Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #46
Whee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Let me check

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
Ford.com says summer 2014

My commute is 62miles to work each way through the mountains and 1.5hrs. I am getting about 10-15mpg over the best gas vehicle I could get by going diesel. I think diesel has great advantages but, it is not for everyone.

Last week they said 2015 MY (Model Year). Either way, I was hoping to get one this fall.
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #47
Whee
Adventurer

Ford Transit Delayed Until Model Year 2015

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ed-until-2015/
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #48
Whee
Adventurer

Advice

I don't think I can wait over a year for the Transit. I have been looking at my options for a one ton van for use in my contracting business that can fit in Honolulu's tight parking spaces with low headroom (I have used a GMC that is 6'8" for years & even that doesn't work in a lot of places);

Fiat Ducato/Ram Promaster available soon (taller & questionable front wheel drive performance but good MPG), Nissan NV available now (Nice features but long hood, taller, MPG), Mercedes Sprinter (Nice vans but expensive, maintenance issues, tall), GM Express/Savanna/3500, a friend works for a Honolulu Ford dealer & can get me X-plan pricing on a E-350.

MPG; I just ran some reports & I spent $1400 on fuel last year & $1300, $1200 in prior years. Much less than I though even with my fully loaded old guzzler. Most of my work is in Honolulu & I live in town.

Used vs new? I have never bought a new vehicle & would be taking out a loan or leasing it. Thoughts? I am going to post this in the other thread as well.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #49
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
I don't think I can wait over a year for the Transit. I have been looking at my options for a one ton van for use in my contracting business that can fit in Honolulu's tight parking spaces with low headroom (I have used a GMC that is 6'8" for years & even that doesn't work in a lot of places);

Fiat Ducato/Ram Promaster available soon (taller & questionable front wheel drive performance but good MPG), Nissan NV available now (Nice features but long hood, taller, MPG), Mercedes Sprinter (Nice vans but expensive, maintenance issues, tall), GM Express/Savanna/3500, a friend works for a Honolulu Ford dealer & can get me X-plan pricing on a E-350.

MPG; I just ran some reports & I spent $1400 on fuel last year & $1300, $1200 in prior years. Much less than I though even with my fully loaded old guzzler. Most of my work is in Honolulu & I live in town.

Used vs new? I have never bought a new vehicle & would be taking out a loan or leasing it. Thoughts? I am going to post this in the other thread as well.
Do you guys get CNG filling stations? Buy a used E-350 CNG Fleet truck from the mainland if you do. 10% lower MPG but $2/gal will more than offset that - also 10K oil change intervals.....
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #50
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
Do you guys get CNG filling stations? Buy a used E-350 CNG Fleet truck from the mainland if you do. 10% lower MPG but $2/gal will more than offset that - also 10K oil change intervals.....
I thought it takes twice as much CNG to go the same distance as gasoline ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #51
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I thought it takes twice as much CNG to go the same distance as gasoline ?
How much range does one need on Oahu?

Range is getting way over-hyped.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #52
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
They had the only demo in North America at Concord NC for a armored car type seminar a few weeks back, it's very roomy in the cargo area and screams type 2 ambulance me please.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #53
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
How much range does one need on Oahu?

Range is getting way over-hyped.
Its not the range as much as the fuel tank size .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #54
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,144
These are all over the place in Italy, what's taking so long for the US to make them?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #55
castroses
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Are the US cans built in the US?

All European vans are built in Turkey now. Enough said!!
castroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #56
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
Light trucks have import duty in the US. That's why the Transit Connect is imported as a passenger van, then the rear seats are ripped out for the cargo version at the port of entry.

Assuredly the Transit will be made in the US.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #57
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by castroses View Post
Are the US cans built in the US?

All European vans are built in Turkey now. Enough said!!
It's because turkey is where they send their ships and other crap to be scrapped because they are outside the EU (not for too much longer). Turkey chops the old ships up, feeds them into the furnaces and pops out cheap sheet steel for van bodies.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #58
Whee
Adventurer

Could someone please explain payload capacity regarding calling trucks & vans 1/2, 3/4 & one ton? I just checked some specs on the 2013 E150 & Chevy Savanna 1500 & the payload capacities are 3312 & 2016 pounds respectively. Both over a ton yet considered 1/2 ton vehicles?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #59
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
So I'm finally ready to get the new van. I have a choice of Red or White with the spec I want. Which one should I choose?

I thought the red initially, but the white is growing on me.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #60
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
Could someone please explain payload capacity regarding calling trucks & vans 1/2, 3/4 & one ton? I just checked some specs on the 2013 E150 & Chevy Savanna 1500 & the payload capacities are 3312 & 2016 pounds respectively. Both over a ton yet considered 1/2 ton vehicles?
For Ford vans I have never looked up the actual capacities, but the wheels, suspension and axles under our E-350's are heavier duty than what is under our F-150 pickups. That looks like the main difference to me which I assume translates to increased load handling ability.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: