Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
No sport bikes for me thanks (oh the pain, the pain) I recently sold a 1500 Goldwing ( to big for my needs, and burned to much gas), but if I had the money to buy an FB6, and put gas in it, I would probably get it. The missing "features" are actually a good thing to me. The 1500 was loaded with tons of completely worthless gadgetry, some of which failed on mine, including the cruise control. If you are going to ride two up, the regular Goldwing is THE way to go. For a solo rider, the FB6 looks like a much better deal. You still get that smooth, reliable, 300,000 mile engine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
I've tried to love Wings over the years but ever since they sprouted an abundance of Tupperware in the 80's, it never felt quite right. Then when the 1500 became the1800, the rider seating area seemed to become even tighter for me (6'2"). What I find surprising about the F6B is how much more comfortable it is, much more like a F6C than a Wing. I know it's has a different seat but having tried set-back seats on Wings before, this feels like more than that. I've also never been a fan of dragging a top-box around when it's only needed occasionally. For that, I did rather use a seat bag or a removable unit. Given that its essentially the same bike it's remarkable to me how different it looks and feels. I've not had a chance to ride one yet but I'm looking forward to doing so. This is a bike that I think will get more people into the franchise & deservedly so.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,209
Got a test ride scheduled for this afternoon. I'm currently on a DL650 and just ready for something different.

I had a 97 Valkyrie Tourer, and I have always regretted selling that bike.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
I think I'm missing the point of the F6B, though. Seems to me the two most popular aftermarket add-ons will be a trunk and a taller windscreen...at which point why not just go ahead and get a GL18?
Look at some of the other comments from other posters:

I think for a guy who commutes, the F'er is a great bike

I recently sold a 1500 Goldwing ( to big for my needs, and burned to much gas), but if I had the money to buy an FB6,

Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

All I can say about the F6B is -- it's about time Honda!
That's a great platform for a bike that would appeal to folks besides the touring crowd.

For very little development money Honda hopes to capture a new market for an aging platform.

Besides, next year's "update" might possibly include a trunk and reverse

I checked one out at the dealer last week. Looked fine, but it's still a huge machine- so no desire to take it out for a ride.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Look at some of the other comments from other posters:

I think for a guy who commutes, the F'er is a great bike

I recently sold a 1500 Goldwing ( to big for my needs, and burned to much gas), but if I had the money to buy an FB6,

Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

All I can say about the F6B is -- it's about time Honda!
That's a great platform for a bike that would appeal to folks besides the touring crowd.

For very little development money Honda hopes to capture a new market for an aging platform.

Besides, next year's "update" might possibly include a trunk and reverse

I checked one out at the dealer last week. Looked fine, but it's still a huge machine- so no desire to take it out for a ride.
Valid points, every one--for those posters. Me? Not so much. I own a GL1800, and while it's a great bike for touring, for just about everything else it's too big, too heavy, too...everything. The F6B deletes the trunk's luggage capacity, and the wind protection provided by the taller screen, and the reverse gear, the things that go a long way toward making the GL a tourer. Without them, the F6B impresses me as just a really big and heavy streetbike/cruiser/stripped bagger. That doesn't do the trick for me.

Not a criticism of anyone who likes it, mind you, just my impression of the bike WRT my preferences.

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,209
Holy Crap!! If you get an opportunity to test ride one do it. You may not like it for the things it is or isn't, but damn the fat girl can boogie!!

I've completely changed my mind on the ABS and Cruise. I really want one now.

Anyone looking for a DL650 tastefully farkled?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Wannaklr -

I'd love to hear a detailed ride report if you get time. I love the looks/idea of that bike. I've sat on both a black and a red one now, but still haven't ridden one.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,183
I was in my local dealer today kicking tires....they had a couple of F6B's on the floor. Took a long sit, and the thing looked very familiar after having owned a GL1800 for a few years - but I did notice the additional room in the seating position.
I put in several 1k mile days on the Wing, this looked like another nice place to spend some long days - though wind management might be an issue.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
jasonc32amg OP
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I was in my local dealer today kicking tires....they had a couple of F6B's on the floor. Took a long sit, and the thing looked very familiar after having owned a GL1800 for a few years - but I did notice the additional room in the seating position.
I put in several 1k mile days on the Wing, this looked like another nice place to spend some long days - though wind management might be an issue.
They've already got a tall screen option for it.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
I've completely changed my mind on the ABS and Cruise. I really want one now.

The one and only thing that could have gotten me to buy the 6 over the wing is the cruise control or at least having it as an accessory. 95% of the time I don't need the trunk space and I hate windshields.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
The one and only thing that could have gotten me to buy the 6 over the wing is the cruise control or at least having it as an accessory. 95% of the time I don't need the trunk space and I hate windshields.
I'm just talking hypothetically, because I'm nowhere near in the market, but having never owned a bike with cruise, I could get by with a throttle lock and never think another thing about it. The ABS thing is puzzling. Yeah, price point and all that, but most modern bikes are equipped with it these days, and an over-gadgeted, almost-900-pound interstate ship just screams for it.

I know opinions are mixed and strongly-held on ABS, but I'll never own another bike without it.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
I'm just talking hypothetically, because I'm nowhere near in the market, but having never owned a bike with cruise, I could get by with a throttle lock and never think another thing about it. The ABS thing is puzzling. Yeah, price point and all that, but most modern bikes are equipped with it these days, and an over-gadgeted, almost-900-pound interstate ship just screams for it.

I know opinions are mixed and strongly-held on ABS, but I'll never own another bike without it.

Now that I've had real cruise control where speed is held up and down hills, I have no idea how I ever lived without it. My life is soooo much better and the mpg's are better when the speed is held constant.

ABS? You can have it. I took it off my GS. It bugs me on the wing, I like to hold rear brake when taking off from an extreme uphill stop and the pedal goes soft with weight pushing backwards against the brake application. Very unnerving on a 900 pound bike. I'd much prefer non-linked, non-ABS brakes. The only thing ABS gets me is a reduced insurance rate.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 973
Quote:

I've had throttle locks, and I've had cruise, and cruise is better.

A TL maintains a set throttle opening, but doesn't compensate for changes in gradient, wind, and other factors that would otherwise cause you to open or close the throttle to maintain your speed.

CC maintains a set speed, and does whatever it needs to do to keep you there, including opening or closing the throttle.

A TL is okay if all you want to do is set it just long enough to wipe a bug off your face shield, or shake some feeling back into your throttle hand. For every other situation, CC kicks ass.

I'm with you on the ABS. Whatever weight it adds is insignificant compared to the vast bulk of the Wing. I haven't needed it yet, but who knows about tomorrow?

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
I've had throttle locks, and I've had cruise, and cruise is better.

Absolutely - there's no doubt in my mind about that. I only meant that the lack of cruise wouldn't stop me from buying the F6B. Lack of ABS definitely would.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Absolutely - there's no doubt in my mind about that. I only meant that the lack of cruise wouldn't stop me from buying the F6B. Lack of ABS definitely would.
Now that I've had a cruise control, I'd never buy a mid-sized or larger bike without it. It's that good.

ABS I totally like, appreciate, and respect...but I it's not a deal breaker. I rode for a long time without it. However, I just don't get Honda's thinking on this at all.

Can you imagine selling a car without ABS and Cruise control? This thing costs more than a Ford Fusion/Honda Civic..etc. Crazy.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote