Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Its pretty cheap to have extras sitting here waiting to be used,ins is cheap per year. The expensive part is buying one all over again and then setting it up. That got old so I just keep em.
1 Big sport touring bike.
1 excellent singletrack only bike.
1 DR650 because you gotta have a backup bike,it will do dam near anything.
1 badass dualsport/dirt bike that should really be kept off the pavement.
Then there's the Greeve's and Montesa,cant pass bikes like that up when they show up at great prices,just neat to have.
I really like how well rounded your bike selection is. It mirrors mine. Getting a bike set-up (seat, luggage, suspension etc) is time consuming and expensive but well worth the effort. Out of all the bikes in my garage the one that is never being sold is my Buell S3. After spending half what the bike cost on front fork, shock, seat and luggage upgrades - it is twice as good a bike.
The bikes styling, character and pseudo-Italian flavor really floats my boat and part of the justification for having more than one road bike, is that I want to reduce the wear and tear on the S3 - which is at 25,000 miles now.

My "Big Sport Touring Bike" the 2011 Ninja 1000, has turned out to be sort of a swiss-army knife do all commuter, day ride, long distance machine. It fits far more roles then I could have imagined. Not only that it requires so little from me yet returns so much! You can go 7000 miles on an oil change and it never needed a drop! You can't ride a KLR or BUELL with out carrying oil with you.
I generally keep my bikes for a very long time - so until I retire in 12 years - the Ninja is going to see a lot of miles. The resurrection of my brother's 80's Ninja - lead to me getting the N1K.

Then there is this bike (its not a ULY) - which is pretty awesome - but it hard to know where it fits into the grand scheme of bikes for different purposes.
Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 04:08 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
"One bike to do everything" usually results in a bike that sucks at almost everything and might be OK at one thing.
One bike to be awesome at something gives up on the rest of the spectrum.
The whole point of my bike is to get back to the one bike to do everything like we used to do in the '70's. I've had up to 10 bikes at one time, all going, and still have a shed full - I have a trials bike for real off road work. My bike sucks at nothing - I used my XT600 as my baseline for gravel road riding, and wasn't going to get rid of it until I was as happy in gravel with the R65 as with the XT600.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,726
It's a sickness and that's no lie! One, two, ... suddenly there are seven or eight motorcycles in the garage. Half of them are projects and I only wish I had time to work on them as they deserve. It's a bit frustrating really - but I can't quite bring myself to thin the herd.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
I don't know how true the "More bikes more maintenance" thing is.

Making some numbers up:
A tire and Oil change lasts 1,000 miles, and you ride 250 miles a weekend every weekend.
With one bike, you're doing a tire and oil every month, and four tires and oil changes after four months.
With four bikes, you're still doing four tires and oil changes after four months, but they might not be evenly split up from one month to the next.

Same goes for chains, air filters, valves and whatever else.
Registration, insurance and buying it are real costs, but if you're riding Bike A, then Bike B, C and D are not wearing out.
That's true, but you have to insure them (in this state) and store them. For some bikes and some owners, clean them (hard to justify a dirty bike if you only ride it on nice sundays). Have enough of them, and you'll be need battery tenders. More, and you'll want fuel stabilizer.

Nothing wrong with all that if you're into it, but for some of us, curating a collection isn't fun.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #35
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

The maintenance issue has been reduced a bit by having two Buells. Mainly because there are no valve adjustments and no chain maintenance to be done.
Of course, there is the occasional Buell wierd-bike oddball issue that can offset the lack of maintenance. So far, in 25,000 miles the S3 required a rear shock, throttle cable, engine temperature sensor and throttle position sensor. Fortunately I was able to read the error codes off the ECM and replace the sensors cheaply and easily.

The Buell Super TT is completely stock - and I like it that way. It has 12,000 miles and no issues to date (knock on wood) - where is the emoticon for knock on wood? But, I deliberately sought out a 2008 model because of the modifications to the fuel injection, larger crank pin and oil pump.
In an effort to minimize tire costs, I am moving towards all my road bikes running Dunlop RoadSmart II tires, at 7200 miles on the rear of my Ninja 1000 - its the best tire so far!
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Wait, what? You DO have the bike barn? Is the problem of the financial variety?
Yeah, one of these in the driveway alongside the duplex: http://www.thebikebarn.net/, but I park my Spyder in it. The Ninja is under a regular ol' cover chained to my fence, and it's not going to take too many winters parked like that.

I'm hoping to build a big shed in the backyard that can hold both bikes (and the GF's garden crap too, I guess), but it'll never be as big (or as nice) as a real garage.

Maybe it's time to move.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Last weekend a cold front blew in it was windy and a high of 45! I love to get as many cold weather rides in as possible, because its gonna be hot in Texas soon. My Aerostich Roadcrafter coupled with a Tourmaster electric jacket liner were perfect for the 200 mile day. The BUELL TT was in good form - the air-cooled motor loves cool weather.

At the end of the ride within about 50 miles of home.
Hello CHECK ENGINE light! Is this the start of a BUELL NIGHTMARE?
Now the bike feels like its running on one cylinder, and it wont idle when I arrive at the house. I have been contemplating selling the bike - crap, this seals the deal, got to get rid of it.
In a state of Post Buell Crappy Running Disorder (PBCR) I run to the Guzzi dealer. Hey, look - how about this instead!

Ok, so rather than succumb to PBCR - I hooked up the vehicle diagnostic software to the BUELL TT and read an ERROR CODE 15 Air Intake Temperature Sensor is on the blink. After checking for bad or frayed wires coming from the sensor to the ECM - I decide to order the $13 sensor. OK, maybe I will keep the TT maybe not. Once I start troubleshooting a bike I become even more attached to it.
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,262
I think two may be my limit, unless I were to become rich and be a collector or something.

I have two cheap bikes, the combined value of which are equal to one fancy bike. One is very low maintenance. The other is higher maintenance, but very cheap and easy on parts, etc. Also, the two are different enough from each other to keep things interesting.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
I used a K75 for years as a daily rider and bought a KLR to go where it could not. A great deal on a GSA happened and then a scooter. A classic RD and a couple of spare K75s were super cheap. Just picked up an R65 for next to nothing.
They are a curse and a blessing. Between them they cover all the bases but there is not a parts counter in this town that does not know my voice on the phone. If i am not riding i am wrenching. It keeps the hands and mind occupied but since i joined ADV Rider the flea market has pretty much become my homepage.
So many deals....so little money.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #40
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,495
One GS650, one Dakar, and two XR250Rs. All four need oil & filters changed, at least two need air filters, the Dakar needs a fork seal and Mrs1911fan's GS650 needs me to install lowering links I took off the Dakar. One XR won't start this spring, the other needs brake lever and clutch cable replaced, and I think I should adjust the valves on both of them. Maybe even on the BMWs too.... and all eight tires are low on air.

Sheesh. We'll wind up riding bikes that need maintenance; Mrs1911fan has kept me too busy this weekend to ride, let alone wrench.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,059
Having only one bike would be neat in some ways,the DR650 is still the closest bike Ive tried to doing it all.
Its done 600+ mile days on pavement,been on some ugly trails,done multi day camping trips on gravel roads,then I put the 19/17" fat street wheels on it and take it to the coast and it flat rips on tight paved backroads.
And can still cruise gravel that way.

Basic simple maintenance is all it has needed.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #42
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Having 2 bikes was a nuisance for me; I only ever rode my GS and the SV sat idle. Now I have the GS for everything except snow and hauling junk, and a small pickup for everything else.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote