Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Hmmmm.... Perhaps we need to do our own study. How's about we get a trip to Alaska, and have one or more of each bike involved?

I'll ride the 990 R for testing...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #32
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
It is funny how different people see things different. If you have ever competed a consumer reports owners survey there is a lot of room for opinion, not facts. The question is have you ever had a serious problem with your bike. I have owned 2 Hondas, combined 50,000 miles. 1 with a serious problems that was a rear wheel bearing. The thing that made it serious was it took the dealer 2 weeks to repair and I had to cancel a trip. I have had 2 Yamaha bikes no problems 2 kawa no problem and 2 beemers with 175,000 miles & no problems. I still think Japanese bike have better reliability but not as easy to fix. I however chose to ride what makes me feel the best. BMW!!!!
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
The only thing I find interesting is the fact that they did a similar survey a few months ago on CARS. The BMW came up DEAD LAST, followed closly behind by VW. I can attest to the validity of the data... having a son who bought a brand new VW and had nothing but trouble with it from day 1. What's up with German engineering??? They used to make some of the best stuff.

Otherwise, no surprise that HD and other non-Japanese bikes are less reliable.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
I'm surprised our favorite HD salesman hasn't chimed in on this subject.

He's a great guy, and frankly I don't blame him for trying to make a sale, but he swears HD is the best bike on the road.

In fact, we just had this conversation the other day. I told him I'm interested in a Yamaha Star, and he tried talking me into an HD FHXDKXWDGSDS or whatever they're called.

Sorry, DAKEZ.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Every time I read something like this I thank doG that I got the only good one out of the thousands built. R1200GS bought new in September of 2004 and has 117370 trouble-free miles so far. Rear shock puked the oil out at 24k, replaced on warranty and an output shaft seal and a final drive seal replaced at regular service. She still has the original clutch and final drive probably due to being owned by a "mature" rider.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
I can't speak to Japanese bikes reliability, BMW or Italian makes either but I've owned and ridden a bunch of Harleys and one Buell since 1970 and only had one bike strand me one time. A wheel bearing failure on my 2010 Road King. At 16,000 miles. That sorta pissed me off, last thing I'd expect to have let go at 16K. 90 miles from the nearest Harley dealer over Independence Pass, in a nice drizzling rain.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
FJ Fun
Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer: 73
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs1911fan View Post
I miss my Moto Guzzi CRAP...are we going to have to buy two more bikes?? .... smaller house, bigger garage!!!

Mrs1911fan
At least you have your priorities in order!

FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post

Consumer Reports is where i turn to buy appliances like fridges, washers and cars. Motorcycles are visceral and there are so many uncontrolled variables.
Isn't that the truth.

I sold a KLR one time that I had put lots of miles on and really over-maintained and loved. I knew everything about that bike and as I was selling it I took the time to explain all the detailed maintenance and upgrades I had done. The guy buying the bike listened to my whole explanation and then said that he didn't do much maintenance. He said he generally changed the oil in stuff every few years and didn't buy into the hype of all the other things. WTH? As I watched the bike leave on a trailer it felt like I was selling one of my kids into indentured servitude.

My relationship with bikes is different. I bond with things and enjoy doing maintenance and keeping up with them. If there is a new noise or vibration I usually pick up on it right away and fix it. That is part of the ownership experience for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #39
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,625
It is all a question of priorities. I never bought a vehicle based on its consumer report and reliability. I buy them for the fun of driving/riding them or for their utility.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #40
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Fuck them all consumer rating surveyors!

I think I can get better response from the riders of that particular bike.

I am just going to cruise on my Agusyamabemhonda now!
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONKR View Post
Every time I read something like this I thank doG that I got the only good one out of the thousands built. R1200GS bought new in September of 2004 and has 117370 trouble-free miles so far. Rear shock puked the oil out at 24k, replaced on warranty and an output shaft seal and a final drive seal replaced at regular service. She still has the original clutch and final drive probably due to being owned by a "mature" rider.
Actually you didn't get a 'good one', according to you the shock failed at 24k.
How expensive is that part? $1k? Something like that.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
left out too many manufactures to be a valid article. Esp. concerned that BMW in this article is read as "Europe's bike manufactures are not reliable" when one's like Triumph were not even in the evaluation.
Triumph was specifically mentioned!
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #43
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
While Consumer Reports does publish some truth, I always wonder...who reviews the reviewer? It's like they're annointed by God or something.

Yet...I've seen them ding Corvettes for stiff ride and lack of cupholders.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #44
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
I've been riding for 35 looooong years.
I've known lots of riders.
Personal experience with reliability?

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki in that order.

The nothing for a long time.

Then KTM and BMW, HD and everything else.

I have had 12 Yamahas, and currently own 4: WR250R, TTR90E, Rhino, 242 Limited S. Not one has ever, once, in all these years, EVER broken down in any way whatsoever, besides 1 flat tire, but I don't blame the bike...

I have not once, not ever once, met someone with a KTM or BMW or HD that hasn't told me about some kind of problems they've had, and some of them have had huge issues.

Maybe I'm just a mechanical master genius, but I doubt it.
Hi.
My name is David, Nice to meet you. I'm on my second BMW since 1996 and have never had any problems whatsoever. Wear items - brakes, tires, batteries only. The first bike, never changed ANY fluid but engine oil...EVER.
So, now you can say you met someone who never had any problems
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #45
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
If it is such groundbreaking and shocking news, why when it comes to big bike sales, are they lagging so far behind HD and BMW? Honda are up there in international market share but not thanks to their big bikes.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote