Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 396
Anybody else ever got busted from Youtube?

I know a guy who got busted from the DEC for riding on state lands. I guess I wasn't aware that this was happening or that it could happen. Anybody else got a ticket in the mail for breaking the law?
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
NC BMW Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I know someone who got busted by the FAA for some flying he did and posted on YouTube.
NC BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Anybody dumb enough to do something they know to be illegal and then post video evidence on a public site deserves what they get, and should get no sympathy. All they do is make out sport look bad and drag all of us down with them.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
It is a good idea when breaking the law to not provide the authorities any evidence of such hooliganism. To me this includes using a helmet cam while riding in a "spirited" or hooligan-like manner, as they could (at least potentially) use it as evidence. I don't know of anybody who has been personally busted based on it, but I'm sure it will become even more common. There's not even anything Constitutionally wrong with it given that you're (presumably) voluntarily putting it out there for public consumption (I.e. they didn't hack your computer without a warrant to get the evidence).
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
And turn your GPS off also.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Just don't claim that it's you in the video description. You are still innocent until proven guilty. Although with traffic tickets there is usually a presumption of guilt. If you are doing something that is clearly illegal it's probably best not to post it. They usually have to have the date, general time, and location where the offense occurred as well as the name and DL # of the offender to write a ticket.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Tickets and insurance rates. You never know who's tracking/stalking you. I won't post vids of my excessive speeding or the top speed screen shot from my GPS. Sure, I'll brag and boast to friends verbally but never online.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
I know a guy who got busted from the DEC for riding on state lands. I guess I wasn't aware that this was happening or that it could happen. Anybody else got a ticket in the mail for breaking the law?
citation needed.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,908
I turned someone in to the NPS for posting his ride on a protected area in Moab. I gave him an opportunity to take it down. He refused. Fuckwads like him give organizations like SUWA the ammunition to close more land to bikes. So I called the NPS. Idiot was a dentist and had a very wide online footprint, and I'm a very good researcher. Gave them his particulars. Fined, video removed. Asshat, and I have no regrets.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
This was a few years ago, and not on youtube. But a rider was pulled for reckless (passed on double yellow or similiar) going over Thornton's Gap on 211 near Sperryville VA. You will not always get arrested for reckless but I guess the State Trooper was not in the mood. Guy had a helmet cam which was confiscated. Commonwealths Attorney saw the tape which showed this guy running well over 120mph on mountain roads and making multiple dangerous passes. From what I remember they threw the book at the dude.

He caused the initial issue and traffic stop but he did not make things any better with 30 minutes of video showing him riding like a douchewaffle.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
blkhrt81
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Kid in Vancouver posted a Ghostrider type ride on Youtube, cops tracked it down . Can't remember just how it went down but seems to me he did face some charges.
blkhrt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #12
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363

As soon as someone says "You Tube" or Facebook, I can generally predict the age and level or lack of intelligence when I am about to hear what ever the story is to certainly follow...

Something about helmet cams and the like that seems to make one do stupid shit.
I have seen some wonderfully produced and edited videos and audio presentations from rides and trips, bike reviews and marvelous tech walk-throughs,
and to those people (that can exercise restraint) I salute you and say "thanks".

I also enjoy the funny stuff, as long as no small animals or someone's else's property was wrecked as a result.

But the whole "look how fast I can go till I crash and wreck something" stuff is stupid.

Just my own 10th grade era sense of humor of course, but this kind of funny. Must have been fun to produce.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
[SIZE=2]
As soon as someone says "You Tube" or Facebook, I can generally predict the age and level or lack of intelligence when I am about to hear what ever the story is to certainly follow...
Did you really just spew that load of bullshit from your mouthboard?

So, if I say I have a YouTube account and a Facebook account, and that I regularly use both, you say my age and level of intelligence are...?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

So, if I say I have a YouTube account and a Facebook account, and that I regularly use both, you say my age and level of intelligence are...?
Probably no videos to post and no friends on FB..

Do not know why everyone gets all torqued off about FB? I have friends and family around the globe and it is a great way for us to share. If someone starts posting a lot of useless shit, or politics 24/7, I simply delete their ass. Do I spend hours a day on it, fuck no, more like minutes a week.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

Me too, and though I sometimes act like a teen, I don't post anything like one.

Anyhow, there are lots of examples of people getting in trouble from YouTube postings of their asshattery!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote