User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
jasonc32amg OP
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 133
Broke my wing cherry on an F6B

While I was having my Tenere being serviced at Central Florida Powersports I had the opportunity to test out a black F6B. Here's the offending vehicle:

I've never ridden a Goldwing before and have been evolving in my opinion of them. I used to simply dismiss them as too car-like and a bike for old fogies. Over the past few years I've become more and more interested in them but have never actually ridden one. I've been riding since I was 6 and when I transitioned to streetbikes at 16 all my time has been spent on crotch rockets except for early encounters with a v65 magna and an h2 750. Now in my early forties I have the aforementioned Tenere and a GSXR 1k.

Back to the F6B. I've thought this thing was stunning since it was first unveiled. When the sales manager offered me the demo I jumped at the chance. The weather was frigid for Florida in the 50's. As I pulled out of the dealership the first thing I was struck by was the velvety motor. It reminded me of my wife's old Boxster. It sounded sweet with plenty of power. The next impression was the comfort. Everything felt in place and a little more welcoming than I recalled from sitting on the standard model. The heated grips were toasty overkill but I'm sure folks appreciate them up north. The music was a new experience for me and I thought that was pretty cool but over 50mph I couldn't here it. A taller windscreen would be a first mod on this bike.

I headed to a vacant parking lot and spent some time familiarizing myself with the low speed handling and controls and everything felt great. At no point did I feel like I was shuffling an 800lb beast around.

After the parking lot I headed out on various back roads for @ 30 miles. The suspension was very tight, the braking was fine, and overall handling was impressive. I kept being impressed by the motor. The sound, the power, the smoothness, and overall character appealed to me.

I'm smitten with the bike and my ride has me seriously considering a wing in my future. I plan on taking a standard model out to compare. I've read that the F6B is much more "alive" than the standard model but you also give up quite a few features and storage. I don't see the lack of a reverse as a big deal. The lack of a trunk could be a problem though.

Anyway, just a few thought from a wing newbie. I'm very impressed with the bike and came away with a great amount of respect for the bike. In my eyes this thing has all the cool factor of any bagger with Honda quality and a scrumptious motor.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
kballowe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
You get (standard) heated grips and independant heated seats on a base Gold Wing, plus true electronic cruise control and (of course) reverse. These (standard) features are lacking on the F6B.

Yes, we have a Super Tenere, and also a 2010 Gold Wing - and a few others. The Wing is my Wife's bike. I'm simply the pilot. It's the bike that makes all of the rest... possible.

I've sat on a couple of those F6B bikes but never test driven one. Basically same engine/transmission/frame and everything else ('cept a trunk and electronics) as your common, ordinary, garden variety Gold Wing GL1800.
kballowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,007
They handle quite well... this is not me btw

My wing was amazing in the cones- this is not me, a well ridden wing is amazing to see. The traxxion suspension upgrades change the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MlK5VPZ84
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Hehe, a sound near and dear - grinding the crash bars while cornering. They do dance well with an experienced hand on the bars.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
kellydax
fiddler

Oddometer: 2
hi Im a first timer on this site and trying to find my way around .Ididnt want to look in and not say any thing ,i thought that might seem rude i just bought my first new bike today and i cant wait to pick it up on tuesday.Its a 900 kaw classic .i havent driven since i was a teenager.

kellydax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
My wing was amazing in the cones- this is not me, a well ridden wing is amazing to see. The traxxion suspension upgrades change the bike.

I thought it would be a video of Yellow Wolf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg View Post
While I was having my Tenere being serviced at Central Florida Powersports I had the opportunity to test out a black F6B. Here's the offending vehicle:

I've never ridden a Goldwing before and have been evolving in my opinion of them. I used to simply dismiss them as too car-like and a bike for old fogies. Over the past few years I've become more and more interested in them but have never actually ridden one. I've been riding since I was 6 and when I transitioned to streetbikes at 16 all my time has been spent on crotch rockets except for early encounters with a v65 magna and an h2 750. Now in my early forties I have the aforementioned Tenere and a GSXR 1k.

Back to the F6B. I've thought this thing was stunning since it was first unveiled. When the sales manager offered me the demo I jumped at the chance. The weather was frigid for Florida in the 50's. As I pulled out of the dealership the first thing I was struck by was the velvety motor. It reminded me of my wife's old Boxster. It sounded sweet with plenty of power. The next impression was the comfort. Everything felt in place and a little more welcoming than I recalled from sitting on the standard model. The heated grips were toasty overkill but I'm sure folks appreciate them up north. The music was a new experience for me and I thought that was pretty cool but over 50mph I couldn't here it. A taller windscreen would be a first mod on this bike.

I headed to a vacant parking lot and spent some time familiarizing myself with the low speed handling and controls and everything felt great. At no point did I feel like I was shuffling an 800lb beast around.

After the parking lot I headed out on various back roads for @ 30 miles. The suspension was very tight, the braking was fine, and overall handling was impressive. I kept being impressed by the motor. The sound, the power, the smoothness, and overall character appealed to me.

I'm smitten with the bike and my ride has me seriously considering a wing in my future. I plan on taking a standard model out to compare. I've read that the F6B is much more "alive" than the standard model but you also give up quite a few features and storage. I don't see the lack of a reverse as a big deal. The lack of a trunk could be a problem though.

Anyway, just a few thought from a wing newbie. I'm very impressed with the bike and came away with a great amount of respect for the bike. In my eyes this thing has all the cool factor of any bagger with Honda quality and a scrumptious motor.
I test rode a basic F6B today, and had the same impressions that you did. The motor is amazing, and smooth as silk. I examined the plastics on it closely, including the side panniers. The set up was very nice, however it seemed that the plastics were "thinner", and did not feel as heavy or thick as the plastics on my ST1100. I guess it's a weight saving measure. The fit and finish on the F6B was typical Honda excellent.

I just can't handle 20K for a motorcycle. It is a very nice motorcycle.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45

glynb screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 04:04 PM
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
jasonc32amg OP
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynb View Post
I test rode a basic F6B today, and had the same impressions that you did. The motor is amazing, and smooth as silk. I examined the plastics on it closely, including the side panniers. The set up was very nice, however it seemed that the plastics were "thinner", and did not feel as heavy or thick as the plastics on my ST1100. I guess it's a weight saving measure. The fit and finish on the F6B was typical Honda excellent.

I just can't handle 20K for a motorcycle. I is a very nice motorcycle.
I'm going to hold out and see if they discount them like they usually do for the other versions.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
It's an awesome and sweet machine.
Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

I think if you take it home, you could probably count on it being a bike that does 20+ years and tons of miles with you.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,346
Longtime sportbike guy myself, had a GL1800 for a few years alongside my RSV Mille and CB1100XX when the wife wanted something a little more comfortable than the XX.

My buddies used to chuckle a bit when I showed up on rides with it....but soon grew to respect it as a bike that can be ridden quite quickly by someone who's got a few miles under their belt.

All I can say about the F6B is -- it's about time Honda!
That's a great platform for a bike that would appeal to folks besides the touring crowd.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
It's an awesome and sweet machine.
Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

I think if you take it home, you could probably count on it being a bike that does 20+ years and tons of miles with you.

I went to buy one and went with a discounted regular 2012 'wing instead. They were so close in price and I got features that I really, really need.

I'm on pace for 70,000 miles for my first year with the Goldwing, I'm hoping for 7 years and 500,000 miles.

I still want the bagger, maybe in a year or so?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post

+1 on Traxxion. Turned my saggy '01 into one of those light-footed hippo ballerinas from Fantasia.

I think I'm missing the point of the F6B, though. Seems to me the two most popular aftermarket add-ons will be a trunk and a taller windscreen...at which point why not just go ahead and get a GL18?

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
I think I'm missing the point of the F6B, though. Seems to me the two most popular aftermarket add-ons will be a trunk and a taller windscreen...at which point why not just go ahead and get a GL18?

Seat height is lower and further back on the F6B, makes for a roomier cockpit. I'm about to cut the screen down on my wing, it ain't that great.

I do like the trunk and all the other creature comforts, but for the average rider at less than 12,000 miles per year the bagger is a pretty good choice.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
I think it's a bit unfortunate they removed the reverse gear but kept the sound system. I would prefer it the other way around: get rid of the sound system because it must add a few pounds (and I don't want it in any case), but keep the reverse gear because this is still a heavy, heavy beast and it might seem fine at first but I'd bet you'll miss the reverse the first time you have to park it on any kind of slope!
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I went to buy one and went with a discounted regular 2012 'wing instead. They were so close in price and I got features that I really, really need.

I'm on pace for 70,000 miles for my first year with the Goldwing, I'm hoping for 7 years and 500,000 miles.

I still want the bagger, maybe in a year or so?
Awesome.

I think for a guy who commutes, the F'er is a great bike. Of course the 'wing is the road trip king.