ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,863
I think you were remembering the Radian ,not a Maxim.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,863
I,m wrong too. The Radian was air cooled also . Maybe the Fazer is the bike.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 367
Should be a good looking bike with a bit of cleaning. Sounds like everyone has given you good advice at this point. I'd sideline the tires, forks, brakes, etc until you get the engine going. Once it's running well, then move on to the other goodies.

Jealous of you, sounds like you got a good deal!
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: ANKENY, IOWA
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
That's a Maxim "X". It has a version of the engine right out of the old FZ sport bikes. Once it spins up, it rips pretty good. You will have fun with that one. You don't see very many around.

That's just the normal Maxim, bulletproof, torquey air cooled mill. The Maxim X had the water cooled, 5 valve, screamer of a motor from the FZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I,m wrong too. The Radian was air cooled also . Maybe the Fazer is the bike.
Fazer had the same water cooled, 5 valve motor as the FZ.

Man, I just love the bikes from the 80's.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
Y'all don't want to know the price I got it for lol cleaned all the carbs up bolted them on and all I'm getting is poping and farting out of it, a little spray and it cleans right up, so carbs comming back off tonight and kits will be put in hope fully that will cure my problems. On a side note might have to clean out fuel valve as I only get fuel on res. with gallon and half in it.
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 367
Did you disassemble the carbs, or just soak them?

Did you flush the tank, or just drain it and fill it?
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
flushed tank then soaked with oil (clean) then flushed it again then tore carbs down they looked good other than gummed up soaked them then blew them out sprayed them down with cleaner dryed them reassembled them never had an issue with doing this on auto carbs as long as gaskets were not riped or junk
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,823
If you haven't, pull the petcock and make sure the screen is clean and it's operating, that you are getting fuel to the carbs. I don't know if this is a vacuum operated petcock or not, if so put it on prime to check.

The other thing is, make sure you spray out the tiny little passages in the carbs with cleaner. They are really small.
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
If you haven't, pull the petcock and make sure the screen is clean and it's operating, that you are getting fuel to the carbs. I don't know if this is a vacuum operated petcock or not, if so put it on prime to check.

The other thing is, make sure you spray out the tiny little passages in the carbs with cleaner. They are really small.

thats all done had tank soda blasted new filter in it and on pri it does flow new lines to carbs and carb flange
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #25
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer
 
gunnabuild1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Ipswich Queensland
Oddometer: 583
Been here yet ? http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html
Should have everything covered for ya.
gunnabuild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
RRP13
Kinda superbikey
 
RRP13's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
? A maxim X? not sure what that means other than a package or trim level will this change parts that I should have ordered?
It will actually say "Maxim X" on side chrome under the rear seat if it is an X. I can't tell from pic.
__________________
Mark S.
XR400R -thumper
R1100GS - tractor
SV650 (and then there was one.) -road racer

RRP13 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 08:09 AM
RRP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #27
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Been here yet ? http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html
Should have everything covered for ya.

Been there three times to regester for an account one time last year had the e mail in inbox yet lol twice this week no account yet no reply to my messages so they must not be active anymore plus most people on dirt will help you street is where the problems lie...

Yes I do ride street my self only for the wife but think back to the last time you did NOT get a wave or knod back from a dual sport rider ? Most street riders I wave at nothing on the honda or the maxim even when I had the glide I got few if any most days
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP13 View Post
It will actually say "Maxim X" on side chrome under the rear seat if it is an X. I can't tell from pic.
No x in that piece of all. that is only a 700 maxim o well lol its a good beater bike if anything
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
zap2504
Dave E.
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Middletown, PA
Oddometer: 528
Try again to register on XJ Bikes as it is the motherlode of all XJ info. Also, Chacal (XJ4ever) carries almost all OEM parts and has published huge amounts of info for all XJ models.
RE carbs: they are not yet clean. Need to completely disassemble completely, soak in something that will not eat away rubber (there are rubber throttle shaft seals that are not in the parts diagrams), blow out everything, triple-check idle jets that are set in the bottom of each float bowl and provides gas to a little reservoir, reassemble, bench sync, set mixture screws at preliminary settings, check fuel levels in each carb bowl (easier to do this with the carbs off and mounted level on a bench), install, do final sync. It is a very frustrating process, but it is what it is. Again, lots of info on XJ Bikes.
Also check for delaminated rear brake shoes.
RE petcock: it's not working right as fuel should flow freely on PRI, but only with bike running when ON or RES. Rebuild kits available but some have experienced continual problems and just got new units. A manual petcock from a Raptor may fit.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Wi.
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
Try again to register on XJ Bikes as it is the motherlode of all XJ info. Also, Chacal (XJ4ever) carries almost all OEM parts and has published huge amounts of info for all XJ models.
RE carbs: they are not yet clean. Need to completely disassemble completely, soak in something that will not eat away rubber (there are rubber throttle shaft seals that are not in the parts diagrams), blow out everything, triple-check idle jets that are set in the bottom of each float bowl and provides gas to a little reservoir, reassemble, bench sync, set mixture screws at preliminary settings, check fuel levels in each carb bowl (easier to do this with the carbs off and mounted level on a bench), install, do final sync. It is a very frustrating process, but it is what it is. Again, lots of info on XJ Bikes.
Also check for delaminated rear brake shoes.
RE petcock: it's not working right as fuel should flow freely on PRI, but only with bike running when ON or RES. Rebuild kits available but some have experienced continual problems and just got new units. A manual petcock from a Raptor may fit.
Tryed for xj again, got carbs off and going to send them to a buddy up the road he deals with these alot more than I do was saying the same thing and for 4 bills to 5 bills he will have it going like new again. Thats what I'm after with this one as might be trying to get the wife on her own 2 wheeler this year...
__________________
Depending on the day its a goodin or its a


Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014