User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Skufflewick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Big rear, tiny sides??

Hey all, let me first apologize to all as this is my first post, so im not too familiar with the etiquette expected, so I do appreciate the patience!

Just bought myself a 2008 Klr650, it was kind of a purchase ive been hmm and ha'ing about for years now and I finally decided to go for it, now if only I had a bike license and could ride the thing... also, dear snow, if you could kindly disappear thatd be awesome! Anyways...

Have been looking online at all the shiny's I wanna throw on this bike, some of which are bigger cases that I could put an auxiliary battery system into, as well as camping gear, clothes, a spare helmet or two, etc, I think what im looking at is pelican cases, high 15xx's or 16xx's for the sides, and a monster 1740 (I think that was what id picked) for the rear. I like the large size because there is a solar panel ive found I think will fit perfect, BUT looking through different posts and such ive found people generally do a set of medium sides and a smaller top. Am I missing something here or is it just "not cool" to have a big trunk?
Skufflewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
I have used Pelican cases. On the positives they are light weight, lockable, and sturdy. The negatives are that the side cases open up and want to dump everything out.

The top case when riding off road vibrates back and forth as well as raises your CG. Too much weight up there will either break off or make your bike unwieldy in the the dirt/ or slow speeds.

I think you could go big up tope if you kept it lightweight.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Man, that 1740 is huge! I would worry about stabilizing it at speed, in turbulence and anything rough off road --

http://www.pelicancases.com/case-quick-finder-s/121.htm
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Skufflewick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So after inspecting the stat sheet I think the 1730 (pelican) or the 3100 (storm) or anything higher would also suit my needs. The main issue im having is the 40w panel is 32x14" and I would LIKE to not hqve it hung over the edges of the other boxes. Im thinking maybe the 3100 would be a better answer as both are ~34 inches wide, but the storm is half the height at 6" (less wind resistance??) Looks like rotopax are being mounted elsewhere now lol

That however bring my second question, why does everyone put such small cases on the sides?? Like, you cant fit a helmet or anything, or am I underestimating these cases??
Skufflewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
The bigger the cases the more stuff you carry, the more stuff you carry the greater the weight, the greater the weight the worse the bike handles. This is especially true for the top box the further up and further back that weight is carried the worse it is. Almost every adventure trip I've been on I have taken less weight than the trip before i no longer use a top box preferring a waterproof roll across the passenger seat. I also now use 35 littre side cases instead of 45 litre side cases intentionally to limit how much stuff I can carry. When loading I always put the heavy stuff as low and as far forward as possible.
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skufflewick View Post
That however bring my second question, why does everyone put such small cases on the sides?? Like, you cant fit a helmet or anything, or am I underestimating these cases??
I wouldn't want a side case wide enough to fit a helmet. At that point, you're approaching the width of a small car! If you need to carry that much stuff with you, then maybe a motorcycle isn't your best option.

My wife and I rode from Texas to Chile and back with Givi E21 side cases on her bike Givi E36 cases on mine...and I often wished I had smaller ones.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Not sure why you want or need such a big solar panel or a solar panel at all.

What kind of madness are you planning?

I would think your bikes charging system makes enough electricity when running to charge up your gadgets while you ride.

Well anyway, welcome to ADV!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote