Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Solihull
Screw it, let's ride.

Oddometer: 128
I've ridden almost 1000 painful miles with dynabeads installed. IMO they absolutely suck.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Use a small kitchen scale to weight. And I just put them in a Baggie. Dan at Adventure Cycleworks was using old pill bottles to store
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
They're snake oil.

Tried them out on a bike with sealed spoked wheels. The beads effectively bead-blasted the wheel, causing catastrophic pressure loss at highway speed with my daughter on the back of the bike with me.

Aside from that, there was nothing any better about the ride or the tire wear as compared to weights. Other than the placebo effect, they're worthless. With sealed spokes, they're dangerous.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
They are the best thing since canned beer. People who say they don't work must ride funny.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
They're snake oil.

Tried them out on a bike with sealed spoked wheels. The beads effectively bead-blasted the wheel, causing catastrophic pressure loss at highway speed with my daughter on the back of the bike with me.

Aside from that, there was nothing any better about the ride or the tire wear as compared to weights. Other than the placebo effect, they're worthless. With sealed spokes, they're dangerous.
Yea ok. There are thousands of people for whom they work fine.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
They're snake oil.

54k miles using DynaBeads and never a bit of trouble with them.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 958
When your tires are new and shiny, wheel weights are fine... It's when you have 8,000 miles on your tires and they are chipped & chunked & cupped, you get on that long strait stretch and you give it some thought, hey these feel pretty good...
that is when the Dyna-beads shine....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #23
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Yea ok. There are thousands of people for whom they work fine.
Or don't know any better.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Quote:
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that the beads could damage your wheel.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Some need a scapegoat. Others don't understand the science. And that is okay. One does not need to understand physics to appreciate gravity. But denying that gravity exists because one does not understand it would be silly.

I would not ever ride, drive or fly without dynamically balancing the moving parts. I don't care who swears on their mothers grave, or produces a stack of documents and certifications, it means NOTHING once the parts start turning. I have some experience balancing aircraft props and helicopter rotors dynamically, and can state empirically that a static balance does not provide a dynamic balance. Just because you can't feel the vibration, does not mean it isn't there. Once the vibration reaches an amplitude that it becomes noticeable, it may be too late. I'm sure everyone has heard a story or 2 about someone getting into a tank-slapper that just happened without warning...

I also enjoy the benefits of Dynabeads in all my vehicles tires. I refuse to pay $10 or more to have each wheel balanced by the lowest paid grease monkey in a shop, using a machine that has not been calibrated since it was installed 10 years ago. Especially since that balancing is worthless after a few days. The beads, on the other hand, dynamically balance the wheel every time they start turning. And they will do so very accurately, every time, throughout the life of the tire. With no cupping, scalloping, feathering, or other strange wear patterns. The size and weight of the individual beads determines how precise the balancing can be. And Dynabeads are rather tiny...

Sent from my iPad2
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

No one's denying gravity, nor is anyone dismissing the benefits of dynamic balancing. The beads simply can't work to constantly balance a tire given the fact that there's always a flat spot at the contact patch and the beads will be redistributed on every rotation of the tire. The best they can do is damp the vibrations.

A product like the Centramatic will consistently dynamically balance the wheel/tire combination without the issues the DynaBeads have.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Some need a scapegoat. Others don't understand the science. And that is okay. One does not need to understand physics to appreciate gravity. But denying that gravity exists because one does not understand it would be silly.
OK, how about centrifugal force? Wouldn't this dictate that the beads move outward to the point on the tire that's the furthest away from the center? How is this related in any way to the lightest part of the tire (which is where you'd want them to settle if they are to act as balance weights)?

Let's say they do somehow (through some, as of yet, unexplained physical phenomenon) find the lightest part of the tire and settle there... what happens when that part of the tire comes around and gets flattened at the contact patch? The little balls go flying everywhere! You expect me to believe that this cycle (balls magically find the lightest spot and settle into it -> balls go flying everywhere -> balls find spot magically again) can happen so fast with each tire revolution that the balls actually are in position long enough to affect wheel balance?

C'mon dude, if you're going to rely on scientific arguments to defend Dynabeads, at least think about what you're proposing. If you said that they offer a great placebo effect and that's good enough for you, I'd buy that.

In reality, this is what the dynabeads are doing inside the tire:

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,673
The part I dont understand with Dynabeads is the fanboys never balance their tires to begin with so they dont even know if they work. To say I installed them and had no balance issues is crap becuase many modern tires require none or very little weight to balance them anyways.

and for even more a fun discussion why does the super competive world of MotoGP not use them ?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
OK, how about centrifugal force? Wouldn't this dictate that the beads move outward to the point on the tire that's the furthest away from the center? How is this related in any way to the lightest part of the tire (which is where you'd want them to settle if they are to act as balance weights)?
No, the beads (like any object with mass) have inertia and resist movement.

See http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx for info.

And if you really think that the inside of your tire flattens at the bottom when in motion above 10-15 mph, you're doubtless running yours underinflated.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
No, the beads (like any object with mass) have inertia and resist movement.

See http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx for info.

And if you really think that the inside of your tire flattens at the bottom when in motion above 10-15 mph, you're doubtless running yours underinflated.
Ah yes, inertia. Well, herein lies the problem. From your link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabeads Website
So how do Dyna Beads work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabeads Website
Thinking in linear terms, Dyna Beads act as harmonic mass dampers. (Wikipedia) As the axle goes up, the beads at the bottom of the tire resist the upward movement (Physics 101 - a body at rest remains at rest until acted upon by some other force). As the axle goes down, the beads at the top of the tire resist the downward movement.

The only problem is that they don't talk about what happens to the beads that were at the bottom of the tire once the tire has gone up and then down again (like it will with every bump in the road), or the beads that were at the top of the tire once the tire has gone down and is starting to go up again. Inertia dictates that they will continue to try to go up/down until they run into something. Imagine you have a pile of dynabeads in your hand. You rapidly move your hand upwards - the dynabeads will stay in place and they will provide some damping to the upward movement of your hand- true enough so far. Then you move your hand rapidly downwards. Tell me, what will happen to that pile of beads in your hand? Now imagine that it's not your hand but a tire that's being rapidly moved up and down many times per second by the combined forces of gravity, road bumps, and suspension damping/rebound. Suddenly this Eutopian vision of a tire spinning nicely about it's axis and all the happy Dynabeads in their place doesn't seem quite so plausible.

And yes, motorcycle tires (all tires, in fact) deform at the contact patch. If they are properly inflated it may not be much but it's enough such that the tire is NOT perfectly round as it spins.

So where does this leave us? With a whole lot of forces acting to dislodge the dynabeads from their optimal position.