ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
raak OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Newbie Alert ... Welcome me :)

Hey All,

I am a newbie on this forum, but have raced in rallies since as far in life back as I can remember. Love the sport, passionate about riding as much as I was back then.

I live in New Jersey, ride a KTM 530 EXC-R and am preparing for Raid de Himalaya 2013. Just went out riding with an awesome group of riders - Doc Gonzoo (Barry), Jack O'Connor, Mike Bradway, Dan Polak and at least a dozen other enthusiasts. It was awesome. We rode in the Pine Barrens.

I will need some help in the next few months, and if any of you can spare some thoughts, suggestions and guidance on subjects that you are familiar with, I will appreciate it very much.

1. Increase handlebar height, seat height, lower foot rests on my motorcycle. I am 6 feet tall, and can't get ride aggressively in standing position. I almost have to stand straight with arms all the way down and have a hard time throttling freely when standing. Ergonomics.

2. Need to change (upgrade) electrical system to accumulate HID lights from BajaDesigns.com. Do you recommend the stator they sell?

3. Need some sponsorship, I will be racing on the highest motorable road in the world (Khardungla Pass), I can get media (pictures and videos) for sponsors to use, besides that I can do anything that will be within my reach for the sponsors. If you know a way for me to raise some funds, please suggest.

Other than this, I will be browsing through the forum and will make sure I contribute with my knowledge and experience wherever I can. I live on Jersey Shore, if there are any riders here who would like to connect for a ride, please let me know.

Thanks everyone ... Looking forward to making a lot of friends here.

Raak
raak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,673
Welcome to the Asylum!
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
raak OP
n00b

Thanks !!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
haystack
Just ride

Tell us more about Raid de Himalaya 2013!
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
raak OP
n00b

Sorry for the late response ...

Ok so Raid de Himalaya is a 15 year old Raid that runs on the Rally format on the Himalayan ranges in India. It started in 1999. It usually takes place in the first week of October. On an average it sees around 40 cars and 50-80 motorcycle participants. 10-20% complete the race. So far, 3 people have died while participating in this raid. All in 2001. (All three were my good friends).

The raid runs for 5 days. It starts around 5000 feet high in altitude and goes up to the highest motorable road in the world Khardungla Pass @18K+ altitude.

This event is a true test of man and machine. It is not one of those high speed sprint events. Actually endurance is the most important factor here. Finishers are winners and we have seen dramatic endings when it comes to the final day. Total distance covered in 5 days is close to 2000 miles.

My biggest accomplishment in my riding history was in this event in 2001 when I rode a total of 300 miles, in competition stages, passing 2 high passes (kunzum pass and Baralacha Pass - 17K high) without front or rear brakes. It was one hell of a ride :)

Here are some links:
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EdnO...E284BB1D0C1C4B

I am most likely going to go on a 500EXC (as of today), want to take a Fuel Injection instead of a carb.

Let's see how it goes ... I have done it two times before and won it in 1999 in my category, and then overall 3rd and 1st in my category in 2001.

I have 4 months, need to lose 40 lbs and generate close to $20K. Ideas, and suggestions will be appreciated big time.

Thanks

Raak
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Jesters, That's a heck of a resume! How about t-shirts? That's how the ISDE guys do it! Good luck. Subscribed!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
raak OP
n00b

Tshirts? And ISDE?

I already am getting a good feeling about how and where this discussion is heading ... thanks for your inputs.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,038
Newbie Welcome...

Raak, was great to meet you in the sand of the Pine Barrens. I think this is your bike in the foreground ( and CJ Ramone in the background with the sun on him!):

Got any pictures from your previous Himalaya adventures?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
raak OP
n00b

Barry, same here. It was a great experience. Totally loved it and look forward to more.

That bike in the picture is Brian's 250 (NY plate) ... mine looks the same from behind.

Unfortunately I lost some of my valued pictures from raid, specially one where I am riding on Kunzum pass in competition without brakes. But here are some left over pics...

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
I was with ya till you brought up the Duck.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
raak OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I was with ya till you brought up the Duck.
Duck?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
haystack
Just ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by raak View Post

Looks like Team Avalanche won by a landslide!
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by raak View Post
Duck?

Long stroy.Not so funny joke.

Welcome.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
raak OP
n00b

Ok friends ... Back to sponsorship ...

So Happy Seal, are you suggesting to print t-shirts for the event and sell those for a profit to raise funds? I know someone who can help print them cheap, but selling would require a whole level of marketing. How do you go about selling those?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you can toss any other ideas at me.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,298
You could create a blog on wordpress.com and offer the t-shirts and/or stickers for a donation to your project.

This link explains that as long as you create the items and you're using Paypal "donate" button, you can do this. It will require some time on your end to learn how to use wordpress (pretty easy), set up a donate account with Paypal, and write up a nice post about the t-shirts with pictures.
http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic...ems?replies=18

You could go more fancy and set up a e-commerce blog at wordpress.org, but you'd have to pay for hosting (cheap).

You'll have to be on top of mailing things out promptly. The USPS website allows you to print postage, and you can either ship priority mail (free envelopes and boxes from the post office) or buy a bulk of 12x9 shipping envelopes.

Whatever you do, it's going to take a bit of work to set-up and manage. Good luck in your journey...sounds really neat!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote