User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
driller OP
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
Testing, 1, 2, 3....

I am sitting here grinning like the Cheshire Cat.
I brought my "new to me"PCX 125 home yesterday and had a chance to take it out for a good run despite some chilly temps.
Running the scoot on a course near home had me laughing and hooting. More fun between 25 and 45 mph than an adult should be allowed! After about twenty miles of curves, sweepers and hills I was more than happy over my new purchase.
The PCX feels almost like a bicycle compared to my Majesty. So nimble, quick and easy to turn into curves. I had to watch it at first when doing some high apex turns it is so easy to fall into them. Barely a nudge of the bar and turn of the head seems all it takes.
There is a mountain lake near my home. The road around it has a lot of what we call "ups, downs and arounds". Many tight turns and elevation changes makes a rider think of the Dragon". At the end of this run, we often say to one another "we don't neeed no steenkin Dragon".
The little 125 has good pull out of the turns and has a suprisingly decent amount of engine braking going in. It was challenged with a few steeper hills and was able to pull my 190 lbs along without losing too much momentum. It was doing well to maintain 45 on a couple of grades, but that was actually 15mph faster than posted limits. Only a couple of places allowed me to hit more than 55 before a series of tight turns loomed.
The ride is surpisingly supple and the bike stayed fairly well composed in the turns and when the road surface changed..
Brakes are more than adequate for the weight and speeds involved.
The seat was fairly comfortable the limited time I was aboard. I did throw a spare Alaska Leathers Butt Pad on having read a few complaints about the seat (try sitting on a DR650 very long ).
Do I sound like a happy camper? You betcha!!!

The PCX 150 has advantages with extra ponies being the most significant. However,the beating in price the 125's have taken upon the 150's introduction makes the trade off well worth it. Gently used with only 1800 miles, my little scoot set me back less than half the price of a new PCX150.
As spring unfolds, I intend to take some longer rides on this scooter and will provide updates on how it performs.
High mileage, high smileage and and the wind in my face...
Cheers!
Driller.

The Majesty may be feeling neglected.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"

driller screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 07:24 PM Reason: Spelling
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Congrats on the new ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Nice report Driller

It is good to read news from an old friend. Nice ride!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
some people get into th 0-60, some get into the electric this electronic that, and some people just go ride and have LOTS of FUN!!! I think the key to this odd looking scooter is the good size tires and being able of doing 50+mph !!!

Thanks for posting!!!

Damasovi
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
What is the top speed? I have a Zuma 125, and it tops out at about 55, on flat level roads with no wind.

I agree that performance of a motorcycle has little meaning to me, as long as it will keep up with traffic. But scooters are a different deal, depending on where you want to ride them. Both my Vino and Zuma keep up with city traffic very well, though the Zuma accelerates a little better, which means you are less likely to get run over by the leadfoot behind you, especially leaving a light. The big issue I have with both the Vino and Zuma, and the PCX125, is that they are not freeway legal in the U.S. in most places, which severely limits where you can go. Back east there are a lot of rural roads, and it is not much of a problem. But out west here there are not that many rural roads that actually go anywhere. There are thousands of miles of them, but they mostly go around in circles, within the state. To get from AZ to CA in the southwest, you basically have 2 choices, I-10 or I-8. I love the idea of long distance travel on scooters, but it is all but impossible in the U.S. without getting on a freeway once in a while. I do realize many countries do not have this issue.

I still believe in this age of $4 a gallon gas that freeways should have a slow speed lane, so you can actually get somewhere in/on a small slow vehicle. I don't see that happening though.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
driller OP
Twist and Go

Still testing...

Can't say for sure what the top speed with me on it is Jerry. The circuit I rode did not have enough long straights to let it wind out. It does get to 50 easily and I would guess the next 10-12 mph will come a bit slower. All the comments so far say the scoot is limited to a max of 62mph.
If it warms up today, I plan to put the Garmin on the handle bar and find an open stretch to see where it tops out and how accurate the speedo is.
Stay tuned.....
2011 PCX 125
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,109
Congrats on the new acquisition! And, of course, I admire your good taste with the red. Good buy at the price, too!

I have been delighted with the performance and handling of our new PCXes (is that proper plural?).

Coming to a scooter after 45 years of motorcycles has been an interesting experience... I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out.

For some perspective, I was swayed towards the 150s because of the "legal on the Interstate" aspect, but these seem to be best at speeds up to 55 mph, anyway. I've only been out on the slab from one exit to the next just to try it out... yeah, this size scoot is happier on the secondary roads.

Enjoy!

Captain Jim
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I still believe in this age of $4 a gallon gas that freeways should have a slow speed lane, so you can actually get somewhere in/on a small slow vehicle. I don't see that happening though.
yeah JerryH I do not see this in the making anytime soon. Where I live there is not legal requirements for cc just using your mirrors 3-4 per second to see if the killer SUV or minivan want to run over you, and the closest we get to interstate is the toll roads that are way faster than the non toll roads that go everywhere.

I will continue reading!!

Damasovi
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition! And, of course, I admire your good taste with the red. Good buy at the price, too!

I have been delighted with the performance and handling of our new PCXes (is that proper plural?).

Coming to a scooter after 45 years of motorcycles has been an interesting experience... I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out.

For some perspective, I was swayed towards the 150s because of the "legal on the Interstate" aspect, but these seem to be best at speeds up to 55 mph, anyway. I've only been out on the slab from one exit to the next just to try it out... yeah, this size scoot is happier on the secondary roads.

Enjoy!

Captain Jim

While I can see the PCX150 as definitely not being safe on the 101, 202, 51, or 60, I think it could be ridden on I-10 once you get away from the city, and I have ridden my Vino 125 all the way to San Diego and back on I-8, which is mostly deserted except for trucks. I never felt in danger on I-8, but I was a long way from home, and was getting paranoid about getting stopped by the police. Had I been on a 150, that would not have been the case.

No 150 is going to be "happy" on the freeway, and there is definitely some danger involved. I would never try to ride a small scooter a long distance on the freeway (except I-8, which, like I said, is pretty much deserted, and has great visibility) but just being able to ride 20 miles on a freeway would get me to a lot of places I cannot legally get to with a smaller scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
driller OP
Twist and Go

A good day out...

Just got back from a nice ride to further evaluate the PCX 125. The temps broke 50f with blue skies and few wind gusts like yesterday.
Heading down to town I have to ride on roads like this....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The GPS was on and I went looking for some flat stretches to see what the top end on the scoot might be. First off, the speedometer is quite accurate. Probably the best of any of the bikes I have ridden. I was seeing perhaps one to half a mph difference between the needle and the GPS numbers. That was at lower speeds as well as higher.
The bike will get up to 45-50 quite nicely. From there it is a slower trip to what looked like 61 mph max when I felt what must have been the rev limiter working. 60 works for me!
Cruising along on the flats, the scooter purred along between 50-55 with ease. At 50, there is some throttle left but what is left comes slowly. Still quite acceptable for a 125 cc machine.
Then came the part of the ride that would test the mettle of this little red beastie. Near the house is White Oak Mtn. The road up and down is steep with plenty of hard switchback turns and rises 2800 ft from the bottom.

I counted 26 of these hairpins on the way up to here.....

An up hill pull with a great reward. You could see snow capped peaks over towards MT. Mitchell far to the West.
Just a pause for a glamour shot....little poser.

22 more switch backs got us down the back side of the mountain.

The PCX pulled me up the mountain very easily. I have ridden several different bikes up this route and must say this scooter was probably the easiest yet. Even when losing momentum going around the sharp switchbacks it would pull ahead and regain speed quickly. Engine braking worked well going down and it wasn't necessary to over use the brakes.
Considering most of my riding involves elevation changes (some gentle and some extreme) I was more than pleased with how this bike handles it all.

After 60 miles and some time in the saddle I am very pleased with the PCX.

More to come.
Cheers!
Driller
2011 PCX 125
Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,816
Looks like you had a great ride. A small, lightweight scooter and a twisty road make a great combination

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Looks like you had a great ride. A small, lightweight scooter and a twisty road make a great combination
+1 on what he said!

Damasovi
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,165
Those are some great looking roads to ride a 125 scoot!

Wish I had my own "mini dragon" to play on!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Nice roads

Excellent report!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Let us know what kind of gas mileage you are getting after you run a few tanks through it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is online now   Reply With Quote