Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
DirtMedic OP
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 195
What is the weirdest/ most interesting thing you have found while riding?

I love getting out in the woods and exploring. I also enjoy Florida history. So the question is: What are some of the weird or most interesting things you have found while riding in Florida?

I have found a 19th century sugar mill. Old cisterns and the remains of a nearby house. A cypress tree in a swamp that had to be nine feet in diameter. I also found the ghost town of the saw mill that cut the cypress trees. The area was clear cut at the turn of the last century and somehow they missed that one tree. Lots of abandoned cemeteries and homesteads. I have even found the remains of a turpentine camp in Withlacoochee Forest. I have a long list of finds and most of it is where I live here in Hernando County.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,813
We were in a sand bowl in ONF when a buddy turned around and churned some sand up. I saw something come up in the sand. Rode over a retrieved a pill bottle. Percocet, I put them a plastic bag and they rode in my first aid kit till they mostly turned to dust, then tossed them. First I asked if any other riders wanted some, one guy took me up on it.
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
We were in a sand bowl in ONF when a buddy turned around and churned some sand up. I saw something come up in the sand. Rode over a retrieved a pill bottle. Percocet, I put them a plastic bag and they rode in my first aid kit till they mostly turned to dust, then tossed them. First I asked if any other riders wanted some, one guy took me up on it.
The part PK left out is he was riding alone. Besides I think the most interesting thing you found was that marked pothole.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I've found enough building supplies, furniture and appliances to build and furnish a house.

Would have to patch the bullet holes though.

Many years ago down south of homestead we found the remains of an abandoned car. all that was left was the engine, trans, rear axle. It was so badly oxidized the engine was just a lump of rust with a lump of powdery gray aluminum for a carb. Even the cast iron trans and rear axle were unrecognizable.

I've run across a couple of mobile homes where I thought "how the F did they get that out here?"

Not much exciting though.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 938
Me and the wife had one normally fast rider drop back in the pack one ride 3-4 years ago. We stopped and waited and after about 5 minutes or less he caught up. We asked "what happened" and he said "nothing", just taking it easy. After the group split up and departed and went home in the usual "gotta be home by..." fashion, we decided to go back the same way that we came which we would normally not ever do. I saw something on the trail that made me slow down. It was a pile of fresh poop, and the underwear that was probably used to wipe his butt. We never said anything.

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 527
What is the weirdest thing you have found while riding?

I was on one of the Fuzzy Beaver rides and met a rider called Dr.Z !

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
I remember that one. I think I was the one that pointed out the pill bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00 View Post

I was on one of the Fuzzy Beaver rides and met a rider called Dr.Z !

The recon night mission to get Twisty's bike out of "the loop" was epic.

Two grown men two up on a TW200 makes for great stories.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,940
I have run up on about ever animal you can think of (except a big cat!). Still waiting for that one...

was riding some very tight single track and noticed a CAR way out in the middle of Blackwater. How did it get there and why?

Answer was apparent as we rode by and saw a naked ass moving up and down in the back seat...

Is that like finding an old saw mill?

About the strangest thing that ever happened was one winter during hunting season we rode past a bunch of hunters and they all smiled and waved. Very strange indeed......

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 938
We did actually run across a BIG CAT. I was on my DRZ400 and my wife on a KLX250 and we were riding down a dirt road in Blackwater. Then a large cat (panther) jumped out into the road in front of me from the left side from the trees and brush but once he hit the road and saw us he turned around and leaped back into the woods. He was about 300 feet ahead. I stopped real quick just past where he jumped out and got off my bike and looked into the woods but didn't see anything. We stayed there and found the tracks as my wife didn't see the cat but she found the tracks.
DB

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,251
Panther

Vic spoke of a big cat.

Middle 80's.
Brand new 1985 4valve XR200R.

Garner Landing Road (same road Turkey Trot was last year) about 1/4 mile south of I-10 overpass. Road graders had made run-offs to the left and right sides of road and went quite a ways into the woods.

Decided I'd see how fast I could veer off the dirt road into one of them and to my surprise at the end there was a BIG cat. As big as any lion from Africa walking away from me maybe 20 yards away and me trying to stop before hitting it.
Same instant, he began to slowly trot.
Me,,,I almost could not believe my eyes and let off brakes to process what I was seeing.
My eyes made a snapshot that I can still see 30 years later.

A big cat maybe 5+ feet long with tail almost as long.
Dark brown coat with a few black spots here and there.

All this happened in slow motion nano seconds and in that time, the big cat stopped and turned towards me.
Only time in my life made a turn that quick without crashing and scooted through the black jacks back to road and back to Inlaws house to tell what I saw and return with brother-in-laws to show them tracks.

Try as might, we couldn't find a single track because of leaves and grass.
Everybody believed me,,,or at least believed I saw something.

Back in the 30's, that very area was developed for headquarters for a big big circus(I think Barnum Bailey) but went bust or moved because of the depression or other reason.

Possibly a ancestor that escaped from that circus?
Conjecture, speculation,,who knows.

EDIT just found this link:
http://nwflibrary.blogs.nwfdailynews...idale-florida/

Madhouse screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 08:40 AM
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Weirdest thing I ever found out on a ride is that Johnny Africa wears T back underwear. My therapist charged me for a extra session the following week.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,440
Weirdest thing I ever came across was Floatie Dude, he's in a class all by hisself. Glad I have several witnesses and pics, or nobody would believe the story.

Close second in the weirdest category was a Feral Kid climbing the bluffs overlooking Juniper Creek in Blackwater State Forest. Feral Kid had one shoe and appeared to be in a chemically altered state. He told us he climbed the bluff but was unsure how he was gonna get back down. Unfortunately no pics of that encounter exist, to the best of my knowledge.

Most interesting thing? Prolly this M48 Patton tank (at least, I think that's what it is) parked just west of Hwy 87 on the Eglin Reservation:

Lotsa interesting stuff out at Eglin

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,251
Thanks Inept

A great sunday afternoon re-read.

From July 2009 ride from Hutton unit:
Starting about 1/2 way down the page and continuing on next page.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...oatie&page=168
Old 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
Found what appeared to be a burial plot. Each grave slightly sunken, marked with moss and lichen covered indigenous headstones centuries old by my estimation. Perhaps as many as 10 graves, two rows, five souls deep, crowded exceedingly close to one another. The upper row shortened towards the right as though adolescents resided in some. Trees had fallen over them and some of the headstones had long since begun to lean. This was about 150 yards behind and to the right of a heavily wooded impact area of a firing line near Quantico, that is never open to exploration or hiking, by all accounts had no historical markers, tags, or boundaries denoting awareness of its presence. Often think it would be proper to find out who governs such sites, and take them to it. It is my assumption that it has some affiliation with a Civil War era skirmish, typical of field expedient cemeteries from that era and locale.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Gimmee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
wierd shiite

I think I saw a tiger laying in road!
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote