User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Question Jesse pannier questions

When you buy Jesse panniers, do you get to choose between the Odyssey-style mounts and the quick-click mounts, or is the mount determined by what pannier you choose? If you get to choose, which is better? I was thinking to go with the quick-clicks because they look smaller and lighter, with less metal to bend in a drop. Maybe less width, too?

Also, I was looking at the 9" safaris and the 11" safaris. 9" looks cool because of the narrow width, but do they have enough room for camping gear and other stuff for one person on tour? If you have the 9" cases, do you feel they're big enough or do you wish you went with 11" safaris (or 10" odysseys)?

(In case it matters, these would be for a R1200GSA.)

Thanks...
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
deltamed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
No one replied to this? It's a good question. I'm curious as well...
deltamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,399
It depends on what bike you have and what bags you buy.

As for which is better, depends on your preferences.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
I had the 11" Safaris with the quick click on my oil cooled 12GS. I told them what I wanted and it's what they sent. I believe you could choose which mounts, but don't quote me on that.

For reference, on my new water cooled GS, the only mounts available are the Odyssey style.

As far as the mounts themselves, I loved them. They were very quick on and off and had very minimal crap hanging off the bike when the bags weren't on. I liked the capacity of the bags, but realistically I could have done with packing less as most the stuff in my bags on trips never left the bags. This is something I intend on working on this year.

I actually still have the bags in my garage and they will be going up for sale very soon...
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,097
I have the Safari 110's with Odyssey mounts.
I'm not sure about the dimensional difference between the QD's and the Odyssey mounts but I'm happy with mine.
The Odyssey racks also allow you to move the panniers front to back several inches so you can keep weight forward when you aren't two-up.
Also ordered them with front mounted hinges because I have a hack.
I love the top storage for light stuff like a rain cover for the sidecar.
I have seen the QD mounts but wanted to stick with the frame style mounts.
Took a few pics of the removal of the old and install new ones.
Have to click on the link below, having a problem at the moment posting pics.
Cheers.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10177...CL6f9Ka0g9fGKA

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
Like Eric, I like the Odyssey mounts for the ability to adjust them fore and aft as my needs change. I use pannier toppers from Wunderlich to give me access to stuff I need to reach frequently while on the road. As for how much space you need, generally we all start out taking too much crap on trips, but with experience pare it down to just the essentials.

My Jesse bags and mounts have proven to be so sturdy over the years that I often call them my "rear crashbars." Perhaps someone else can speak to the ruggedness of the QD mounts in a get off situation.

Regarding the looks of the mounts when the bags are removed, I leave mine on all the time so it was never an issue. In fact, the GS is such an inherently ugly bike I don't really think about how it looks. Mounts, mud, scratches all add character.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
As for how much space you need, generally we all start out taking too much crap on trips, but with experience pare it down to just the essentials.
Good to hear from you Boondox and +1.
My original BMW adv panniers were loaded to the brim, now the right pannier is full of tools, while the left only has the bottom covered with a few things.
I find myself packing less and less "stuff" but still love the bags.
Yes, I know this method of packing makes for an unbalanced load, but the hack doesn't seem to mind.

Did anyone notice that the OP posted this LAST August?!
I guess better late than never...

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote