Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Road Weazel OP
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 221
Bonded Titles in AZ (or elsewhere)?? Other Options??

As many bikes as the Weazel goes through it's surprising that I've never had to get a Bonded Title before. (Well, there's the DRZ in the garage that I never started the process on but...)
A dear friend of mine unexpectedly passed away this week and his father has asked me to take care of the sale of his two bikes. One's an '06 and the other's an '07.
Both bikes seem to have title issues and both bikes are kinda rough, so they're not worth a fortune.
One of them he stopped paying on a little while back so there's a lien on the title. The lienholder knows where the bike was but never came for it.
The other one apparently has an issue with the 'Witness Signature' on the back (AZ titles must be notarized for the sale) but is supposed to have been paid for in full.
Would a bonded title work in this case, or are there other options?
ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Weazel
'01 BMW R11000RTP FOR SALE!
'99 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
Road Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
DavisWelding
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Sorry for the lose of your friend.

How much is "not a fortune?" Is it out of the question to just sell them as parts bikes? I have never had to get a bonded title before but I hear is is a huge pain in the butt and not too cheap neither. It they bikes are not worth much, it might not be worth the time or money. What kind of bikes are they?
DavisWelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Road Weazel OP
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisWelding View Post
Sorry for the lose of your friend.

How much is "not a fortune?" Is it out of the question to just sell them as parts bikes? I have never had to get a bonded title before but I hear is is a huge pain in the butt and not too cheap neither. It they bikes are not worth much, it might not be worth the time or money. What kind of bikes are they?
Thanx,
The idea of making them 'Parts Bikes' has crossed my mind but I already have a 1200 sq/ft garage that I can't walk through, and his bikes aren't even in there yet.
I've got a VTX1800 and a FZ1. The VTX was crashed but is ridable. The FZ is rough and probably has 40-50K miles on it now.
I'll keep all of my options open.
Thanx again...
Weazel
'01 BMW R11000RTP FOR SALE!
'99 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
Road Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
up here we have an "abandoned vehicle" process. for an individual, you send a certified letter to the registered owner. when/if it comes back undelivered... take that unopened to DMV & they check if it is stolen .... if OK, they write a title on the spot. our rules are the vehicle must have been abandoned on your property for at least 6 months. the lien holders rights would have to be addressed one way or another.

wrecking yards usually have a similar process & charge a fee
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 640
i vote for parts bikes

the bank will have to release the lien on the one
the other I don't know what the deal is
I have tried the abandoned title and certified returned letter in AZ and they wanted a bond that was worth more than the trailer so i never plated

if the bikes were in good shape it would be worth it but then again the disposition may be up the the courts unless it was in a will ?
good luck and RIP to your Friend
ZEmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
DavisWelding
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Weazel View Post
Thanx,
The idea of making them 'Parts Bikes' has crossed my mind but I already have a 1200 sq/ft garage that I can't walk through, and his bikes aren't even in there yet.
I've got a VTX1800 and a FZ1. The VTX was crashed but is ridable. The FZ is rough and probably has 40-50K miles on it now.
I'll keep all of my options open.
Thanx again...
Weazel

You don't have to "part" them as in selling each part. Sell them whole but for parts only. Give them buyer a bill of sale when they pick it up. As mentioned, if they were worth more money then you can justify spending the time and money needed to get a proper title. I'd list them up on craigslist of the FM here and see what comes of it. Good luck!
DavisWelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 239
Try going to a couple different 3rd party mvd places and see what they say.....
Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If they aren't worth much, they aren't worth a bonded title. It costs about $200-$300 per vehicle, and is a three year process before you get a clear title. Not many people want to buy a bike with a bonded title. If one title has a lien on it, you will have to take care of that first. I would not do a bill of sale. They can come back on you for selling stolen property. A bill of sale states that the bikes are yours. I sold 2 dirt bikes dirt cheap, I had no titles, and no way to prove they were mine, so I wasn't going to give the buyer a bill of sale.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 577
I've done bonded titles..

...in Az a few times. It can be a slow process, but months, not years. I think the last one I did probably cost me about $150, for the bond and the certified letters that had to be written. On the plus side, the DMV was very helpful in explaining and monitoring the process. Once you get the title, I don't think it shows that it's a bonded title at all.

roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
In Texas there is this myth that a 'bill of sale" is as good as a title. NOT!

If a LEO wants to find out he can run the vin and give you an answer. No leans or reported stolen then you can go to the title office and apply for one. That will cost, from what I have been told, 200-300$.

It seems around here that every other dirt bike/ATV is "missing"the title. Kinda questionable for a OHV, for a street vehicle I would not even touch it.

Also tampered with vin, is a misdemeanor in Texas, so hopefully stolen stuff should be rare.

Just a thought.
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
cantupshift
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBnite View Post
In Texas there is this myth that a 'bill of sale" is as good as a title. NOT!

If a LEO wants to find out he can run the vin and give you an answer. No leans or reported stolen then you can go to the title office and apply for one. That will cost, from what I have been told, 200-300$.

It seems around here that every other dirt bike/ATV is "missing"the title. Kinda questionable for a OHV, for a street vehicle I would not even touch it.

Also tampered with vin, is a misdemeanor in Texas, so hopefully stolen stuff should be rare.

Just a thought.
TN here. Heard if you got a notarized bill of sale would take care it except for the lien.

You can do VT bill of sale, get a registration and then register it in your home state later. VT doesn't do titles on vehicles over a certain age.

Not sure what to do about the lien. not sure how to check online for that either.

There is a stolen VIN database you can search for 10 bikes a day for free.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote