Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
All the above,when I stop somewhere old motorcycle guys always come up and check my bikes out too.They (or a buddy) either had one or rode one and usually are the most interested and thoughtful in their comments.

I was sitting up at the bar having a beer and a guy walked up to the bartender and asked "who owns that old Honda out front?I want to meet that guy".I introduced myself and we talked for awhile,he was a nice guy and could still recall most every performance figure from 1982.

Older machines always get my attention too,I seek out owners or hang around until they show up.It's either in you or it's not,love for old bikes is hard to fake.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
lrutt OP
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,108
True dat. Some people are only infatuated with the latest and greatest. Just worried about tech and 1/4 miles times etc.

I have my RT1 about 98% together now. Just need to wetsand and polish the original paint on the tank to try and get it back to an acceptable look. Was able to salvage the original tank badges wtih a bit of boiling water to press them back to shape, then spray paint the back side to get the black contrast looking good. Could have dropped $70 for new ones but they are chinese and just look TOO good if you know what I mean.

When at all possible, I will rejuvinate the original parts, even if they are not perfect. After all, they are original and the bike is 42 years old so IMO it needs to show some battle scars.

And while I am totally committed to working on these old things, I always hold true to never putting more money in them than they are worth. I'll make them mechanically sound, will do all my own paint (no PC), and no re-chroming. And I will not 'over restore' them. Typically use rattle cans for frames, motors, and some body parts. I'll shoot acrylic enamels for tin work (typically what they were originally).

Kills me to see a guy at a show wtih a 68 bonnie telling me how my fuel lines are not correct for the bike. So my bike has no tits on the tires, a greasy chain, and some dirt under the fenders cause it gets ridden, while his is spotless and tits all over the tires :(. Probably doesn't even have oil in it????

Oh well, I guess he's just more dedicated to this than I am :)
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,114
I am never impressed by what someone owns, but I am impressed by what they do.
Build/restore/maintain a bike or car or house or boat and you get my respect.
Way too many people think that having something is great, its not, making something, fixing it, improving it is what really gives satisfaction and pride.

If I had time, money and space, I would have a huge collection of old bikes and spend lots of time working on them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Here's a favorite build of mine.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772319

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
that one's pretty tough to beat but at least that is a hot bike. someone on adv did similar work to a Yamaha 175. talk about a less than inspiring bike but he tweaked it a little and it rocks.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
True dat. Some people are only infatuated with the latest and greatest. Just worried about tech and 1/4 miles times etc.

I have my RT1 about 98% together now.
always like the 360's. I started riding in 1971 with a 100 cc Kawasaki. my older cousin got us into riding and he had a new DT1. didn't see a RT1 in person until 1972 but when I did it was like seeing the holy grail. the 72's were the solid paint schemes with no stripe. my second bike ever was a 72 CT2 and then moved up to a leftover 72 DT2MX in 73. I was pretty well armed for 15.

the 1972 DT2MX and RT2MX's are 2 of the sweetest looking bikes ever, particularly the RT2MX with the black stripe. Gorgeous bike in my book.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
that one's pretty tough to beat but at least that is a hot bike. someone on adv did similar work to a Yamaha 175. talk about a less than inspiring bike but he tweaked it a little and it rocks.

I can't match the talent of a lot of the folks here on Advrider, but I'm working on a pretty rusty Stinger. Unfortuately, I cannot do the chrome or paint work, so I won't be able claim any credit for that. We'll see how it turns out.

unknown
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,375
Why do we do it?

To learn? Learning something new causes our brains to release dopamine and feel good. Just learning.

To know? When something isn't right while I'm riding, I have a pretty good idea about the workings and pieces involved. Just that knowledge is as good as having a manual with me.

For practice? Having had all my engines open means I know the ins and outs of opening them the next time. The unknown can be daunting while the known is comforting. (But the unknown can also beckon us to learn.)

For sanity? It may be Spring in Maine, but the forests are still white and the roads are piled with salt. I've been out, but not these past 2 weeks. Meanwhile I have these pistons to re-ring.

My projects are more modest -- turning rolling non-runners into travelers. I've never started with a box of rusty parts.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
lrutt OP
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am never impressed by what someone owns, but I am impressed by what they do.
Build/restore/maintain a bike or car or house or boat and you get my respect.
Way too many people think that having something is great, its not, making something, fixing it, improving it is what really gives satisfaction and pride.

If I had time, money and space, I would have a huge collection of old bikes and spend lots of time working on them.
Agreed. Having a bunch of old bikes in a sig line usually tells me that person has a brain in their head and some skills. I catch a lot of shit for my sig line on here. Many think I'm just bragging or whatever but that is not the case. Likely most of the people that comment do not understand what it takes to bring that old iron back to life. And oddly enough, I enjoy tinkering with them as much as riding.

I like this part of Advrider better than all the rest, at least we are all like minded in here.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
That's definitely a nice one but it's also an example of "let's throw money at the wall and see if it sticks."

I'm more impressed by the vast majority of not-so-wealthy talent on this forum that manages to build equally as beautiful bikes on little to no budget.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
That's definitely a nice one but it's also an example of "let's throw money at the wall and see if it sticks."
I disagree. Given the condition of the H2 you weren't going to resurrect it the way he did without throwing a lot of money at it there is just no way around it. If you want to do a one off custom of something you can get by on the cheap that H2 is Pebble Beach quality and credit is due and deserved particularly in light of the condition it was in.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I disagree. Given the condition of the H2 you weren't going to resurrect it the way he did without throwing a lot of money at it there is just no way around it. If you want to do a one off custom of something you can get by on the cheap that H2 is Pebble Beach quality and credit is due and deserved particularly in light of the condition it was in.
+1, factor in the purchase price (op made money off the restorer), shipping cost (it went to the UK) add that in that most of us would not have had to put in. I used to be into British cars, I've seen the brits take a rusty hulk and turn it into a really nice vehicle. Next time your at a newstand, check out Practical Classics. We in the states are spoiled by the way we can pretty much dump vehicles when they get a little rusty or break down.

unknown
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

I've subscribed to Curvy's build as well, his is closer to my budget.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859229

Ok, maybe Mullet's build is closer to my budget.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618122

unknown
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Iron_HawK
Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer: 52
Great thread here! The original post is well written and inspirational in itself. I'm 22 years old and I might have a different reason I do it... Granted I don't have the funding to spend on what I wish I could do, I like the mind set of the restoration. It's a different way of thinking. It's a form of expressing myself through the mechanics of a machine. It's a form if art. I wish I had more time and money to focus on the building and restoring of bikes and trucks. For people like us this is what we love and breathe. I wish there were more people that would focus on rebuilding instead of buying the newest and "greatest". I'm sort of jealous by the older generations where they grew up with these 60s 70s and 80s bikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a gearhead mind set and that's what keeps us going.

Iron_HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I just finshed (sort of) rebuilding my '76 Guzzi Convert for the second time in 7 years. I really enjoyed it.........I think.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote