Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Been here yet ? http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html
Should have everything covered for ya.
are you on this site ? I tryed gain few min ago and keep getting this message
ERROR
Our records do not indicate an existing user named

Sent them a message twice no reply from anybody at this site... Maby they don't want new members?

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #32
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

carbs

So I got the carbs to a buddy who going threw them, he recomends the dynojet kit and air filters
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4302.pdf
and the k&n kit
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=rc-1824

Its going to be around 3 to 4 bills for the parts just to change the intake to open ellement don't get me wrong I have to mess with everything more power but a gain of 5 to 7 hp and I need to change out brand new mufflers ( 457 miles on them rember) no stage one or two kits out there to keep the pipes. Do I then take the head off port the snot out of it and put better cam in it also where do I stop ?

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
Get the carbs back from this guy as he';s no buddy if thats the advice he's giving you. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE.Theres nothing wrong with the exhaust or the porting in the head and the standard jets for the carbs can be purchased if needed. Let the airbox on the bike it works better than individual filters as this is no race bike.Your going to turn a nice project into a nightmare.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
I'll second that! Get it running and then consider modifications. The stock jetting is lean, but should work fine for now. It is more important to get the carbs clean. And that is a treat to accomplish. And I'd suggest a mild acid like vinegar, lemon juice, or a household shower cleaner and hours in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then probe all passages with a fine wire and clean again. Pinesol is very nasty to the zinc alloy of these carb bodies, don't use it!
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

got the ultra sonic soaked them in there with dawn dish soap for 3 days already only thing I got out the carbs was scum lol cleaned the tank and will pick up carbs tonight, he is a good buddy he and I both like to mess with stuff to go faster with what I can find as with him is a stage 3 kit they recomend porting or new high flow mufflers ect. ect. I'm not crazy about putting 5 to 7 hundred in to this total with gaskets and pipes, but I need a air box or to repair mine as the mice (only sopt I found on whole bike) chewed a dime sized hole in the bottom on the dirty side of filter so resin it up and clean the carbs again and again till it runs?

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #36
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

btw the carbs were solid and I mean solid tar when the bowls were pulled off get new ones or keep working these? Not normaly working on bikes much smaller parts than I'm acostom to working with lol

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #37
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
are you on this site ? I tryed gain few min ago and keep getting this message
ERROR
Our records do not indicate an existing user named

Sent them a message twice no reply from anybody at this site... Maby they don't want new members?
The registration procedure is automated. Have you tried again recently?
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
The registration procedure is automated. Have you tried again recently?
Yes after three tryes I got on there and got some info not much very hard to use in compared to this one

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

All you need to do is post a question or two and you'll get replies. The site trends more toward the 650/750/900's but there are plenty of knowledgable people who have the 700 (which isn't that different from the others). Orange-n-Black is particularly familiar with your model year http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/...maxim+700.html

k-moe screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:48 PM
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Get the carbs back from this guy as he';s no buddy if thats the advice he's giving you. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE.Theres nothing wrong with the exhaust or the porting in the head and the standard jets for the carbs can be purchased if needed. Let the airbox on the bike it works better than individual filters as this is no race bike.Your going to turn a nice project into a nightmare.
A huge +1 on that advice. Yamaha went all-out when they developed that engine series. There's not much to gain from messing with it, and a lot to lose.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #41
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
btw the carbs were solid and I mean solid tar when the bowls were pulled off get new ones or keep working these? Not normaly working on bikes much smaller parts than I'm acostom to working with lol
Untrasonic cleaning won't reach the passages very well at all. Read up and do it the only way that really works. http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html It may look intimidating, but if you take your time and do one carb at a time you'll be very pleased with the results.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #42
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1

Yes I am, I have no idea why you're having trouble,works for me and a very friendly and helpful bunch of people, old school in terms of how we speak to each other as in pretty formal courtesy.Use the search function and you should be able to answer just about anything.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #43
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Quote:

Yes I am, I have no idea why you're having trouble,works for me and a very friendly and helpful bunch of people, old school in terms of how we speak to each other as in pretty formal courtesy.Use the search function and you should be able to answer just about anything.
just posted there yesterday have a few replys now got a rude pm there from someone wanting pics and could not load them site is harder to use not as easy as this one lol but I like this one more been here longer

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #44
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Quote:

thinking they just need to see what is what starting to get some good info there thanks again

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer