Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #46
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
got the ultra sonic soaked them in there with dawn dish soap for 3 days already only thing I got out the carbs was scum lol cleaned the tank and will pick up carbs tonight, he is a good buddy he and I both like to mess with stuff to go faster with what I can find as with him is a stage 3 kit they recomend porting or new high flow mufflers ect. ect. I'm not crazy about putting 5 to 7 hundred in to this total with gaskets and pipes, but I need a air box or to repair mine as the mice (only sopt I found on whole bike) chewed a dime sized hole in the bottom on the dirty side of filter so resin it up and clean the carbs again and again till it runs?
Good soaking liquid to use is PineSol (see the long discussion). Need to completely disassemble each carb before soak. Follow the guidance and you will be good.

Do not mess with the "go fast" recommendations as the XJ engine gives extremely little power increases for the effort (just moves the torque to different rpms).
I believe the air box is made of PVC plastic so you should be able to glue a patch in with a small piece of PVC and some plumbing cement. If your OEM air box cannot be fixed, some others have fabricated a kind of air box using PVC pipe and rubber plumbing joints (in the XJ Bike files under Modifications). Easier to get on/off carbs, no change in jetting needed.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #47
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 467
I have to caution against the use of PineSol. One of the members of the XS400 forum used it in his ultrasonic cleaner and it literally dissolved the carb body. He did leave it in over night, but still... PineSol is very corrosive.

I've had good luck with a water based tub and tile cleaner that is a mild acid. It removed the corrosion, and with the help of some fine wire and poking around in passages, got my carbs working again. Others have used vinegar or lemon juice with good results.

There is a great article on carb cleaning and rebuilding here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #48
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,035
I've soaked carb bodies in Pinesol for days already with no problems and rinsed with hot water with great results. I have a 5 gal bucket under the workbench with a 50-50 mixture that I use all the time.I soak diaphrams and all.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #49
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Oddometer: 138
Yes I have had issues with pinesol in the cleaner. If it is not heated it seems fine I used it to clean a baceplate on a Holley and it did damage it.

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #50
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

I got two of the four cleaned on the carbs my next "stupid" Question is the gear box is that filled off the engine oil or does it have its own oil?
Rear end final drive it stated 80 weight oil I do not have 80 weight oil can I run 75w90 or somthing simalar, 80w90???

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #51
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Currently air tumbling my tank... the light rust that was in there is almost gone after a half hour. Some fish tank gravel and wrapped up in heavy towels with tape holding it all together. Glad I made sure the tank was clean of fuel before starting this lol

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #52
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
I got two of the four cleaned on the carbs my next "stupid" Question is the gear box is that filled off the engine oil or does it have its own oil?
Rear end final drive it stated 80 weight oil I do not have 80 weight oil can I run 75w90 or somthing simalar, 80w90???
The transmission and engine share the oil. The clutch is in there too, that's why it's important to use motorcycle specific oil. Or at least non " energy conserving" motor oil. These days energy conserving motor oil has additives that may cause the clutch to slip.

On the rear end, I suspect whatever multiple-vis gear oil you have will be fine.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #53
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,035
Don't change the oil.it's not even due it's 500 mi. service yet.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #54
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
don't change the oil.it's not even due it's 500 mi. Service yet.
lol!
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #55
MacMcMacmac
Idiots Avant!

Oddometer: 172
I've owned both a 650 Turbo and a 900 Seca.

Not a lot of hop-up parts for the XJ. Shaft drive bikes weren't really the style for the go-fast boys. You are barking up the wrong tree with pods on these bikes. Keep the airbox, and sidestep the many pitfalls. If these are Hitachi carbs, best to keep them stock. Not a lot of parts available.

Ride it for what it is, a time capsule of the first wave of Japanese tech. It's a simple, reliable bike making about 80hp. You can easily turn it into a complex, unreliable bike making 82hp.

When I bought my 900, it had been sitting from 1987 to 2000. Rejeuvination consisted of breaking the carbs free of the amber they were so thoroughly encased in, dumping the clutch while coasting down a parking garage ramp to break the motor free, then running it like rented mule for a couple of weeks before dumping the cocoa coloured oil. Then I spooned on the Pirelli Phantoms (!) I got free with the bike, changed the oil, got it inspected and registered and flogged it regularly up to its 135mph top end. Rode it for 3 years, never missed a beat or burned any oil. It was a sweet bike, I wish I still had it.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #56
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

I always have to play with stuff lol. I plan on keeping this one as a "beater" bike I did fix stock air box and am working on rerepairing the early 80s body repair on the tank. Got two of the carbs done soaking the other two yet valves adjusted new springs in it hope to light it up early next week

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #57
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder

Thanks Scrubby
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #58
scrubby81 OP
Auto Builder