider set can we still communicate or does the intercom functions only work with sets from the same range?
mark_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I have both.
1. You can not charge either and use them.
2. Yes the Sena 10 does have a earbud and mic accessory $29.00.
3. No! that is the BS all the company's do Scala to Scala or Sena to Sena! It's Bu!! Sh!t but true. You can get radios to talk between yourselves.

Really don't see much of advantage unless you listen to radio, then the Scala gets the nod.

Revzilla picked the Scala their choice!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,812
Actually, I know you can charge the Sena's and use them, but you better of a cig plug close to your head because that cord isn't very long.

Really though, I've never found a reason to have to charge it and use it. The batteries on the Sena's are awesome and can easily get 8+hrs staying in constant intercom mode or listening to music all day. If you think you might be having a really long day, a 30-45 min quick charge at lunch will easily get you through the rest of the day.

As for the button type mic, Sena does sell another base that comes with 2 different types of mics. One is a boom mic that is not actually attached to the base and can be put behind the padding inside the helmet so it doesn't have to come from up under neath the helmet. Works really well with modular type helmets.

The other type of mic is really just a pure wire mic with a little button type mic to stick on your full face helmet. I like this one the best for my full face helmets. The mic is way less instrusive than the standard boom mic attached to the base.

And as WRW9751 said, all of the units are proprietary. None of them talk outside their brand. You could add something like the SR10 and a 2 way radio to expand your talking other 2 way radio users.

I'm very happy with our Sena's. We came from the Scala Q2's and G4's. To me, the simplicity and ease of use of the jog dial is the bomb in the Sena setup. The speakers also sound better. Scala does have the radio and Sena is coming out with one with a radio too, but I never found it worked very well. I'd rather just listen to music from my phone.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 11:23 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,021
I haven't tried any of the Scalas. But, I want to echo what BlueLightning said. I have read documentation that says you can charge the Sena while using it. But, I also have never needed to. Done many all-day rides and neither or nor whoever I was riding with/talking to has ever run out of battery on the Sena before we were done riding for the day.

And, yes, the helmet clamp that comes with the Sena only has the boom mic (which is attached to the helmet clamp) and attached speakers. But, they sell 3 other helmet clamps that give you your choice of any combo of non-attached mic and use of ear buds or the attached speakers. And the two helmet clamps that have non-attached mics both come with 2 mics in the package. A small button on a wire that works great in a normal full-face helmet and a boom mic that is attached to the helmet clamp by a wire, so you can mount it where it's attached under the cheek pad of an open face or modular helmet.

Also, if you're comfortable with a little soldering, it's pretty easy to buy one of the $35 helmet clamps (or mod the one that comes with the Sena, if you don't mind having the attached boom mic) that has attached speakers and then modify it so you can plug ear buds into the Aux In port (making it more of an Aux Out port, instead). This gives you the option of going for a quick ride and not hassling with the extra step of putting in your ear buds but still being able to listen to music or talk on the phone, and then still plugging in your ear buds for longer rides where you want the superior noise blocking and better sound quality. I did this mod on my g/f's helmet clamp and it is nice to have. I will do it to mine also, when I get around to it.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
And, yes, the helmet clamp that comes with the Sena only has the boom mic (which is attached to the helmet clamp) and attached speakers. But, they sell 3 other helmet clamps that give you your choice of any combo of non-attached mic and use of ear buds or the attached speakers. And the two helmet clamps that have non-attached mics both come with 2 mics in the package. A small button on a wire that works great in a normal full-face helmet and a boom mic that is attached to the helmet clamp by a wire, so you can mount it where it's attached under the cheek pad of an open face or modular helmet.
Not entirely true.

Yes there are 4 different clamps for the SMH10.

SMH-A0301 = Boom mic, speakers
SMH-A0302 = Removable boom + wired mic, speakers
SMH-A0303 = Boom, headphones jack
SMH-A0304 = Removable boom + wired mic, headphones jack

You can buy either separately.

But you can buy a kit (single or dual pack) with either the A0301 (SMH10-10) or the A0302 (SMH10-11) clamp. No need to buy a separate clamps kit if you want the wired button mic if you don't plan to use two clamps on 2 different helmets. Just buy the right kit from the start.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Also, if you're comfortable with a little soldering, it's pretty easy to buy one of the $35 helmet clamps (or mod the one that comes with the Sena, if you don't mind having the attached boom mic) that has attached speakers and then modify it so you can plug ear buds into the Aux In port (making it more of an Aux Out port, instead).
If you have to buy a second clamp anyway, I think that you better buy the clamp with the jack output and then buy a set of flat speakers instead of hacking the one with the wired speakers.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
mark_87 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for the info everyone. Still haven't made my final choice but am getting closer.

1) The reason I ask about charging while using is not so much for the day-to-day riding but more for if I go on a trip for a few days camping.

2) I have done some more research and as SgtDuster said I have seen the different kits available. Not as many places stock the alternative solutions but they have them on their main site.

3) What a load of BS
mark_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_87 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Still haven't made my final choice but am getting closer.

1) The reason I ask about charging while using is not so much for the day-to-day riding but more for if I go on a trip for a few days camping.

2) I have done some more research and as SgtDuster said I have seen the different kits available. Not as many places stock the alternative solutions but they have them on their main site.

3) What a load of BS
I've usually made a habit of charging our headsets and camera's off the bike battery at night and have never had an issue. If you get to camp kind of early and plug in the headset right away, its usually charged before you head to bed.

What ever you decide to order, check with RocketMoto on this site. They are in the vendor section and have awesome customer service and give ADV members a 10% discount.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

You can find the SMH10D-11 dual kit on Ebay for 300$ shipped and for something like $260 + shipping (10-15$ maybe?) from RocketMoto.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 01:32 PM
SgtDuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
If you have to buy a second clamp anyway, I think that you better buy the clamp with the jack output and then buy a set of flat speakers instead of hacking the one with the wired speakers.

Yeah but... according to the hack thread the clamp kit with the earbud jack has 75 ohm resistor in series on each output, which you would need for earbuds but wouldn't this really limit the speaker output?

That is why I think the hack is better, as I believe it would have 0 ohms in series for the speakers OR 75 ohms series for the earbuds if they are plugged in... which sounds better to me. thoughts?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Not entirely true.
What did I say that wasn't entirely true? As far as I can tell, you just said the same thing I did, but with model numbers detailed out.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_87 View Post

Warm n Safe sells a USB charger adapter that connects to their standard coax battery harness. You could use that to charge your Sena, directly from your bike battery. Either, while you're riding or once you get parked for the day.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/usb-3with-pouch/
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What did I say that wasn't entirely true? As far as I can tell, you just said the same thing I did, but with model numbers detailed out.
Don't take it personnal, really.

I just wanted to clarify your post.

You said that "the helmet clamp that comes with the Sena only has the boom mic (which is attached to the helmet clamp) and attached speakers."

which is not entirely true since you can buy the Sena with the removable boom + button mic as a kit, not only as separate clamp like your post seemed to imply.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 10:46 AM
SgtDuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Got it. No offense taken.

I have never seen the Sena SMH-10 for sale as a kit that includes anything other than the helmet clamp with boom mic and attached speakers.

Are you sure that's available as a kit? I can only think that maybe Adam at RocketMoto has sold packages to people with the helmet clamp substituted - or just done as an a la carte deal. But, I still *think* I'm correct in what comes with the Sena - if you buy it as a factory-made kit.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got it. No offense taken.

I have never seen the Sena SMH-10 for sale as a kit that includes anything other than the helmet clamp with boom mic and attached speakers.

Are you sure that's available as a kit? I can only think that maybe Adam at RocketMoto has sold packages to people with the helmet clamp substituted - or just done as an a la carte deal. But, I still *think* I'm correct in what comes with the Sena - if you buy it as a factory-made kit.
The SMH10-11 kit is available on Sena's website, sold as the "universal microphone kit" and widely available if you type "smh10-11" in Google.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview