User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #61
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,106
My midlife crisis car is a 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T.

I may be midlife but I still have young children and needed a little "practical".
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #62
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,290
The Lotus is nice if you want a track day car that is street legal, but that is pretty much all it will be - I would strongly suggest you take one for a good long drive on a bumpy road before buying it, otherwise it will sit in your garage (unless you can afford to take it to the track every weekend).

The M3 is a bit larger than the others. Just a sporterized sedan/coupe. Okay if you want a daily driver that is also very capable. I like my 3 series coupe (just a very basic 325ci, not an M series), but it is larger than I need. I would suggest you look at the one series - they are now some serious competition for the 3 series.

For a mid-life crisis car my choices would be:

1) Z4 coupe.

2) Porsche Cayman with PDK transmission (like the DSG).

3) newer gen Audi TT with DSG transmission

Each of these can be had it Plain Jane to roaring hot config options.

Of the three, my first choice would be the TT even though the others are sexier. The TT with AWD and DSG would be so much fun and would probably keep me from getting in over my head. The second would be the Porsche - especially if I lived where the roads were rarely wet and I never had to deal with snow.

As it is though, I sold my Ducati and now I am going to sell the Bimmer. I sold the Ducati two years ago because I wasn't riding it after I got the dirt bike and when I was riding it I would always be doing something that I could literally lose my license over or put my in the hospital or worse - so I sold it before that happened. Dirt biking is more fun anyway and probably less risky (especially for my driver's license).

The Bimmer just isn't practical for the dirt/gravel potholed road I now live on up in the forest on a mountain. It was getting beatup and it would not get out of the driveway when it snowed, so I got a beater Toyota pickup with 4WD and now I don't cringe when I hit a deep pothole or worry about getting to work when it snows.

I really like the Bimmer though, it is a nice balance of luxury/comfort and driveability IMO.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #63
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,586
My advice for a midlife crisis car would be a Camry Solara with an extended warranty or a Volvo V70 non-turbo automatic.

If you really want to get edgy, this is a crazy idea. Red is too radical, though. I'd suggest a mild brown or neutral gray.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #64
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Million choices, your the only one who knows what floats your boat. Me, I'd be into old iron, or maybe a blown T bucket or if I felt sporty I'd be doing the Sunbeam Tiger thing.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #65
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
How about a Porsche 550 Spyder replica?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Beck 550 Spyder
OK, I'm holding alla you Shiny Thingers personally responsible.* I pulled the trigger on #201 today.

1995 build and 50 miles since a restore. ('95 is probably about the time a family friend introduced me to Beck and I caught the bug, so to speak.) I'm flying out to IN to pick it up on Wednesday.

This will be a lot easier for me to deal with in the city. Two feet shorter than the 968 for one (cheaper storage) and I'll be able to work on it myself.

*With that responsibility comes rides. Call me.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #66
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
OK, I'm holding alla you Shiny Thingers personally responsible.* I pulled the trigger on #201 today.

1995 build and 50 miles since a restore. ('95 is probably about the time a family friend introduced me to Beck and I caught the bug, so to speak.) I'm flying out to IN to pick it up on Wednesday.

This will be a lot easier for me to deal with in the city. Two feet shorter than the 968 for one (cheaper storage) and I'll be able to work on it myself.

Cool! Which engine? 22R or TDI?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #67
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Cool! Which engine? 22R or TDI?

140hp 2.0L Type I my man. Old school.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #68
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,396
Another vote for the pantera.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #69
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Another vote for the pantera.
Personally, I've always preferred the look of De Tomaso's previous model, the Mangusta, to the Pantera. Subtle differences, I know but still.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #70
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ARX View Post
I had a red one of these when I hit forty, Good fun but wow did it use some gas. Red ones are faster
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #71
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Watasnake,

If you had to save up for your toy, do you have a maintenance fund to go along with it? Having $40k to drop on a car is one thing, but having the scratch to keep it on the road is another. It would suck for you to have your dream car gathering dust because you didn't have $10k available for the unobtanium part it needs.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #72
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
If you had to save up for your toy, do you have a maintenance fund to go along with it?
An NSX was mentioned earlier and I think it'd make an outstanding choice, mid-life crisis or not. In my book they hit the sports car trifecta:

Super low maintenance that can be done at local Honda dealer for cheap.
Super low insurance rates.
Superb handling and performance...

And they're very easy to look at. Here's mine:

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #73
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

Awesome!

I've been wanting one of those since I learned about them almost 20-years ago!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #74
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I've been wanting one of those since I learned about them almost 20-years ago!
Me, too. And as much fun as I'm going to have driving and caring for it is going to pale in significance to the "mileage" I'm going to get out of taking it to PCA events.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #75
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Owned a 69 911 years back,, it was hands down just the best car I've owned,, maintenance wasn't too bad (Less than the toyota truck I owned at the same time) ,, handled great, simple,, (VW style 6 fuse fuse box...) and ya cant beat the sound of 6 webber venturies at 6500 rpm's.. The trick is to find a clean one 69 to 72 with the 2 or 2.2 liter engine..

It was a lot like driving a bike, you could feel the road in the wheel and a 1/8 turn or less to change lanes..

Cheers
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: