Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #76
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
ya cant beat the sound of 6 webber venturies at 6500 rpm's..

Cheers
Dave

Hopefully, 4 will come close.

Quote:
The trick is to find a clean one 69 to 72 with the 2 or 2.2 liter engine..
The guy I bought my Spyder from just sold a '67S for $17K. He said to me "I don't know WTF I was thinking, I'm still kicking myself." I told him I felt the same way when I sold my SC the first day for $15. I probably could have got $18-$19 in a week.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #77
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 41,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watasnake View Post
2. Caterham 7 or any of the copies (used of course)
A Caterham 7 is a copy. it's a copy of the original Lotus 7.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #78
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,204
Caterhams are a continuation of the Lotus 7, not a copy. Caterham bought the design/tooling/right to keep making them from Lotus. So they are "the real thing". Lots of the others - that are copies - are also very good cars and can be extremely quick.

SRG

Former Westfield 7 (pre-lit) owner.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #79
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
I remember when the Rotus came out. Here's a list.

http://www.red-7.nl/7world/brands.html

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #80
Watasnake OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
A Caterham 7 is a copy. it's a copy of the original Lotus 7.
And... To split hairs Icewalker, (not being a jerk here) it is a Lotus Seven. Not the #7. The number was the address where the Seven was made. I have the book.
Watasnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #81
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Certainly is unique with plenty of room for customization while still keeping the original style. I assume that is a VW 4 under there, not a Porsche?

Either way plenty of room for doing more. I assume it doesn't have disc brakes either? That would be the first thing I would do.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #82
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,346
The BRZ will get a turbo in a year or 2 but there will be a million of them. Here is what I would consider:

1. Dodge Viper
2. Lotus Exige
3. Air-cooled 911
4. NSX
5. Ferrari 308/328 if you can handle $10K a year for routine service.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #83
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
here is a link to a caterham for sale -

http://www.britishspeed.com/forum/sh...erlight-r-2005

I have basically this same car, except with different cams and slightly more HP. This car has some better shocks. It looks to be in good shape, and at 10k miles, even if thats all track miles, thats not very much and the engine is completely understressed in a car of this weight. I have orange, but I like it in black. On the superlight the nosecone, and fenders are carbon fiber, plus other little stuff. The seats are racing shells, but are surprisingly comfortable. At 40k this is a pretty good buy - it would cost about 75k to spec it out like this. If you live in California the SB100 and smog exemption is worth thousands (at least it would be to me) because that is a pain in the ass to get.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #84
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
The Lotus is nice if you want a track day car that is street legal, but that is pretty much all it will be - I would strongly suggest you take one for a good long drive on a bumpy road before buying it, otherwise it will sit in your garage (unless you can afford to take it to the track every weekend).

The M3 is a bit larger than the others. Just a sporterized sedan/coupe. Okay if you want a daily driver that is also very capable. I like my 3 series coupe (just a very basic 325ci, not an M series), but it is larger than I need. I would suggest you look at the one series - they are now some serious competition for the 3 series.

For a mid-life crisis car my choices would be:

1) Z4 coupe.

2) Porsche Cayman with PDK transmission (like the DSG).

3) newer gen Audi TT with DSG transmission

Each of these can be had it Plain Jane to roaring hot config options.

Of the three, my first choice would be the TT even though the others are sexier. The TT with AWD and DSG would be so much fun and would probably keep me from getting in over my head. The second would be the Porsche - especially if I lived where the roads were rarely wet and I never had to deal with snow.

As it is though, I sold my Ducati and now I am going to sell the Bimmer. I sold the Ducati two years ago because I wasn't riding it after I got the dirt bike and when I was riding it I would always be doing something that I could literally lose my license over or put my in the hospital or worse - so I sold it before that happened. Dirt biking is more fun anyway and probably less risky (especially for my driver's license).

The Bimmer just isn't practical for the dirt/gravel potholed road I now live on up in the forest on a mountain. It was getting beatup and it would not get out of the driveway when it snowed, so I got a beater Toyota pickup with 4WD and now I don't cringe when I hit a deep pothole or worry about getting to work when it snows.

I really like the Bimmer though, it is a nice balance of luxury/comfort and driveability IMO.

I like your 2 & 3 options... I had a 2009 TTS and its a lovely machine. Not a single problem with the car, except when having 3 kids... I gave it to my brother who is recently married without kids and got an E63 AMG.

I do love the E63 its a monster if you ask him but also is a very comfortable car as well.... The TTS is a bee! Agile, stops in a dime and accelerates nicely.

Haven't had a Porsche but it seems driveability is similar and better in some S series.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #85
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I assume that is a VW 4 under there, not a Porsche?
Yeah, it's a stroker CB 2.0L Type I. If think it actually turns out to be a 1997. When the PO said "2 liter" I was hoping it was a Type IV, but its not.
I'm toying with the idea of putting the 1835 dragster motor I bought for my Meyers Manx in it, but there's a lot of expensive logistics in the way of that. (Engines in Utah, car will be in NYC.). I may just pilfer the just-rebuilt Dellortos and the MSD ignition off of it though. I'm probably going to part it out now anyway, unless my neighbor buys it when I go home next month.
Quote:
I assume it doesn't have disc brakes either? That would be the first thing I would do.
The problem is AFAIK no one makes discs for wide five wheels. To my eye, the 4X100 wheels scream "Kit Car". And as much as I love Fuchs, I don't want to go that route. If figure if drums could stop my 1800lb bugs, they will stop this 1200lb car fine

OTOH, if a set of Alfin drums like the originals somehow turned up...

Edit:
OTOH

The first mods I intend to do are front and rear sway bars and new bilsteins all around.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:14 AM
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #86
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,688
I don't have a problem with the 4x100 wheels....they are used on a TON of different cars, My Opel race car had the rain tires mounted on E30 wheels and it worked just fine....When I hopped the track in my MR2 and bent a rim I was able to swap out the MR2 rims with the opel rims....all on 4x100. I am going to convert my rail to that size...I have so many darn tires mounted on that pattern it is not funny in sizes all the way down to 13"
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #87
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

I was just looking at the CB website and noticed that they do have discs in wide 5, and the mounting surface looks like the visible surface of the original Alfins. May have to put that on the back burner.

Enough of a hijack, though. I'm going to start my own 550 thread when the dust settles.

(but you're right. 4X100 wheels are great. That's why I used them on my Manx. Had a custom pair of 8"-er rears made for less than a single alloy wheel. I just don't want them for this car.)

Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #88
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 228
i saw a morgan 3 wheeler on thursday. it looks pretty cool. but i dont think for me it would be useful enough to justify the price. i would rather ride a bike and save 30 grand.

for a small fun car i would think about the atom.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #89
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
An NSX was mentioned earlier and I think it'd make an outstanding choice, mid-life crisis or not. In my book they hit the sports car trifecta:

Super low maintenance that can be done at local Honda dealer for cheap.
Super low insurance rates.
Superb handling and performance...

And they're very easy to look at. Here's mine:

not after a couple of those!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #90
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirocz View Post
i saw a morgan 3 wheeler on thursday. it looks pretty cool. but i dont think for me it would be useful enough to justify the price. i would rather ride a bike and save 30 grand.

for a small fun car i would think about the atom.
Useful?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: