User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 631
04/15/11 Kokopelli Trail - Fruita to Moab and back

Hi - I will be riding from Fruita to Moab and back.
04/15/11 Hit the Kokopelli trail at Loma 8am ride to Moab 145ml - camp
04/16/11 Cruise around Moab and do some trails - camp
04/17/11 Kokopelli back to Loma 145ml

This is an informal ride with no support so if you would like to join up let me know. I ride at a moderate speed and safety first. I ride a XR650R with a 6 Sahara tank, so if you need gas I can always spare a gal or two if the ride is close to the top of your fuel range. Also I ride minimalist and plan on camping, most likely at a spot with showers at least.

Here is a link to what I am going to ride. It looks epic.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=882392
It will be a haul in one day across some desert with no water so no beater or 50cc bikes.
I am coming up from Larkspur, Co close to Denver on 04/14/11 so we can maybe figure something out if you are from that area.

LarkBRP
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBRP View Post
Hi - I will be riding from Fruita to Moab and back.
04/15/11 Hit the Kokopelli trail at Loma 8am ride to Moab 145ml - camp
04/16/11 Cruise around Moab and do some trails - camp
04/17/11 Kokopelli back to Loma 145ml

This is an informal ride with no support so if you would like to join up let me know. I ride at a moderate speed and safety first. I ride a XR650R with a 6 Sahara tank, so if you need gas I can always spare a gal or two if the ride is close to the top of your fuel range. Also I ride minimalist and plan on camping, most likely at a spot with showers at least.

Here is a link to what I am going to ride. It looks epic.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=882392
It will be a haul in one day across some desert with no water so no beater or 50cc bikes.
I am coming up from Larkspur, Co close to Denver on 04/14/11 so we can maybe figure something out if you are from that area.

LarkBRP
I've been wanting to do that trail for quite awhile, i'll see what I can do with my work schedule..
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Took about 45 min from Grand Junction on HWY 6 via Fruita, Loma and then Mack. The Kokopelli starts on HWY 6 at Rabbit Valley.

From there it was a well maintained OHV road all the way over to I-70 and then underneath to the trail. Every mile or so there are Kokopelli trail markers, some are damaged but most are easy to find.

About 10 miles or so you run into Castle Rocks which is a beautiful area.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 11:57 AM
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

The trail continued throught some fun areas and worked its way up to the top of this mesa and then down to Westwater at the Colorado river. Mixed riding, anything from wide open packed dirt, sand and rough rocks. Close to Mc Graw bottom is a very rocky almost impassible piece of oh $hit trail next to the Colorado River.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 11:58 AM
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

I was amazed at how many times the trail criss crossed the paved road and sometimes hard to notice the trail markers. At this point the trail started to pickup more of the red sandstone in it and just before you hit Dewey Bridge there is some of the most beautiful rock formations I have seen (here in the distance) and riding was wide open on sand road passing close to the formations. It was noon and starting to get hot outside.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 11:59 AM
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

I reached Dewey Bridge and stopped for a quick snack. I finally started seeing other people on the trail at Dewey bridge, except that would be it for another two hours.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

It was pretty much a jeep road from Dewey Bridge and a nasty one at that with those larger rocks and loose gravel that just does not work well with a bike.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

The trail continued through a really technical hill (which I thought was Rose Garden) that nearly kicked my arse. Then I made it to the real Rose Garden that was torn to hell with large boulders all over. This pic might look like a plain old dirt road but coming down it was like dropping down a dry waterfall. My bike almost overheated here (dont have a radiator fan) halfway down. I just picked a line straight down (to the right) and just had to backup once to reposition myself. If I had to do it again I would wipe out just from pure fear knowing what is to come.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 12:00 PM
Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

At Fisher Valley I lost track of the Kokopelli trail and ended up at a ranch. The farmer told me to go back and take rd 100 back to Moab. Turns out I should have went back up north to continue on the Kokopelli but there was such a confluence of trails I did not want to take a chance at this time of the day. I rode down Onion Creek back to Moab around 20 - 30 miles away. My body was pretty beat so it was a good time to quit. I will go back someday and ride the remaining part.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 12:38 PM
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

This was taken where the Onion Valley rd intersects with 128. Believe it was Castle Valley in the back.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

I rode the Slick Rock trail which was unbelievable. Never had more fun on my 650. The level of traction on the sandstone is fantastic. 12 miles of bliss!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

For the last day I rode out on Kane Creek rd to Chicken Corner through some awesome red rock canyons. Note to self: Go camp here!

Heading back I was pretty beat. My initial objective was to ride to Dewey or Mc Graw and then enjoy some trail back to Grand Junction. My GPS quit working (not a Magellan etc. but my Android X with Gaia Maps) so I slabbed it back up to Cisco and then picked up a dirt road that ran close to the railroad all the way to Westwater (wide open standing ride!!!!), then slab on 192 to 193 over I-70 and back to Grand Junction. 193 Turns into HWY 6 which goes past the Kokopelli Trialhead / Rabbit Valley. Going this way only took me 3 1/2 hrs from Moab to Grand Junction. My GPS mysteriously started working again in GJ.

My new Michelin T63 rear did great and provided an excellent ride with little hum on slab and plenty grip on dirt and everything else Moab could throw at me. My Sahara tank made me relax about running out of fuel even if I got lost. I also just uncorked my bike to a 68slow, b53 needle, 165 main jet and new carb insulator, drilled etc. It make a huge difference and found 2K more rpm. My bike used to get hot really fast and now it does fine, except if you are stuck idling on Rose Garden. Fuel economy is down from between 60 -100mph to around 35mph+ (hard riding), figure I could get 50mpg easy riding.

BTW I just used free BLM UT trail maps.

Great trip, will do it again.
Attached Images

aiMhi screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 12:41 PM
Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Sounds great, some day I MUST do the Kokopelli!
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
TheMightyQuinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
That's one of my favorite rides. I like to take a couple of different trails back from Moab though. One is called the Paradox trail which goes toward Montrose and the other is called the Tabeguache trail which goes from the Montrose area back to Grand Junction. Those three make up the trail system called The Grand Loop. I like to take a day for each trail. I'm planning to do the Grand Loop sometime in June this year.
TheMightyQuinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Kind of funny, Modette and I did Kane creek and Chicken corner then went south out to the paved Rd on Sat.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote