Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
royalwulff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Question for dual sport riding rebels...

Have any of you ever ditched the road just to get around traffic? I'm not talking about trail riding. I'm talking about sucky traffic and there is an open field, or even a parking lot on the other side of a ditch, that's just waiting for you to take your very capable machine over to get around all those vehicles that are only made for pavement. Maybe it's private property (commercial property, not someone's yard) or maybe it belongs to the city like a grassy median. But your rebel heart just can't stay within the rules of the road any longer. So you say, "____ it, I'm going off road today!"

More specific question, have any of you got caught by the Five-O while doing so?

What kind of legal consequences might I be looking at if I finally grow a pair and follow my rebel wannabe heart?

Let's hear some stories!
royalwulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
BoldNewGraphics
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I like turtles
Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I don't recommend it...

If you're talking about crossing a ditch to get to a WalMart parking lot, no biggie I guess, but hopping median strips or riding on what may be private property isn't cool.

Stuff like that might make you a hero among the YouTube crowd but it understandably angers the greater public, which only makes it more difficult for all types of riders. Non-riders make few distinctions among dual-sporters, Harley riders, and sport-bikers. The sight of one rider doing something obnoxious usually results in a lot of negative feelings toward "bikers" in general.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
royalwulff OP
Adventurer

Yes I suppose you're right. I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective. Sometimes it's just so darn tempting.

I guess I wasn't thinking so much about hopping across the median. Let's say I want to turn right little bit ahead, and there's a big empty overgrown field to my right. I could just make a diagonal through the field and get to the road I want to be on.

But, like you said I wasn't really thinking about protecting the image of bikers in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Traveling down the I-17 during a widening project, the freeway was narrowed for quite a few miles. Stop and go traffic, mostly stop. No bueno on a bike. I need to get air moving over me as it's friggin HOT in the desert. So I find a break in the construction barriers and go through to where the new lanes are mostly graded but still dirt. A few obstacles, but for the most part I travel around 55 for the remainder of the construction zone and join back up with the freeway.

I don't think anyone was annoyed with me for it, and no police pulled me over.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
royalwulff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKnobby View Post
The sight of one rider doing something obnoxious usually results in a lot of negative feelings toward "bikers" in general.
Oh the voice of reason. Thank you for that perspective. I suppose that's why I'm only a wannabe rebel.

There's a right turn I want to make on the way home at a very long stoplight. On the corner is a huge, overgrown field. Probably private property to someone (commercial zone), but it's not in use. Weeds and shrubs everywhere. No buildings. I wouldn't want to put tire tracks in someones yard. I highly doubt that the land owner in this case would even care. How tempting it is to just cut through the field to get to the road I want to be on.

I also sometimes think about crossing a ditch to get to a service road (or to cut through several parking lots) and then crossing the ditch again to get back on my road.

Interesting, though, that I'm only tempted on the bike and not in my pickup which could also handle the task.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,371
Thumb Yes

Go for it.....you know you wanna.

I see a huge difference between taking a strategic shortcut, to hooning up a sidewalk and through a mall, and down some stairs.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 118
Yeah, c'mon. What's to go wrong?

Many years ago when I was young and impetuous, I was commuting on the trail bike in a period of public transport strikes (no trams, no trains) here in Melbourne (Aust). The traffic was just miles and miles of snail pace cars, so my lane became the grassy median strip between the service lanes and the main road! 2nd or 3rd gear along the grass, bumping over the kerbs at cross roads. Cool as.

About the same time I was stuck in a line of cars at roadworks where we were squeezed into 2 lanes while they re-built the other two lanes. But it was late in the day and all the graders and rollers were parked for the night so there was this two lane strip of gravel all for me. So off I go, ripping down the new road base at warp speed. I count it as lucky that the trail bike headlight was pretty grim, because I didn't see the 3 foot wide trench across the road and didn't back off before I hit it. If I'd slowed down, I might not have made it across. Flat spots on the wheel rims and a bit of a lesson in the perils of impetuousness.
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote