User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Carlo Muro OP
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,021
Cry The GF failed the MSF basic course

She came home in tears. This was my idea. She's logged thousands of miles behind me but has never thrown a leg over the driver's seat - of any motorcycle. She drives a manual transmission so she understands the concept of clutch, gearshift, etc.

Since they are calling for a possible snowstorm later this weekend they had condensed the course into four hours on Friday evening and 12 hours on Saturday. She said she felt rushed and couldn't get the riding exercises down before they would move on to the next one.

She was the only woman in the class.

Did I push too hard? Is this not the place to learn to ride? I don't know because I never took it (shame on me). I got some basic proficiency in a farm field and then took rode through the cones at the DMV.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 124
From what I remember, it was pretty rushed for me... I was sick and was having a pretty hard time keeping up with what the instructor was doing... of course my sour attitude because I had been racing motocross for several years already, and the 110* heat probably didn't help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the instructor wasn't the nicest guy in the world either.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Jagg Oil Cooler, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Sounds as though they rushed the course too much, no fault of yours. A 12 hour day is a bit rough on a beginner, rough on anybody. Did any of the others fail as well?
Tell her to try again later in the season when snow isn't likely to be an issue. Any place around where she could try on her own? Any of your buddies have a small bike for her to play with in a field, with you on the sidelines reading a book but ready when called?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
They rushed the course.

Also, my gf failed the class the first time, came home in tears...and passed it the second time. We took a couple of classes together afterwards, as MSF isn't always the best option for women who want to ride (no flexibility in curriculum, time is always rushed, no help available for the less confident). Rich Oliver was particularly good with her at his Offroad Challenge class, and the Alameda County Sheriff's civilian class was tough on her, but great and very responsive to every rider's needs. Now we go on rallies and dualsport rides together.

Heck, one of the more talented riders I know failed the MSF class the first time. Maybe it's a sign that riding isn't for her, or maybe it's simply a sign that a broader education and practice time is needed to build skill and confidence.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 671
Bluhduh Silly Buggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
She came home in tears. This was my idea. She's logged thousands of miles behind me but has never thrown a leg over the driver's seat - of any motorcycle. She drives a manual transmission so she understands the concept of clutch, gearshift, etc.

Since they are calling for a possible snowstorm later this weekend they had condensed the course into four hours on Friday evening and 12 hours on Saturday. She said she felt rushed and couldn't get the riding exercises down before they would move on to the next one.

Did I push too hard? Is this not the place to learn to ride? I don't know because I never took it (shame on me). I got some basic proficiency in a farm field and then took rode through the cones at the DMV.

Aw shit.

That sucks, especially 'cause it sounds like she has the exposure, instincts and skills to make the leap.

I guess you just have to be supportive...I dunno, get some Champagne or take her out for dinner.

Both?

Contact MSF for a re-do, as they rushed her course?

Sell it as goodwill/good publicity?

BTW, I failed my road test for "going too slow on the on ramp".

Actually shocked me how close I came to punching the examiner in the face.

Had ridden for years, I was on my third bike, and was trying to hide my inner hooligan.

(Hey Carlo, don't tell any of the other inmates about my "shame", ok?).

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
So what happens now?

Does she get e retest or is it a $250 loss?

I skipped that bs and just got my license at the DMV, cost $31 and took only a few minutes.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Powers77
2009 GSA

Oddometer: 156
I have taught in 3 different states. Retakes were always free.
Secondly IMHO they should not have rushed the class the way they did. Reschedule the final day if needed but don't extend the days. Makes for too long of a day for new riders. Frankly I bet MSF would not be happy with the practice.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
Yeah, I'd be surprised if they didn't let her retest gratis.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
With all the nicety things being said I'll play devils advocate. This failure may be what later saves her life. She'll put more into the next course and test, thusly she'll be more attentive than others while riding, thusly...... she'll be a better motorcyclist
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
With all the nicety things being said I'll play devils advocate. This failure may be what later saves her life. She'll put more into the next course and test, thusly she'll be more attentive than others while riding, thusly...... she'll be a better motorcyclist
I was actually thinking the same thing... if 100% everyone passes all the time the course is too easy. Make the course a bit though, make them earn their stripes, makes them better motorcyclists in the end, maybe actually save a life or two. Anyone who's been in the army knows what I'm talking about.

Tell her to get back on it and nail that course just like the instructor wants her to, it's the best way to do it.

Edit: But I do believe she should get it for free next time. As an instructor you don't have to pass everyone, I don't even think you should. But if someone doesn't pass it's your fault as an instructor and so you've got to make it right...

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 04:22 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
That sucks. I would think that the course would be based on a number of hours of riding not just skipping through it. As a paying customer I'd want quality training in return for my $. I'd hope they would give her another go at the course for free and I'd make a point of being on hand to sort out any controlling dick wad that wanted to power trip on my wife.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

A lot of people don't pass the first time. A lot of people don't even pass the 2nd time. Public roads are not the place to learn how to operate a moto though. A huge open area, with a trained instructor staff on hand, is MUCH better. If it's free like in IL, tell her to go have fun with it. If she doesn't pass, she can take it again. If it's crazy expensive like in FL, find an open dirt area and let her practice the drills in the handbook, and riding some empty trails slowly, before attending again.

After she passes the course, I'd also let her rip around in some open dirt and practice the drills covered in the BRC, before turning her loose on populated trails and the road.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRoadDog View Post
From what I remember, it was pretty rushed for me... I was sick and was having a pretty hard time keeping up with what the instructor was doing... of course my sour attitude because I had been racing motocross for several years already, and the 110* heat probably didn't help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the instructor wasn't the nicest guy in the world either
Yep, my instructor was an ass as well. Anyway, encourage her to try again. My GF had to try 3 times to get her driving license..
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
My BRC instructors were a riot. My noob GF actually scored better than me on the final practical, and I'd been licensed and riding for several years. She didn't even know how to drive stick. We both aced most of the exercises, then I mosied on through the sweeper curve and she powered through. When we got home, she hung our scoresheets on the fridge...hers tagged "Flash", and mine tagged "Molasses".

I didn't know we were graded on time for that curve.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
A 12 hour day for a newbi in an MSF Beginners course is way to rushed. Get her to take it again. She should do fine. I would never try and teach a bunch of beginners in a 12 hour day..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote