User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Let's Roll

Burts dog, defending the motorcycle in Yuma. Doesn't have anything to do with the report, but this dog has attitude!

IMGP2185.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Team Leader and beverage advisor - Burt

IMGP2189.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

His Lieutenant - "I don't camp" Mike

IMGP2191.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The guy on the 'orange' bike - Senior Alto Ken

IMGP2192.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mr. Gregg with 2 g's (Although I actually count 3 g's)

IMGP2187.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

And Myself - Couldn't take a picture of myself riding, so this is how my bike looks and how I roll

IMGP2197.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Santa Ana Hotel $280 Pesos for a double. I took a single for the first couple nights as I had a cold and didn't want to spread the curse.

IMGP2202.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Did a little walking around and shopping. Not too many tourists go to Santa Ana, more of a stopping off point.

IMGP2212.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

My traditional melanese torta when in Santa Ana.

IMGP2213.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I didn't wait for the water to get hot and had a refreshing cold shower. Everybody got to bed early (I think), I had dreams of conquering the &#@#*&%ing hill that took me down twice last year.

Todays track

View Larger Map
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 03:09 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Nothing like a Copper Canyon ride report

With some familiar & familia faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I had dreams of conquering the &#@#*&%ing hill that took me down twice last year.

Was it only last year for that &#@#*&%ing hill ?

Wish I could have made the "Gunn run" this year. Looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Good luck with the hill....

Nice looking KTM 690 Ken...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Wow, 14 seed beat a 3 seed in the opening round......back to the moto's.....

Day 2: http://goo.gl/maps/DKhOh

Another pavement day around 300 miles. These are toll roads, one northern section costs motos 46P and several cost 32P so Burt has a work around for the toll section around Hermosillo that included a stop in Pesqueria for a great breakfast in a very nice place across from the police station.

Great food

And a great gal serving it, she was Jessica from the city of Chihuahua and was very excited to hear where we were headed.

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post

Wish I could have made the "Gunn run" this year. Looking forward to the rest of the journey.

I heard a lot about that silt and that hill. That and the river crossings were the challenges I had to contemplate......

We would have enjoyed your company on this ride Brad, you would have enjoyed the 690. It's a perfect bike for this type of ride. You do have to be careful with the throttle though because unlike the WR, it will dislocate your shoulders if you "wring the chicken" as Burt says......

Sign me up for the next "Gunn run", this one was a great experience.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860

When researching for some Moab area riding last year, I came across a Yammie done up like this on the internet....the guy had some pics and rides that was informative and helpful in the Utah-Colorado area....

Was that you, or is there a Yamahaha cult thing with 17 inchers?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The long pavement day continues with the run down to Guaymas. As I was sending home updates via WiFi that day, I referred to it phonetically as Whymas.......

Not much stopping, Mike made a cool video running across the bay but I don't have access to it.

With a quick stop for gasolina, we had some interesting interactions with the locals.....

We pull into Navohoa.

Find the Burtotel and have another early dinner and night. WiFi here supported Skype again.

Still waiting for Gregg to show up and pull out some of his photos. I know you're lurking.........
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,230
Awesome! Looks like a great time.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

When researching for some Moab area riding last year, I came across a Yammie done up like this on the internet....the guy had some pics and rides that was informative and helpful in the Utah-Colorado area....

Was that you, or is there a Yamahaha cult thing with 17 inchers?
Wasn't me, maybe it was bigdogadventure(?). Its not so much a cult thing as it is a vertically challenged thing!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post

Sorry you couldn't make it. This freaking hill has been haunting me for one year. Wake up in cold sweats thinking about it. Who will be victorious this year? Who will eat dust? Is that all you got MEXICO, give it to me!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,468
Ok.....

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
Wasn't me, maybe it was bigdogadventure(?). Its not so much a cult thing as it is a vertically challenged thing!

Nope, it wasn't Mark ...some other guy who wants his bike to look like a TW

Waiting for the Canyon.....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #27
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
I'm here just very sucky with the tech stuff, is there an easy way to insert images?

805gregg screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 08:18 AM
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Dia Dos

Chabon's Day 2

Lot's of slab today, a little shower here and there, no traffic, good roads.

IMGP2218.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

This was the scene of the first get off of the trip. No motos were involved, only a brittle plastic chair and Mike's attempt to lean back into it. Lucky he didn't get a plastic splinter in his ass. Is this a sign? Is Mexico on to us? A long ways to go still.

IMGP2220.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Your standard food, good, simple, and sticks with you.

Instant coffee is what you get for the most part. The OXXO's serve better coffee, I suspect its based on coffee syrup, but better. Big caffeine/instant coffee plant in Hermosillo you might smell when driving through. Mexico has a lot of robusta beans, better suited for instant coffee than your drip or brewed beverage.... and the rest of the story
http://www.worldcoffeepress.com/417/mexico-to-push-ahead-with-explosion-in-robusta-coffee-production/

IMGP2221.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Sugarplum fairies, in Mexico? Go figure

IMGP2224.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Second night, Navajoa, been here before. On the edge of town at the Oro Negro. Nothing really open for dinner so we rode back into town and got some good sidewalk tacos. Ken and Gregg made a stop at a big grocery store to do some tequilla shopping. This was to be license, legal, real tequilla. They have better stuff further down the road, that is, if your liver can handle it.

Tomorrow our goal is El Fuarte......... Don't worry, its gets better

chabon screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:51 PM
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Looks like you guys are having fun.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Lets check the latest State Department Report

Got some time to kill before we get to the good stuff so let's break down the State Department Travel Warning they issued for Mexico. Let's see now.......

Sinaloa: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Sinaloa except the city of Mazatlan where you should exercise caution particularly late at night and in the early morning. One of Mexico's most powerful TCOs is based in the state of Sinaloa. With the exception of Ciudad Juarez, since 2006 more homicides have occurred in the state's capital city of Culiacan than in any other city in Mexico. Travel off the toll roads in remote areas of Sinaloa is especially dangerous and should be avoided. We recommend that any other travel in Mazatlan be limited to Zona Dorada and the historic town center, as well as direct routes to/from these locations and the airport.

Okay then, defer essential travel? Well, moto ride to Copper Canyon is essential, so thats okay.

Travel off the toll roads in remote areas is dangerous? Well, you do have to watch for cross traffic where ever you are, no problema.

Sonora: Nogales, Puerto Peñasco, Hermosillo, and San Carlos are major cities/travel destinations in Sonora -see attached map to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel between the city of Nogales and the cities of Sonoyta and Caborca (which area also includes the smaller cities of Saric, Tubutama, and Altar), defer non-essential travel to the eastern edge of the State of Sonora which borders the State of Chihuahua (all points along that border east of the northern city of Agua Prieta and the southern town of Alamos), defer non-essential travel within the state south of the city of Ciudad Obregon with the exception of travel to Alamos (traveling only during daylight hours and using only the Highway 15 toll road, aka cuota, and Sonora State Road 162). You should exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco. There is no recommendation against travel to San Carlos. Sonora is a key region in the international drug and human trafficking trades, and can be extremely dangerous for travelers. The region west of Nogales, east of Sonoyta, and from Caborca north, including the towns of Saric, Tubutama and Altar, and the eastern edge of Sonora bordering Chihuahua, are known centers of illegal activity. U.S. citizens in Puerto Peñasco are encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security following a July 2012 mid-day gun battle between TCO members and increases in reported robberies and assaults against U.S. citizens. Additionally U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco are urged to use the Lukeville, Arizona/Sonoyta, Sonora border crossing, in order to limit driving through Mexico. Travelers throughout Sonora are encouraged to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours.

Red highlights are area's we have been to or will be going to. This should be interesting. We've made it this far, what could go wrong? We have our SPOTS, we are invincable.