Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #46
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
Hi.
My name is David, Nice to meet you. I'm on my second BMW since 1996 and have never had any problems whatsoever. Wear items - brakes, tires, batteries only. The first bike, never changed ANY fluid but engine oil...EVER.
So, now you can say you met someone who never had any problems

Buy lottery tickets! Hit on women out of your league! You can't miss, ( just funning with you a little ).
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #47
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
If it is such groundbreaking and shocking news, why when it comes to big bike sales, are they lagging so far behind HD and BMW? Honda are up there in international market share but not thanks to their big bikes.
If motorcycling is a hobby or life style to you, you won't buy it based on its reliability record. If you commute on a motorcycle, or you work delivering pizzas in a third world country, then you are likely to want a reliable machine.

H-D's is about a life style. BMW GS motorcycles are also about a life style type of machine. Reliability is not much of a factor, it seems.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #48
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 416
As an engineer myself I can tell that German engineering dropped the ball in late '80 early '90 when it comes to motorcycles and cars as well. BMW is still trying to coast on that old "simple and bullet proof" reputation. Harley on the other hand never even had a ball , building the same sh... for 100 years and still can't get it right. Although their paint jobs are excellent quality.
Reliability is the first thing that I look for when I buy any kind of vehicle. I like to tinker on my bikes in my garage , but just for pleasure and not for a need .As an adventure rider that takes trips to the middle of nowhere for weeks I need a reliable bike and that's a number one priority and I don't give a f... about the style and what my neighbors and coworkers and a bunch of hillbillies think about my bike .

lukasteam screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 06:29 PM
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #49
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,401
Ahhh, another BMW bashing thread from non-BMW owners. You guys should just go here and get it over with: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84020

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #50
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
As an engineer myself I can tell that German engineering dropped the ball in late '80 early '90 when it comes to motorcycles and cars as well. BMW is still trying to coast on that old "simple and bullet proof" reputation. Harley on the other hand never even had a ball , building the same sh... for 100 years and still can't get it right. Although their paint jobs are excellent quality.
Reliability is the first thing that I look for when I buy any kind of vehicle. I like to tinker on my bikes in my garage , but just for pleasure and not for a need .As an adventure rider that takes trips to the middle of nowhere for weeks I need a reliable bike and that's a number one priority and I don't give a f... about the style and what my neighbors and coworkers and a bunch of hillbillies think about my bike ride .
Hey - I like your style. But just so we're clear - BMW cars were absolute dogshit in the 60s, 70s and most of the 80s. They were the most unreliable, semi-functional, rusted up excuses for a car you could find anywhere on the planet.

Then BMW had a moment of genius and made the BMW M1 - and then they had an epiphany and transplanted that engine into what was to be the BMW M5. Creating in one stroke what was to become a long line of BMW M cars to follow.

But without that... you never would have had the BMW M division. They never would have had their "halo products", they never would have had the money to compete with Mercedes, they probably never would have been in formula one.

I'd say that BMW cars are as good today as they've ever been - but don't buy the "luxury models". If you want to buy the best that BMW has to offer buy either the 3 or 5-series - they are the mass market models and they have the most research and development hours behind them.

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 04:02 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
I currently ride:
2011 Ninja 1000,
2008 KLR 650,
2008 Buell Super TT
2001 Buell S3
2003 DRZ 400,
1948 Indian Chief
1924 Indian Chief
1960 Harley Duo Glide

Out of all these motorcycles only one has required that it be picked up by my truck because it failed to start (the KLR's batter died).
None of these bikes have every had a serious mechanical failure.
Each Buell has had a sensor go out - that caused the motor to run crappy, but I was able to get home, diagnose the problem and fix it easily.
The Old Chiefs and Harley were restored by me and have never broken down - event on cross-state rides, but they do take some tending to.
The 2011 Ninja 1000 is my most recent bike - and what sold me on it was the KLR 650. I actually developed some brand loyalty towards Kawasaki while riding the KLR.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #52
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Consumer Reports magazine: May 2013
Saddest thing about all of this is why the US press has to resort to such marketing hyperbolism - issuing a magazine in March and giving it a date two months hence in order to make the dumb ass readers believe it is more current than the next magazine on the news stand.

A very sad indictment of how much the dog-eat-dog scramble for the almighty dollar demeans our society.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #53
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
I lost faith in CR years ago when they reviewed gourmet coffees. As a coffee snob, I know that beans from different geographical areas have different taste profiles. CR didn't know that and in their report dinged some phenomenal Kenyan AA coffees as winey (a trait of the Africans) and a killer Sumatran as too earthy (an Indonesian trait). It was clear that they lacked a fundamental awareness of specialty coffee, and were unqualified to judge. Once I saw that I started looking at their methodology for other products and generally found it rife with subjectivism and poorly designed.

I'm on my third BMW after a 40 year string of Hondas, Yamahas, and a Triumph. I push my eurobikes a LOT harder in all sorts of weather than the Japanese bikes in my past, and have yet to have a single failure that was not self-inflicted.

CR can go pound sand.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #54
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,124
Consumer Reports is possibly of some slight value to blind people who can't see the obvious for themselves. Other than that, a useless rag.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #55
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Anyone actually read the article.

A few direct quotes:

"in which we asked subscribers to to tell us about any serious problems or repairs they head with their bikes in the previous four years.

Overall about one-fith of the 4680 bikes for which we received data experienced a major problem in that time period.

Although we didn't receive adequate data to include Suzuki and Triumph motorcyles in our analysis, the response we got suggest that Suzuki provided similar reliability as the other Japenses brands and Triumphs were among the more problematic brands.

Among the bikes that needed repairs, respondents reported having the most troulbe with accessories, such as lights, instruments, switches, and radios (21 percent); brakes (20 percent); the electrical system (16 percent); and the fuel system (15 percent).

Mechanical engine problems were relatively rare, with only 3 percent having trouble with the cylinder head or valvetrain, or with the crankcase, crankshaft or pistons. Similarily, only 3 percent neeeded transmission repairs, although 7 percent had clutch problems.

Seventy percent of all repairs cost less than $200 out of pocket and about two-thirds of the repaired bikes were back on the road within a couple of days."

These certaily don't sound like serious problems to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #56
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Blah blah, my KTM blows up all the time and I love it. If you buy a bike for reliability you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #57
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Are you you a degreed engineer from an ABET accredited college, or just have a job that calls you an engineer? If you are, you would know that engineers design within parameters that include cost, time, and aesthetics. Without knowing the parameters they designed with, it's pretty irresponsible to the profession to disparage their work.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #58
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Saddest thing about all of this is why the US press has to resort to such marketing hyperbolism - issuing a magazine in March and giving it a date two months hence in order to make the dumb ass readers believe it is more current than the next magazine on the news stand.

A very sad indictment of how much the dog-eat-dog scramble for the almighty dollar demeans our society.
I've got a 04 jeep grande chero

bought new

everybody knocks sepo cars

I was asked last week if the parts for the jeep were expensive

I said I don't know, it never breaks down

I've had other sepo cars

never a problem

but I keep getting asked about how many breakdowns

so the reason for posting this

is don't believe urban legends about reliability of a vehicle

so in my opinion there are too many variables in these stats

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #59
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
I've got a 04 jeep grande chero

cheers
What kind of motorcycle is that?
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #60
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Harley on the other hand never even had a ball , building the same sh... for 100 years and still can't get it right.

And you're an engineer ?
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote