ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
car94
What's this Box for?
 
car94's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Missouri
Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Thanks Jim

First I cleaned it:



Then I pulled it:



Nice one huh?

Then I reemed it! And just so everyone knows I was thinking about Jimmy V the entire time I was reeming.....



Then I plugged it with extra copious amounts of rubber cement.



Hit it with a little heat from the heat gun since still have the front end torn apart so no ride yet. Waited about 45 minutes while I fixed some of the wiring that was done previously and my OCD would not allow it to stay like that, and aired her up. Sprayed some soap and no bubbles. Gonna check it again later on today. And yes I did cut the pig tails off.........

Thanks for everyone input.

Ken
Okay I think everyone who said it was safe to plug meant one of these>>>

I may use the one you have there as a way to slowly get from the gas station to to a real tire repair shop.
__________________
Ride Your Own Ride
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
I'm going to add one more thing. all of you who give testimonials of how long you rode on a plug or how it never leaked. you are all wrong. as i said before."a plug is an emergency repair" unless the tire is dismounted it cannot be properly inspected for damage that is not apparent from the outside.leaking air is not the problem, a zipper type blowout is. be safe, dismount the tire and fix it right.
And we believe you are wrong, so we are even!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Okay I think everyone who said it was safe to plug meant one of these>>>

I may use the one you have there as a way to slowly get from the gas station to to a real tire repair shop.

Nope, string plugs are just fine, IMHO!

I've run as many as 9,000 miles on a plugged tires, plugged dozens, and only had one fail where, in an emergency, I had to put two plugs side-by-side. By fail I mean is slow leaked down over night.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,761
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
I'm going to add one more thing. all of you who give testimonials of how long you rode on a plug or how it never leaked. you are all wrong. as i said before."a plug is an emergency repair" unless the tire is dismounted it cannot be properly inspected for damage that is not apparent from the outside.leaking air is not the problem, a zipper type blowout is. be safe, dismount the tire and fix it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
And we believe you are wrong, so we are even!

Jim
I am with Jim on this one.

Besides nail pulled straight out and was not bent so I am thinking not much, if any interior damage.

Would love to drop rim off at stearlership within 100 miles and have an interior patch put on. But most, if not all, will not do it because they scream "liability" but what I hear is.....hey buy this tire that we have marked up 70% over what you would pay from AMT/Rocky Mountain...etc.

or


Take tire off and take it to tire repair shop........I have changed 100's of dirtbike tires......do all my changes on the KTM.......but am not in the mood for the cussing and drinking that will ensue after taking a low sidewall sport touring tire off of a 17" rim.....No...just no.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
2007 950R Super Enduro
2005 450EXC
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #35
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41
 
MotorradMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mallorytown Ontario
Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
I'm going to add one more thing. all of you who give testimonials of how long you rode on a plug or how it never leaked. you are all wrong.
I don't believe any of us were giving "testimonials".
What we were doing was relating actual experiences.
If any of those were wrong, the posters were lying.

I have way more faith in these guys than you do.
__________________
Mike
So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer
 
Dan-M's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westbound
Oddometer: 853
I have had more than one near new and some not so new tires get punctured. I've plugged every one of them and rode the life of the tire without incident.

And, in the unlikely event that a plug fails it is not going to be a "catastrophic blow out". It is simply going to leak just like it did when the original puncture happened.
Do you really think an internal patch plug is going to reinforce the tire? The only difference is more internal surface area to seal. If a rope plug is a tight fit it will be just fine.
__________________
---
Dan-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 401
as i said.999 times out of 1000 a plug may be fine. it is not an acceptable permanent repair. if you want to repair a tire like that on your own bike that's fine. to each his own. but that doesn't make it a good practice or one that should be recommended to others. it is not safe in a car tire,why on earth would anyone think it's o.k. for a motorcycle. a plug patch is an approved repair for nearly all brands of tires(on the tread face) a plug is not approved by any manufacturer.I usually don't wear a helmet i would never recommend not wearing a helmet to someone else,nor would i tell someone i haven't needed one so it must be o.k.
long as I'm ticking people off I'll just add i would never run a darkside either.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #38
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
as i said.999 times out of 1000 a plug may be fine. it is not an acceptable permanent repair. if you want to repair a tire like that on your own bike that's fine. to each his own. but that doesn't make it a good practice or one that should be recommended to others. it is not safe in a car tire,why on earth would anyone think it's o.k. for a motorcycle. a plug patch is an approved repair for nearly all brands of tires(on the tread face) a plug is not approved by any manufacturer.I usually don't wear a helmet i would never recommend not wearing a helmet to someone else,nor would i tell someone i haven't needed one so it must be o.k.
long as I'm ticking people off I'll just add i would never run a darkside either.

Stu, all that is IN YOUR OPINION! Many have a differing opinion. When someone states their opinion as if there is no other valid opinion, they lose credibility.

MANY of us have the opinion, backed by years of experience, that string plugs are a perfectly safe permanent fix.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
billy1000cc
n00b
 
billy1000cc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Atl
Oddometer: 4
Plug it.

Double plug it if you have to.
billy1000cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #40
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 3,009
A funny thing happened today

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...re-photo-essay
__________________
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Stu, all that is IN YOUR OPINION! Many have a differing opinion. When someone states their opinion as if there is no other valid opinion, they lose credibility.

MANY of us have the opinion, backed by years of experience, that string plugs are a perfectly safe permanent fix.

Jim
find me one tire maker or tire engineer that will approve of a plug. i'll save you the time. there is none.
nearly all (but not all) tire makers approve of a plug/patch as the only approved repair.
that is not my opinion, that is fact.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
find me one tire maker or tire engineer that will approve of a plug. i'll save you the time. there is none.
nearly all (but not all) tire makers approve of a plug/patch as the only approved repair.
that is not my opinion, that is fact.
Why would they? It would cut into their sales, and they are scared of law suits, valid or not. Your arguement holds no water!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #43
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Why would they? It would cut into their sales, and they are scared of law suits, valid or not. Your arguement holds no water!

Jim
you don't comprehene well do you? most tiremaker approve of a plug/patch for a repair, the tire must be dismounted. how does that cut into sales?
btw the o.p. asked "experts weigh in" I have extensive training in the tire biz.
do you?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #44
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
you don't comprehene well do you? most tiremaker approve of a plug/patch for a repair, the tire must be dismounted. how does that cut into sales?
btw the o.p. asked "experts weigh in" I have extensive training in the tire biz.
do you?
We will have to agree to disagree!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #45
t-bills
mcs are dangerous
 
t-bills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
I'm going to add one more thing. all of you who give testimonials of how long you rode on a plug or how it never leaked. you are all wrong.
I didn't? I could have sworn I rode on that tire with two plugs. I guess farmerstu knows best.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014