Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBnite View Post
I dumped my KLR on a concrete low water crossing covered in algae. NO traction for my feet, so I had to drag it to the end and pick it up then. Not pretty but I was alone!

That is the other point, try not to go it alone , if possible. This also! Friends are good for something besides carrying all the beverages

RB
Same except it was dirt mud clay mix in the bottom of a wash not even gravel. Silly heavy KLR's sure do like to take baths don't they?
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 273
If you've been crashing, the bike must have its share of scrapes. Just drag the bike around by the front or rear wheel until the wheels are below the handlebars as much as possible. Put the front or rear wheel aganst a tree stump, dirt mound or rock if it you think it will slide away from you.

You don't HAVE to pick it ALL the way up in most cases. Find a heavy branch or chunk of wood or a big flat rock and set it alongside your foot when you do the first lift. Grab the handlebar cross bar (either facing the bike or with your backside to it) or the seat strap or muffler, and lift slightly using your legs, then when you get stabilized with the bike maybe 1/3 of the way up, kick said log/branch/rock underneath the bike, preferably underneath the footpeg/engine/etc as far under as you can get it. This will allow you to stabilize the bike partially raised, which allows you to squat down and get a new grip to use your legs to right the bike. Sometimes you can use your tow-strap (you do carry a tow-strap?) or a belt tp wrap around a footpeg or muffler mount that let's you get a good rotational lift using your back against the bike.

Having electric start is an advantage, since it isn't as critical where the bike is once you get it righted. Once it's back on its wheels, stand beside it and start the engine and bulldog it back to the road/trail.

For us gray-hairs, the worst part of the recovery sometimes was finding a way to get yourself back in the saddle and then trying to kick-start a flooded engine while your downhill leg was 5 feet in the air! After the original bark-busters were invented, you soon learned to hang on to the handlebars and de-clutch while crashing. If you coud hop up real quick, you could sometimes pick up the bike before it stalled!
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
The difference between humans and dumb animals is that humans use tools.

I carry a length of seatbelt webbing with D-rings sewn into one end, with that looped over my shoulder I can deadlift my bike - I can't otherwise. That's about the size of a packet of ciggies rolled up.
It'd also make it a lot easier to drag it around - though fortunately, that's untested.

A ratchet strap would likely give you that option, as well as being able to tie it round a tree and ratchet the bike around.

Sorry guys, brute strength is the dumb option here, look for options which use smarts and simple tools, not strength.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #19
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
At home, in your back yard, gently lay the bike down on its side. Now you get to practice picking it up!

Try several of the techniques you've read about. Dead lift, butt to the bike seat, etc. Learn which ones seem to work well with you and this bike, and which ones don't. I will agree that the butt to the seat technique really only works with dressers that only fall over partially. I've often found that some sort of dead lift, gripping the lower handle bar in one hand and the seat in the other and levering the bike often works well enough for me.

I'm also not at all afraid to use chunks of wood, dead limbs and rocks. Get the bike partially up, or even one end partially up, and shove something under it. Repeat on the other end and as necessary. This can become more important as the day wears on and I'm getting more and more tired.

I've also learned positioning the bike is darn important. Nothing brings tears like getting the bike up...and over, falling onto the other side. Or getting it up and then trying to chase it down the hill as it starts rolling away. I will drag whichever end moves more easily in order to position the bike in a way that not only can I get it up, but can do something with it once it is upright. Being upright and facing down a ravine is not good for example.

A neat piece of kit that I've lost apparently is a deer hunting block and tackle. A little too big to fit in a pocket. But it is able to lift several hundred pounds, and with its hooks and excess rope, you can connect it to trees and such, to drag a bike around, and to help lift it upright. If I can't find my old one, I'll go buy a replacement to carry on trail rides.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
What I Would Do In Your Case

There are two keys I use to gett the bike's rubber back down. First is to make sure any pulling force I execute goes through the center of my body/ back and through my feet as much as possible. It is o.k. to reach "over" a down bike as long as I am pulling horizontal "through" my back instead of an offset lift that will stress my back. (Say like pulling on the handle bars down hill). The second key is to get good traction. Combining both key items as a last resort would be to lay down on the ground (or against a tree) and push the bike, tires, handle or whatever with my arms or legs. There is a reason one can bench PRESS more than they can lift.

Looking at your bike and assuming I could not move it the way I was lifting I would look to change my approach. Is this on a switch back so I could go down the hill to solid surface? Either way since I would want a running motor to help me get the bike up the slope so I would get the front and rear wheels even on the slope. First I would try tugging the front wheel up hill, rotating the bike on the foot peg. By pulling from the front of the bike tire I can get some leverage to make it rotate around the foot peg area. Key here is to get traction (feet) as far as possible from the bike foot pegs so can use leverage. If pulling on the front tire UP did not work I would try pulling the back tire DOWN the hill just a bit till bike was parallel to slope. Either way once parallel to the slope, it should be easier to get vertical as it is already part way there (I would then lift from the "high" side"), pushing down against the tire contact patch that hopefully has traction now that they are parallel to slope. Perhaps the back lift on you tube would work then but it does not seem to help me. Better to get "under" the uphill handle bar and just lift strait up (again being sure lift force goes straight down through my body, not offset to my feet). Once the bike is vertical I would start it and use the motor to help me walk it up the hill. I might be walking just barely vertical to the slope but as long as I am making progress to the road I keep going.

I think I would would definitely carry some kind of 30 ft (or more) 2" (or wider) tow strip / seat belt webbing in case the above approach did not work. Then I would loop the strap around the forward portion of the front wheel and around my waist then get up on the road (where the footing is good) and then walk / tug the front wheel up hill. If still could not get bike vertical then switch loop back to back wheel, go back up to the road and drag the back up a bit. Then repeat on the front wheel then back wheel crab walking up the hill till up. I have done this without a strap and it still works but much harder. If there is a thick tree up the hill to loop around then I might try using it as a pull so I am pulling down the hill to get the bike up. Or use the technique just to pull the back tire down the hill and then it vertical, start the motor and power up the hill as mentioned above.

If I did a lot of "lone" riding, I would consider some kind of solidly mounted back luggage rack. My stock KLR rack has slots that serve as an excellent "hand hold" for getting the rear vertical. Similarly, the front engine drop guards make it much easier to lift the front. Which end I lift depend on where I can get could traction. Our WR just does not seem to have anything to grab hold of in the back.

Better than all the above is of course to either ride with other riders (or where there are hillbillies) and/or to be more careful when alone. A guy in Houston got his leg severely burned by a heavy bike that he could not get out from under fast enough. To mitigate this risk, I always wear full gear including gloves, full face helmet, knee pads, kevlar lined riding jeans, and tall motocross boots when off road alone.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
I carry a length of seatbelt webbing with D-rings sewn into one end, with that looped over my shoulder I can deadlift my bike - I can't otherwise.
That's an excellent idea! I was vaguely thinking (slowly) about those lifting straps I see sold.

Cudo's to you!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
It happened to me.. I have started riding trails after over 25 years of just street,I bought a xr650l to ride,first time out I fell over and had to drag this thing to find a hill to get the wheel down hill to pick it up..I am 71 years old and should be home in a chair but the urge hit me to ride some dual sport stuff and my wife said I didn't have to justify another bike..She said a man my age should be able to do what he wants.. Got to love her for that
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerdave View Post
I am 71 years old and should be home in a chair
BS .. it is your life, live it the way you want. Keep going.

Yer got a good wife there too.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
The key is to lift up the bike before the adrenaline from crashing wears off. It may hurt a bit later though. lol
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
i've never seen a video of what you do if the bike is down on the kickstand side, nor what to do if it's down on an incline. Luckily, i'm big enough and usually so embarrassed/angry that the adrenalin allows me to pick it up using brute strength.
+1

Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
That's my most urgent question right now - how DO you lift your bike after a spectacular spill? Because I've been doing some very spectacular spills (noob to the trails) and I'm having a hell of a time pulling my bike (WR250R) back to an upright position.

It's getting to the point where I'm far more afraid of lifting my bike than launching off it in some unnatural manner.

It was a fun spill; I ended up flying down the ravine and landed about eight feet directly below my bike. After taking a bunch of pictures, I prepared to retrieve my bike and go on my way.

I'm not a weak woman, but I absolutely could NOT move my bike. At all. I lift heavy weights on a regular basis but after 45 minutes of struggling without moving it an inch, I realized I was pretty much screwed. A hillbilly with a big, bushy beard came rolling up and yanked the bike out and back upright with surprisingly little trouble. Thank goodness for hillbillies.

Anyway. This is the bruise I got last night. From falling? NO. Simply from LIFTING my WRR upright:

So how do you do it?? Do I need to carry a come along and an elaborate pulley system with me on every trip? Bring a hillbilly in a sidecar? Buy a winch?
If we could see a bit more leg, I believe we could make a better assessment, from a scientific point of view.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Kat013
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
For those situation where KlaiRe could possibly end in a ravie/ wash/ gully/ whateverthehellyoucallthemwhereyoulive, I made a nice litte block and tackle set out of stainless/ brass dual wheel pulleys, couple of high test rated spring closure hooks (think whats on the end of a winch), and about 60' of 550 cord. whole thing weighs about 1.5-2 lbs. pain in the ass is getting the 550 cord wrapped back up. havent had a chance to useit yet, hope I don't either.
Could you post pics? Perhaps a diagram and hints on construction? It would be greatly appreciated by all 125 lbs of me.
Kat013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
That's my most urgent question right now - how DO you lift your bike after a spectacular spill?
Romanian deadlift
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #29
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
I carry a length of seatbelt webbing with D-rings sewn into one end, with that looped over my shoulder I can deadlift my bike - I can't otherwise...

A ratchet strap would likely give you that option, as well as being able to tie it round a tree and ratchet the bike around.
Both good ideas. I made myself a strap with a hook on the end when I was learning to put my bike on the centerstand, and I imagine that this will eventuallget used to pull the bike around. But I also like the idea of a ratchet strap - even a cheap 500# one from Home Depot could be the difference between calling for help and getting the bike onto the road yuorself. Great idea!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVSxX6ogWQ

Ever see someone flip a raft? Some rope with a carabiner, and you're off.

My DR650 is light enough that I haven't felt the need to take a rope with me, but this is what I'd try first if I wanted some help.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote