Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
If one decides to do the lace up boots... watch out for the strings getting hung up on the shifter or the brake pedal.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Nice boots for not much come up on ADVRider all the time. That's where I got an excellent pair of Aerostich Combats. Keep your eye on the Gear site - I mean, like a hawk, and you'll find something in a week or two.
MotorcycleWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Max I bought a pair of Gaerne GX-1's for dual sporting and love them. Just over $200 new.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #34
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Max I bought a pair of Gaerne GX-1's for dual sporting and love them. Just over $200 new.
Thanks Dan. That's actually what I ended up going with! I got them in the mail last week and have gone out on one dirt ride in them. I like them so far.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #35
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Don't go with cheap boots, period. Plenty of people in here have said it already, but you will find many more "I broke my ankle in my cheap boots, now what are the best on the market?" stories, myself being one of them. I had a pair of $100 ARC racing boots which were decent, but left me with a plate, wires, and 9 screws in my ankle, several thousand dollars and several months on crutches later. I decided to buy a pair of Sidi crossfires after the fact, as they seem to be the best protection their is, with the top of the line Gaerne's and Tech 8's as the only possible contenders.

Boots are not at all like helmets, either in terms of price equalling quality or new v used arguments. With helmets, there is a price point where all you pay for are features, lighter weight, and cool paint schemes. Not so with boots, there is an insane difference in strength and protection withthe top boots. Secondly, helmets degrade with time, use, and can be nasty to put on your head unless they were rarely worn. Boots on the other hand hold up regardless and your feet are nasty anyways, so who cares as long as they are protected. I found my used Sidis for $75, and had I bought them in the first place I would have saved $25 on boots, several thousand dollars, weeks on crutches, and daily pain when I overuse my ankle.

If you still aren't convinced, then go to a place like cycle gear and try them on in person, see which offer the best protection for what you are willing to spend. But when you are stuck on the side of a trail with a broken leg, you will regret that $200 you saved, guaranteed.
You are assuming that you wouldn't break your leg or destroy your knee above the boot now, aren't you?

It is easy to make assumptions like that. I have noticed the prevalence of knee braces as motocross boots became stiffer and stiffer. Kind of tells you where the injuries go. As you stop the ankle injuries (how bad an accident was it to damage an ankle through the $100 MX type boots with the plastic inserts that even they have?) the tibia and fibula injuries start happening, then stopping that, the knee and femur injuries start to occur. It is simply a chain of events.

Clearly that isn't rationalization to not wear boots, but rather to point out that it isn't always a given that all injuries are prevented by simply adding strength to one area.

One other comment, a rider needs to consider what they are doing for the boots that will work for them. A serious dual sport rider - AMA competition type - would need a serious full on MX boot. A more casual rider of a dual sport riding with less risk and aggressiveness may do fine with a lower cost boot. The rider who will take higher risks on their big twin adventure bikes may need the plastic guard of the higher dollar MX boot to cover the possibility of having a heavy bike land on their leg (but there goes the knee). A rider of a 250 dual sport bike riding back roads and some casual trail riding may do fine with the lower buck MX boots. Then there is the rider that will ride and hike a bit. They need the flexibility of the boots like my old HiPoints or AlpineStar Scouts. Like may things, it is a give and take of risk assumption.

Trials riders are the perfect example of risk versus need. They need very flexible boots and take the increased risk of injury that the severe terrain and methods of traversing it will cause.

My casual back road riding and lighter off roading I've done over the years with my dual sport bear out that those old 35 year old HiPoints are fine. If I went back to serious off roading I'd be doing some decent MX type boots. It is the risk I take to have adequate road feel and walkability. I can wear those boots all day long walking a trail as well as riding, which is what our riding calls for at times.

One key thing. Those old boots have ankle inserts and shin protection. Few if any lace ups come close. I rode trials originally back in the 70s wearing lineman boots and can tell you they're not too good when it comes to smacking a shin and ankle protection is pretty much nill for padding and reduced flex. But better than Converse Coaches I occasionally would do as a young foolish teen.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:31 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote