Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
lrutt OP
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,125
Why do we do it?? torture? Personal satisfaction? What?

I have a lot of bikes, no doubt. It's not about just having things. The majority of these bikes I've fixed up, many brought back from the dead. Including the most current which is a work in progress, my 71 Yamaha RT1B.

Last night as I'm putting the freshly painted swingarm in the freshly painted frame. Greasing up the new bronze bushings in the swignarm, Mounting up the freshlly cleaned and polished shocks, putting in the freshly overhauled motor, I'm just thinking about how increadibly satisfying it is.

How satisfying to take a pile o crap that hasn't run in years, and transform it back to a thing of beauty. That is the ultimate satisfaction. Not to say I have xx bikes, but to admire the 42 year old paint that I spent countless hours touching up and rejuvinating so it looks amazing, to pickup that freshly machined cylinder from the shop, paint it up nice, and slide it down over that brand new piston. To hear that sound of new rings sliding in that freshly honed cylinder. to take a set of forks that were completely frozen and would not budge, and rebuild them to polished working masterpieces. And the ultimate joy, to have it all together and start it back up after it's extended slumber. to ride it and experience all that was good and bad with an old enduro from 42 years ago. And in my case. to relive my youth on the same kind of bike I had when I was in high school.

There is so much personal satisfaction in this hobby. I can spend hours just looking at these old beauties let alone get them out for a ride. I truly think that is what is wrong with so many in our society. Everyone should have a hobby that can provide them with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment, to challenge the individual and to develop new skills. Has to be more than just what you do at work, but something you really truly love and enjoy.

That is why I do what I do. and why I'll have to expand my shop before I die since I don't plan on quitting any time soon. I'd go nuts if I couldn't practice my hobby.

I'm sure I can't be the only one.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,264
I think it is a noble exercise. Keeping great bikes on the road.. Alive and running. Along with that comes the knowledge and expertise that can be shared..
I shudder at the thought of bringing in a 20 year old bike to a shop ie: airhead, and getting blank stares..
I am on a bike "fixin" hiatus... Its more of a time thing... Im lucky enough to still own a bike with family life in full swing, so my bike has to be turn key and go.
However when free time does return, there is nothing like a late night shop session with some amazing tunes, some liquid refreshments and old machine being brought back from the bin...
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
We do it for the babes.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,933
We give new life to the rusting hulks and other beasts discarded by the careless mob. We see the splendor that could be. We see the beaming child that will roam the highways and backroads of the WORLD! We give LIFE! We are GOD!

Just kidding, we are sadomasochists. The only thing the World gives us is a suspicious stare.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Speaking from my personal experience, I gain a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I did it. It does not matter if I知 on the track in my car or on the trails on my motorcycle, or winning the race or just a participant, I知 the guy who build the car or motorcycle and no one to blame but me if something goes wrong. And if everything goes right, I知 the one who made it right. Guess that sounds egocentric but do not make any less true, at least for me.

Guess that is why this fourm has a strong appeal to me, like minded people.
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
Speaking from my personal experience, I gain a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I did it. It does not matter if I知 on the track in my car or on the trails on my motorcycle, or winning the race or just a participant, I知 the guy who build the car or motorcycle and no one to blame but me if something goes wrong. And if everything goes right, I知 the one who made it right. Guess that sounds egocentric but do not make any less true, at least for me.

Guess that is why this fourm has a strong appeal to me, like minded people.
+1

Starting with an old bare frame, a rusted engine, a tangle of wires, and boxes of misc. junk, and eventually making it into a "living" entity brings forth a satisfaction like nothing else.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
+1

Starting with an old bare frame, a rusted engine, a tangle of wires, and boxes of misc. junk, and eventually making it into a "living" entity brings forth a satisfaction like nothing else.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,027
I just can't pass up an orphaned non running vehicle. It's an illness. Unfortunately, my finances dictate to the amount I can put into any of them. I like when you can take a pile of neglected junk and actually use it for it's intended purpose. That is satisfying.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
we do it for the babes.
+1

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
And the ultimate joy, to have it all together and start it back up after it's extended slumber. to ride it and experience all that was good and bad with an old enduro from 42 years ago. And in my case. to relive my youth on the same kind of bike I had when I was in high school.

There is so much personal satisfaction in this hobby. I can spend hours just looking at these old beauties let alone get them out for a ride. I truly think that is what is wrong with so many in our society. Everyone should have a hobby that can provide them with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment, to challenge the individual and to develop new skills. Has to be more than just what you do at work, but something you really truly love and enjoy.
good post and well put. I'm always amazed at the restorations of old scrap heap bike's to pristine jewels. I wish I could do it. My drug is the camera. Not a picture of me but one I took of some people you described, and I've never even met them.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
I call it the sense of "garage accomplishment".
I don't need to complete a restoration to get it. Just completion of a mechanical task or two in the garage does it, and it sure feels good!

Very nice post, OP.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,110
What?
Sometimes a small source of additional income for me.
I'm a seasonal construction worker so have some time off in the Winter months.
I'm constantly "on the hunt" for older, dead bargain bikes. Over the past 20 odd years I've resurrected around 50 motorcycles. Most of them developed fuel system issues from sitting and were fairly simple fixes.
But a guy has to be cautious not to get into a money pit if a profit is to be made.
Get lucky on occasion. This 1979 Suzuki GS850G (18k or so miles) was a $350.00 find. Only had carb. intake manifold vacuum leak issues that the owner couldn't figure it out and he wanted it to go away.
It was a filthy mess but with a day of intense cleaning I think it came out pretty good. It went to a new owner and was a nice runner.

There are at least a dozen cool older bikes, I've got running and passed to new owners, that I wished I could have kept.

Hope to gather up at least two bikes this summer for next winters projects.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 05:53 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Suncountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I look at it as more of a disease, I just can't help my self. I see an old bucket of bolts and just have to rescue it. I am currently on a break, my kids college expenses are using up my fun money.
Suncountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
good post and well put. I'm always amazed at the restorations of old scrap heap bike's to pristine jewels. I wish I could do it. My drug is the camera. Not a picture of me but one I took of some people you described, and I've never even met them.

That is a great pic, love the look in his eyes. Not sure how old that guy is but sure he is older than me and hope I still have that much fire when I'm his age. I'm pushing 50 so I'm on the right track :)
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
In my case I just like fixing old motorcycles up. I find true satisfaction taking an old unwanted bike and breathing new life in it.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote