ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #61
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Honolulu
Oddometer: 1,341
I wonder what the stats are for Pennsylvannia ? When I got my MC endorsement in 1981 helmets were mandatory, and since that's been repealed, I've found. Strange - we've certainly gone the other way with seat-belts and such.

Here in Honolulu there is no requirement for anything more than eye protection so you often see visitors on rented bikes (unfamiliar bike, & navigation + scenic terrain = Danger Will Robinson) - always helmet-less, I've read some really sad stories in the news that you just know didn't have to be that way. Tragedies that may well have just been setbacks.

But the original point - that if one were REALLY interested in safe riding you'd wear a helmet and not advocate for Fag Exhaust Systems, is totally valid to any logical person.

Logic, however is not a strong suit of most that feel compelled to loudly proclaim their mastery of Internal Combustion to all, the Acoustic environment be damned, this is about MAH FREEDOM !

RedShark screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 05:42 PM
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #62
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: W. Canada
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Freedom means you may have to live (or die) with the consequences of your choices freedom has granted you.
Some people are to stupid to be given 'live or die' choices that freedom have allowed them.
JDK111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #63
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Most people who ride lidless will most likely die from something as mundane as heart disease or some form of cancer.

I put synthetic oil on my helmet. It slides better than way.

I just wish I could afford Amsoil.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #64
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
if one were REALLY interested in safe riding you'd wear a helmet and not advocate for "Look at Me" Exhaust Systems, a totally valid argument for any logical person
With an edit to the non derogatory, this has the potential to be a tag line of the highest order
__________________
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #65
dsy
Adventurer
 
dsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Toledo Ohio
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Our group has lobbied the city (NYC) and state (NY) on behalf of motocyclists.
You say you lobbied on behalf of motorcyclist, but your trying to impose your view of what you think is best for everyone else since your way is the way it should be, since people are too stupid to make their own decsions. If you were truly lobbying on behalf of anyone you would be arguing for freedom of choice.
Screw your nanny state beliefs.
I ride in a helmet optional state and always wear one, but its my choice.

If you really want to be popular and save the world, start lobbying to bring back prohibition since alcohol causes far more fatalitlies and long term health problems.
__________________
2012 1200GSA
2007 JK Wrangler with diy hemi install

dsy screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:33 PM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #66
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Some people are to stupid to be given 'live or die' choices that freedom have allowed them.
And some people are too stupid to master their native language.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #67
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
You say your lobbied on behalf of motorcyclist, but your trying to impose your view of what you think is best for everyone else since your way is the way it should be and people are too stupid to make their own decsions. If you were truly lobbying on behalf of anyone you would be arguing for freedom of choice.
Screw your nanny state beliefs.
I ride in a helmet optional state and always wear one, but its my choice.

If you really want to be popular and save the world, start lobbying to bring back prohibition since alcohol causes far more fatalitlies and long term health problems.

Say whatever you want, but here are the facts: Helmets save lives. Helmet laws encourage people to wear helmets.

All you have is protection of a very tiny "freedom", for which you are willing to trade actual lives of riders. (Riders, whom you are happy to dismiss as "stupid.")

Those are the facts. Everything else is just hyperventilation.
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #68
dsy
Adventurer
 
dsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Toledo Ohio
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
(Riders, whom you are happy to dismiss as "stupid.")
All you have is protection of a very tiny "freedom",
Those are the facts. Everything else is just hyperventilation.
It seems you are the one inferring everyone else is stupid because they do not know how to take care of themselves without the nanny dictating their behavior.
I dont think anyone would argue that helmets save lives. But there are many things that save lives that people could choose to do or not do. So what. Who are you, or the state to make that
choice for me.
Love the way you refer to Freedom as tiny. Kind of says it all.
__________________
2012 1200GSA
2007 JK Wrangler with diy hemi install

dsy screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:52 PM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #69
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Say whatever you want, but here are the facts: Helmets save lives. Helmet laws encourage people to wear helmets.

All you have is protection of a very tiny "freedom", for which you are willing to trade actual lives of riders. (Riders, whom you are happy to dismiss as "stupid.")

Those are the facts. Everything else is just hyperventilation.
Here's a FACT for you: Lots of people wearing FF helmets DIE every year. If you think wearing a helmet is some kind of panacea against a fatality while riding then you're dumber than people who don't wear one.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #70
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Say whatever you want, but here are the facts: Helmets save lives. Helmet laws encourage people to wear helmets.
So encourage people to wear them and let the ones who don't want to wear them have the freedom to choose for themselves.

I personally never ride without one (even when it is legal to do so) but I do not feel the need to impose my beliefs on others. I am not afraid to speak with people and tell them why I personally think it is a good idea to wear one but it is up to them to heed my advice or reject it.

That is what adults do.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #71
Warin
Retired
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1,962
Darwin at work.

--------------
Question. When does Darwin get to work on threads? Or posts? Must be too new age for him?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #72
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Why should I pay more for insurance because of some fools lack of common sense?



AFAIC, It's more about the high(er) cost of insurance premiums that everyone else has to pay because of these folks "freedom of choice" to become layed up in a hospital for a few weeks, incapacitated for months and or a vegetable for the rest of their life.
$20,000 policy? A freakin drop in the bucket for a serious accident with head injuries.
my insuance went down 30 bucks this year. 161.00 for full coverage with state farm. mn. is a helmet choice state. care to explain? also statistically speaking i am more likely to drown in mn. than be killed in a motorcycle wreck.
i doubt that there is a way to prove it, but i bet it's cheaper for the the unhelmeted rider. hit your head you die.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #73
cybrdyke
In the Dark
 
cybrdyke's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: way back up in the woods among the evergreens
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

For the last three+ years I've been involved in motorcycle advocacy in NY. (NYMSTF.org ) Our group has lobbied the city (NYC) and state (NY) on behalf of motocyclists. I've met with the community boards in NYC to promote motorcycle issues so many times that eventually I was asked to become a member of their board.
Sure wish I had a vote in who was advocating for me. I'd vote you off the board. You're too willing to give up my freedoms. You're arrogant, egotistic, and high & mighty. Glad you're not in my state.

CD
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #74
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
Sure wish I had a vote in who was advocating for me. I'd vote you off the board. You're too willing to give up my freedoms. You're arrogant, egotistic, and high & mighty. Glad you're not in my state.

CD
+1 wiseblood and his ilke scare the hell out of me. what is wrong with personal responsabilty and the freedoms and risks that come with that?that use to be what made America different from the rest of the world.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #75
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Steamboat Springs, COLORADO
Oddometer: 967
Duc

My new bumpersticker: DUCATI ...... Loud Clutches Save Lives!
__________________
Formerly known as: Routt County Rob
ROAD DAMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014