Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
So what does everyone think? Close enough to center to do a proper plug/patch from the inside?
I had one just like that at the Soo Locks Michigan , wormed it and rode home to Vancouver via LA, CA

Rode it another 3k when i got home.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
the only acceptable repair is a one piece plug/patch. repaired from the inside with the tire off the rim. 999 times out of a 1000 a plug may be fine. when they do fail it's liable to be a catastrophic blowout. do it right. a plug is an ok repair to get you home ,then do it right.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
What stu said, a plug patch. Especially since you asked in the first place.

I just use the red tire plugs with rubber cement for lube.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
plug

Plug it.

Ride it.

Have you ever looked at what a string plug looks like inside the tire after you remove it? If done well, with liberal amounts of cement, they bubble up and are the size of a strawberry or so inside the tire. No way that centrifugal force would ever sling one out.

Good ream job and lots of cement!

I've run several tens of thousands of miles on plugged tires and never had a problem, with one exception.

The only plug that ever failed for me, was a mushroom type plug, and it was installed by a guy that sells the kits.

Took it out after 500 miles and replaced it with a string type and then rode the tire until it was completely wasted.

I'd also like to add that I have more faith in these repairs ............. because I have tire pressure monitoring. I'm a big redneck and I've made fun of TPM for years, until it saved my bacon on several occasions. It let's you closely monitor tire pressures and gives you a " heads up" for anything other than a catastrophic tire failure.

Plug it.

Ride it.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #20
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
Plug it. I have been plugging tires since I was five or six.

My dad used have me rotate the wheels on his cars diagonally every 14 days and if I found a nail I was to pull and plug. Never had an issue.

On the one bike I have tubeless tires on I tend to use between 2 and 8 plugs over a rear tires life, no problems.

I would replace a front, however.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Jim, thanks for the link on tire plugging, good video. Never seen it done, heard of it done, or knew one could do so... Probably because all my bikes, so far, have had tubes in them !
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #22
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Only 500 motherlovin miles on this motherlovin tire that I had no choice but to get ass raped at an HD dealer for $320 installed.

So what does everyone think? Close enough to center to do a proper plug/patch from the inside?
Do you have to pay somebody to plug/patch it, or do you have the tools to do your own? If you have to pay somebody to do it, I'd just get a new tire. Tires are often cheaper than labor.

I'd do your own, and use online vendors when local vendors want to charge $320 for a tire. Then I'd change the tire in the street, right in front of the vendor that quoted me $320 for 1 freaking tire.

Is their tire made of recycled condoms from Wilt Chamberlain's hotel rooms, and installed by tire technicians anointed by the pope himself?
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 971
I've plugged 4 holes with the sticky worms, some including glue, all 4 leaked about 1PSI overnight.
I don't believe plugs are a safety issue but if I were a dealer I'd talk just like they do and refuse to plug anything.

My new philosophy is:
Plug it,
Ride it,
Patch on the inside when I have the inclination to take the tire off.
I rode almost all season last year with 2 plugs. The leak was no big deal because I check air every ride day.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Do you have to pay somebody to plug/patch it, or do you have the tools to do your own? If you have to pay somebody to do it, I'd just get a new tire. Tires are often cheaper than labor.

I'd do your own, and use online vendors when local vendors want to charge $320 for a tire. Then I'd change the tire in the street, right in front of the vendor that quoted me $320 for 1 freaking tire.

Is their tire made of recycled condoms from Wilt Chamberlain's hotel rooms, and installed by tire technicians anointed by the pope himself?
I always buy online and mount my own.......this was an emergency situation 1200 miles away from home. $250 for tire and $70 to mount and balance.... Even showed them I could get the same tire for $120 on line.............not so much as a blip on the dealers give-a-shit-o-meter.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Plug it.

Less than 500 km on the odo, my rear tire picked up a nail. I plugged it. 3000 km later, picked up another nail.
It was close to the first one, about 5 cm from the first one and close to the side of the tire. I plugged it ... but about a week later when I was lubing my chain I noticed there's a bulge. So I bought a new tire and replaced it. I had plugged tires before, but this was the first time it bulged, I guess it's because the nail didn't go in perpendicular to the tire, it went in at an angle.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,253
Gummy worm plug ought to be way more than enough for that little thing. As for being near the center of the tire, that makes no difference. The plug will work anywhere in the tread including all the way out to the edges where the tread meets the side wall. Gummy worms usually are not slung out of tires. Rather the wet cement lets them squirm into the tire. This usually happens because the worm was cut off flush with the tire. Cut the worn off about an 1/8th inch above the tread. Thus, some of the worm is left to mushroom over and prevent squirm from allowing the worm to retract into the tire. Some people put the worms in dry, smaller punctures for this reason. I use cement as a lube for intallation and as an adhesive seal when it cures. A worm installed this way can be ridden on right away without having to wait for the cement to cure.

Aside: There is a long standing argument that plugs in a sidewall are an absolute NEVER. I have plugged sidewalls to retrieve myself from remote and considerably more hazzardous problems. Once the initial crisis is over, I won't ride on such a plugged tire. One does what one has to at times.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,177
I have done track days on a plugged/patch Dunlop Q-2 on the back of a ZX-14. I think you would have been fine.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Every damn time I put a new rear on my Uly, it seems, I pick up a nail or something. Goopy ropes'll do ya. I was running a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails off piste and picked up a rock....plugged it with goopy ropes and went another 4K miles. Your Uly has a a power outlet, and I assume you have some sort of storage. Get the goopy ropes get a 12V pump, and yer good to go.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #29
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Thanks Jim

First I cleaned it:

Then I pulled it:

Nice one huh?

Then I reemed it! And just so everyone knows I was thinking about Jimmy V the entire time I was reeming.....

Then I plugged it with extra copious amounts of rubber cement.

Hit it with a little heat from the heat gun since still have the front end torn apart so no ride yet. Waited about 45 minutes while I fixed some of the wiring that was done previously and my OCD would not allow it to stay like that, and aired her up. Sprayed some soap and no bubbles. Gonna check it again later on today. And yes I did cut the pig tails off.........

Thanks for everyone input.

Ken

hooliken screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 08:28 AM
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #30
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I'm going to add one more thing. all of you who give testimonials of how long you rode on a plug or how it never leaked. you are all wrong. as i said before."a plug is an emergency repair" unless the tire is dismounted it cannot be properly inspected for damage that is not apparent from the outside.leaking air is not the problem, a zipper type blowout is. be safe, dismount the tire and fix it right.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote