Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Love the Mefo rear and currently running the TKC up front. TKC hooks up nice but sidewall is just too soft for me. I think I will switch to the Hiedi's. I used the Mefo up front on the KLR before and wasn't too happy so I think I will skip it on the 990.

Just still hunting for that perfect front....the Mefo will stay on back - no doubt.
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Mefo

Mefo rear with 8000 miles on it. 70/30 street/dirt. Its a bit chewed up but it's been a darn good tire
'06 950 adv
superhak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Wink Another Opinion

I get 10,000+ per rear (150/80) Mefo Super Explorer- just keep the pressure from 36 to 42psi and they'll last- as per manufacturer.

Mefo fronts cup/wear funny (quickly), thin in the sidewall

TKC is good for offroad/mud but squares off fast on pavement (um, I corner hard & use my front brakes, a lot). Yeah, you can work around it most of the time but when panic stops are needed on pavement you're going to hate it- nevermind in the wet. They used to be cheap, but now they are premium priced. Not Recommended

Heidenau K60 Scout front is the ticket- great in the wet, strong tire/sidewalls, pretty good grip in mud (compared to all but say a D606) and you can fly on dry pavement

I have 2 (used) Pirellis Scorpion AT's in the tire rack, good rain tire for a lightweight dualsport but totally useless in the mud. Thin carcass as well. Think, "how to make your KLR handle on the street" but crap otherwise

As for D908RR's, they cost $$$ now and don't last. I'd go for a paddle tire for (dedicated) sand use, or go for a Terex. 1,000~2,500miles for a knobbed 908 is just silly unless you a)live in the desert or b)are buying it for a race/rally- it's WAY more important that the front tire sticks than the rear, sand is all about spinning the rear & keeping the front in-line anyway.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #34
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
MEFO SE rear and TKC80 up front make a great reasonably long lasting 50/50 setup.
INTERESTING..
I started at CO/UT trip on my KTM 640 on the 10th with a TKC 80 combo with 300 miles on them. By the third day the rear looked at least half worn, and we had 7 days of riding (about 200 per day) to go. There was no way I was making it back to the start with that rear. Considering the complete lack of service available in Utah, on the fourth day I got a new Mefo Super Explorer in 140/80-18 in Moab. I wanted to wait a few days to put it on when the TKC was really worn, but the shop was closing for a couple weeks the next day. I thought about draggin it along and changing ourselves, but when he only wanted $30 to change it, I went ahead and had it done.

After 1200+ miles the Mefo seems to be barely showing any wear, and the combo with the front TKC worked perfectly fine for me.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Just watch that TKC up front, it's soft and it's easy to ping your rim. By the way, anybody got a spare front rim?
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyspuds View Post
Love the Mefo rear and currently running the TKC up front. TKC hooks up nice but sidewall is just too soft for me. I think I will switch to the Hiedi's. I used the Mefo up front on the KLR before and wasn't too happy so I think I will skip it on the 990.

Just still hunting for that perfect front....the Mefo will stay on back - no doubt.
+1

It's annoying that the 19" TKC has so much stiffer a sidewall than the 21".

I love the K60 rear but on front . . . Karoo2 with Tubliss until I put a Karoo3 on. 10,000miles on K60, 6500 on Karoo2.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,389
I'm really happy with the scorpion Rally in the front. It's definitely not a street tire but works better than you'd expect, and in the sand and rocks and nasties is far better than the TKC80, or stock scorpion.

I've been very happy with this front in combo with the MEFO in the rear. Note that I have a slightly narrower front rim from woody's. With the MEFO I just pulled off I was running the 150 on the stock rear wheel but now I'm running a narrower rear as well, currently with a 908RR on it.

Current plan for ongoing use is the Rally in the front and the 140 MEFO or K60 rear.

My use is truly 50/50, or maybe 60% dirt, so if you just wanna rail the twisties, this may not be the best front for you.

For dirt ONLY, in order of preference from my experience:

Scorpion Rally
T63
TKC 80
Stock Scorpion

For paved twisties ONLY, in order of preference from my experience:

Stock Scorp
TKC80 - this tire does really surprisingly well on the pavement
Scorpion Rally-ya wanna let this one wear in a little before you just toss it in...

T63....distantly. Did NOT like this tire in the twisties.

FWIW

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #38
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I love the Mefo on the rear and I am also running the Pirreli rally on the front. The TKC is too soft and will allow your front rim to take a beating. How in the world are you guys getting so many miles out of your back tires? I have never gotten more than 4500 miles. Riding style differences I am sure
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #39
Chipper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Awwwaqaawwawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwzz. . 1
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #40
KTMDAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Installed a set this week chasing my sport bike friends around not the right tires.
Weird front end vibration as well.
KTMDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #41
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN roads View Post
How in the world are you guys getting so many miles out of your back tires? I have never gotten more than 4500 miles. Riding style differences I am sure

Me either? Must not be having any fun?

I only got 3500 wide eyed grinning miles from my Mefo SE.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
Beema Killa OP
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
I only get 900k out of a 908. My 6k mefo is kept at high pressure. Makes a huge difference. You gotta be on your game though, it wants to break loose a lot! Holds up on 1st through 3rd gear wheelies great too! I ride my bike like I stole it and there are a lot of road commuting miles on that tire (many on just the back wheel) and I can get 6k no problem.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote