Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I bought the MSR world tour boots with the ATV sole about 12 years ago. Granted I had a dirt riding hiatus for about 6 of those years, but they got the snot used out of them the first 3 years and really have been used hard the last two years. Protection wise, they seem great to me. Have saved my ankles and feet countless times from rocks, stumps, get offs, etc. Most memorable being hitting a brush covered tree stump at probably 25mph. My foot was smashed perfectly between the stump, foot peg, and frame and it was sore for a few days, but nothing broken. Hard hit. Knocked me and the bike off the trail. Doubt a high dollar boot would have done any better.

I've thought about replacing them, but they hold up fine and are very comfortable. The only feature top of the line boots offer that I want is waterproof and until these wear out, it's not worth it to me to upgrade. YMMV.

Doesn't look like they make these boots anymore but the vx1 looks similar if not identical.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
I bought the MSR world tour boots with the ATV sole about 12 years ago. Granted I had a dirt riding hiatus for about 6 of those years, but they got the snot used out of them the first 3 years and really have been used hard the last two years. Protection wise, they seem great to me. Have saved my ankles and feet countless times from rocks, stumps, get offs, etc. Most memorable being hitting a brush covered tree stump at probably 25mph. My foot was smashed perfectly between the stump, foot peg, and frame and it was sore for a few days, but nothing broken. Hard hit. Knocked me and the bike off the trail. Doubt a high dollar boot would have done any better.

I've thought about replacing them, but they hold up fine and are very comfortable. The only feature top of the line boots offer that I want is waterproof and until these wear out, it's not worth it to me to upgrade. YMMV.

Doesn't look like they make these boots anymore but the vx1 looks similar if not identical.

I wear old HiPoints and you just can't kill them. I don't know how the toes would hold up in the case you speak of, but they were the ticket for a few decades. The ankle area is pretty tough, but the toe box is a bit lacking:

Still going, and wearing like iron. I'll be sporting them again dual sporting this spring.

I'm thinking the new AlpineStar waterproof Scout dual sport boots would be the trick. By the way AlpineStar still makes the HiPoint branded boot, but now it is the AlpineStar Super Victory.

Here are the Scouts:

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I'm thinking about getting some entry-level offroad boots. I'm getting a dualsport that I'm planning to use primarily for trail/offroad riding. I'm not going to be tearing through trails at high speeds or tackling anything overly difficult... But I know from my past limited dirt experience that I fall a lot when I'm off the road! I somehow lucked out and never sustained any serious injuries even though I'd only ride in sneakers or maybe some hiking boots if I was lucky. I've since grown up a bit and wised up as well.

Here's the thing, I already have a good pair of riding boots, the Sidi Adventure Goretexes, that I wear on my street bike. I love 'em, but wonder if they'll offer enough protection for offroad riding. I'd like something a bit taller and stiffer.

I really don't have a ton of money to spend on boots at the moment. Does anyone have any good suggestions for boots in the sub-$150 range? I don't need all the bells and whistles; safety is my primary concern here. Is there anything in this price range that offers much better protection than what I already have? Or should I just use my Sidis? Maybe wait a few months and buy something in a higher price range?
Yes, you should. Just like higher end boots, or any product, some are good and some are not. But categorical dismissal of entry level off road boots is wrong.IMO, you shoudl not use your Sidis, they are an an Adventure boot, and many missunderstand this critical difference.

In some cases, entry level boots have more protection, because they are more rigid. They may give up some comfort though.

I cannot comment on what to buy. But you can find good stuff out there close to, or within your price range.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I am in the new-to-dual-sport-riding category and have been slowly acquiring gear for a couple of months now. A pair of offroad boots has been my latest research/purchase project. Last night I picked up a pair of Sidi Chargers for $100 from Craigslist... Retail $375. My budget was ~$100-150 new or used. I debated on buying a new low end boot in that price range or searching for something more top of the line used. I am very happy with my purchase... My Sidi's have alot of life left, are much lighter than low end boots, and are very comfortable (already broken in!).

I know the OP is not interested in used boots but just thought I'd share my successful experience going the used route. I would have preferred to buy new boots but for me the comfort comparison between the Sidi and cheaper models was not even close.

Good luck!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
psychoscot
Heeland Cowboy

Oddometer: 27
You no buy used boots!!!

Buying used boots is like buying a used condom. You don't where they've been, who's been in them and what diseases they harbor. Thor Ratchet boots are a very good selection. MSRP $169.99. Way less expensive than a jacked up ankle or leg...
psychoscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,546
I bought a nice pair of 661 brand boots on craigs for 50 bucks. They were pretty clean, maybe worn a handful of times the owner said. But I took the insoles out and washed in bleach and water solution. I then wiped out the insides with bleach water.

I then soaked the whole insides with lysol spray.

Yes, I'm paranoid but I'm also a cheap bastard.

The boots are really great too.. Great reviews on other retailer sites as well.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...53-00-006.aspx
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #22
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Don't go with cheap boots, period. Plenty of people in here have said it already, but you will find many more "I broke my ankle in my cheap boots, now what are the best on the market?" stories, myself being one of them. I had a pair of $100 ARC racing boots which were decent, but left me with a plate, wires, and 9 screws in my ankle, several thousand dollars and several months on crutches later. I decided to buy a pair of Sidi crossfires after the fact, as they seem to be the best protection their is, with the top of the line Gaerne's and Tech 8's as the only possible contenders.

Boots are not at all like helmets, either in terms of price equalling quality or new v used arguments. With helmets, there is a price point where all you pay for are features, lighter weight, and cool paint schemes. Not so with boots, there is an insane difference in strength and protection withthe top boots. Secondly, helmets degrade with time, use, and can be nasty to put on your head unless they were rarely worn. Boots on the other hand hold up regardless and your feet are nasty anyways, so who cares as long as they are protected. I found my used Sidis for $75, and had I bought them in the first place I would have saved $25 on boots, several thousand dollars, weeks on crutches, and daily pain when I overuse my ankle.

If you still aren't convinced, then go to a place like cycle gear and try them on in person, see which offer the best protection for what you are willing to spend. But when you are stuck on the side of a trail with a broken leg, you will regret that $200 you saved, guaranteed.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,956
Buying used boot doesn't mean buying a pair of roaches out boots.

There are plenty of used boots out there that people of bought and found that they didn't like or that they don't ride much any more or what ever.

But your squeamish about buying used boots then don't buy them. But understand it is the best way to get a pair of reallyod boots in a klr price range.

Otherwise start looking for carry overs or close outs of garish colors.

Personally I really like my crossfires, and after. Ouple of crashes they are worth the 300 bucks they cost.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,142
Thanks for all the replies!

Well, I've done a bit of research and decided to up my spending limit a bit to around the $200 price point. I really like the Gaerne GX-1 boots. What do you guys think of these? They seem to get rave reviews by users on all the sites that sell them.

If anyone has these boots, how is the sizing? I wear size 45 in both Sidi and Alpinestars and the fit is perfect. In shoes I wear size 10-11, depending upon the manufacturer. Their size 10 is listed as a 44.5 and the 11 is listed as 46.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

In case anyone is interested, I went ahead and ordered the Gaerne GX-1s. I called Atomic Moto and they helped me out with sizing, so hopefully they'll fit well once I get them.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
In case anyone is interested, I went ahead and ordered the Gaerne GX-1s. I called Atomic Moto and they helped me out with sizing, so hopefully they'll fit well once I get them.
No experience with the GX-1, but Gaerne makes some nice boots. I have SG10s and I love them.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
The GX-1's look great! Seriously. If I was in the market for new off road boots I would be buying a pair in a heartbeat. Let us know how you like them.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
It's very easy to screw up your ankles or feet so don't go cheap, like they say get used if you have to! Unfortunately I had my tech 8's cut off my feet after a major crash where I broke my femur last summer. That really sucked as my backups are tech 3's which I find don't have that great protection.

IMO the sidi adventures are not suitable at all for serious dual sporting, ok for occasional gravel roads but on the trail no way.

By the way I bought the tech 8's used but in mint condition for half the price of new ones. Bit of a fluke finding them on craigslist given that I wear size 14!

Your boots cut off your feet!?!?!
I'm definitely not getting those boots!!!!

I read that three times before I figured out that the EMT's cut the boots off of your feet - not that the boots cut off your feet.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Wow! Atomic Moto has some FAST shipping. I ordered Tuesday late afternoon and they showed up at my house today. I used the normal free shipping method too. Less than 48 hours after ordering they were here. Can't beat that!

They feel about a half size too big. I was between the 10 (44.5) and 11 (46); I normally wear a 45. The smaller size would definitely be too small, so I'm glad Atomic Moto advised me to go with the larger of the two sizes. My initial impression of the boots is good... But all I've done is tried them on at home, so that really means about squat!

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #30
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
the reason i still have a left foot is because of tech 8 boots. So my input is get the very best you can.

Marc
1+
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote