ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
navipro OP
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 6
Eek G650GS vs ...... used G650GS

Hi gang,
I have already one post going, but wanted to make more specific one.
So here it is. I have a choice of 2013 G650GS for 12100 with 3 year warranty and 2011 G650GS with 1 year of warranth left for 9200. The 2011 has 13000km on it as well as some extra accessories (hand guards, taller winshield, engine guards). It will need a new tire in about 5000km.
I am not going to be putting a lot of km's on it, but I am not sure if 13000km is a lot for a single banger or not. Also do you think it is worth extra 3000 bucks to go the |new| route? Opinions?
navipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
kid_A
who dat ninja
 
kid_A's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: b-town, ma
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by navipro View Post
Hi gang,
I have already one post going, but wanted to make more specific one.
So here it is. I have a choice of 2013 G650GS for 12100 with 3 year warranty and 2011 G650GS with 1 year of warranth left for 9200. The 2011 has 13000km on it as well as some extra accessories (hand guards, taller winshield, engine guards). It will need a new tire in about 5000km.
I am not going to be putting a lot of km's on it, but I am not sure if 13000km is a lot for a single banger or not. Also do you think it is worth extra 3000 bucks to go the |new| route? Opinions?
Let me get this straight...you're asking if 800 miles is "a lot" for a used bike?
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
navipro OP
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
Let me get this straight...you're asking if 800 miles is "a lot" for a used bike?
Hmmm, where did you get 800? Used one has 13000 km (9000 miles).
If it was 800 i would be asking where to sign :)
navipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,277
BMW 650 single? If it had 113k miles it might be high mileage.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
kid_A
who dat ninja
 
kid_A's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: b-town, ma
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by navipro View Post
Hmmm, where did you get 800? Used one has 13000 km (9000 miles).
If it was 800 i would be asking where to sign :)
Ha, I need to learn how to count zeros apparently. Still, for a BMW single, 9k might as well be 800, thing is just getting broken in. MF's are bulletproof. BUYYYYYYYYYYYY it.
__________________
BMW XCountry
G650 Gelände Straße (sold)
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
That is VERY low mileage for an F650GS or G650GS. I sold my old Dakar with almost 38,000 for $5000 back in 2009
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,834
We bought my wife's 2006 F650GS (single) with 15k miles on it a couple years ago and I was happy to find one with that low of miles. It now has like 30k on it and all we've had to do other than routine maintenance is the steering head bearing (common issue), but that's been it.

9k miles (15k kilometers) is nothing on that bike.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Sight
Adventurer
 
Sight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Oddometer: 59
I just picked up a 2011 with under 5k on it for $6100.00, he through in his Rallye 2 pro jacket and a new helmet.
Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
navipro OP
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 6
Sounds good :)
It looks like additional 2 years of warranty for 1500 bucks is not worth it :)
I think I can rebuild the engine and tranny for that.
navipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by navipro View Post
Sounds good :)
It looks like additional 2 years of warranty for 1500 bucks is not worth it :)
I think I can rebuild the engine and tranny for that.
I doubt you would ever have to.... ever.... engine failure is rare. Tranny failure... rare... water pump issues do happen from time to time. Not too hard to fix.
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 658
I bought my '09 used with 90 miles on it! The guy decided he didn't need it and I certainly did. Smoking deal too.

The 12k mile service is expensive so see if you can haggle down the price to cover that, about $500. I'd go with the used one and spend the money saved on gas and tires!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I bought my '09 used with 90 miles on it! The guy decided he didn't need it and I certainly did. Smoking deal too.

The 12k mile service is expensive so see if you can haggle down the price to cover that, about $500. I'd go with the used one and spend the money saved on gas and tires!
HUh?... not really. The 12k mi service = oil change + valve check + flush & fill other things on the annual maint. list.

The oil change is easy - check out the FAQ section over on www.f650.com it will walk you through it

Annual flush & fill - same thing not hard to do on the F650GS

Valve check is a bit more technical but doable if you take your time. Done it before.... That said my local BMW shop (Sierra BMW) will do a valve check for a pretty small fee. The check is maybe $125-150. If all is in spec then good to go. If they need changing it is another $150+ for the extra work. For $150 to check it I'll pay a BMW mechanic to take care of it and do the rest of the annual/6,000 maintenance myself .
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 658
while my bike was under warranty I was reluctant to work on it myself thinking that they could void the warranty. Now that it's over I'll be doing more of it for sure.
Still not sure I want to tackle the valve check or the brake fluid because with ABS I'm pretty sure you need a special tool to completely bleed the brake line.

Since this is my first real bike, other than dirt bikes as a kid, I stayed on the side of caution. That price on valve check from Sierra is a deal.
I think the price of service can vary greatly depending on dealer and area.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
while my bike was under warranty I was reluctant to work on it myself thinking that they could void the warranty. Now that it's over I'll be doing more of it for sure.
Still not sure I want to tackle the valve check or the brake fluid because with ABS I'm pretty sure you need a special tool to completely bleed the brake line.

Since this is my first real bike, other than dirt bikes as a kid, I stayed on the side of caution. That price on valve check from Sierra is a deal.
I think the price of service can vary greatly depending on dealer and area.
Dealers always try to bundle services into the regular maint. Like check and fill coolant, oil change, bleed brakes, etc. If you add all that in it takes time and you get a $500 bill. If you ask for just the ala carte valve check it should only take an hour or two tops for a mechanic. Maybe I had the price wrong?

Anyway, there is NO WAY doing your own maintenance can voice a warranty. As long as you record it and say you followed the manual you are all good.

For my dollar I'll tend to pay someone else to do the valve check and do all the basic maintenance myself. Bleeding brakes for ABS is no different from regular except that you have more spaces for air to get to.... don't think there are any special tools required. I'd have to check over at the FAQ on F650.com
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 658
yeah I'm learning. I think it also comes down to your comfort level.
When I first started riding I was focused more on that. Now I'm more comfortable working on the bike and will keep doing more myself.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014