ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #46
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I think the 478 won't work with USB 3, but don't quote me on that.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #47
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Have you been able to download a route from the Venue to a Garmin GPS? I have a cable that converts mini to micro USB but when I use that to connect my Garmin 478 to the Venue, the tablet doesn't detect the 478. I'm ASS U Ming that the cable is not configured correctly and I'll have to use some kind of USB hub.
With my Iconia W3 I'm using a OTG cable: micro USB male to female USB A. The cable that came with my 78, mini USB to USB A male, plugs into that, as into any USB port on a desktop/laptop. I haven't made any routes etc but Basecamp accessed and displayed the map which is only on the chip in the 78 just fine, could also display all the tracks on GPS.
Great fun typing this with the bluetooth keyboard (4" wide), much easier than the on-screen

250senuf screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 09:40 PM
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #48
Skizzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
With my Iconia W3 I'm using a OTG cable: micro USB male to female USB A.
Me too :)
And my Oregon 450 works perfectly :)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #49
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I think the 478 won't work with USB 3, but don't quote me on that.
When I ordered the Venue Pro, the Dell stats said the micro usb port was usb 2 which was one of the reasons I went with it

edit: I just double checked Dell's website and they said it's Micro-AB USB2.0
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217

jonz screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 12:09 PM
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #50
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
With my Iconia W3 I'm using a OTG cable: micro USB male to female USB A. The cable that came with my 78, mini USB to USB A male, plugs into that, as into any USB port on a desktop/laptop. I haven't made any routes etc but Basecamp accessed and displayed the map which is only on the chip in the 78 just fine, could also display all the tracks on GPS.
Great fun typing this with the bluetooth keyboard (4" wide), much easier than the on-screen
Thanks for that info. I just ordered an OTG cable mini USB to to USB 2 female. Hopefully that works. Neither Radio Shack nor Best Buy stocked one and that's about it for that kind of stuff around here.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #51
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Bought too soon?

Just came across this Windows 8.1 8" tablet from Toshiba, the Encore:
http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailp...?id=2147498142 (link to Toshiba Canada site)

What caught my eye was that it has GPS. No idea if Mapsource/Basecamp could access that GPS but if so, that would be quite useful.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #52
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Just came across this Windows 8.1 8" tablet from Toshiba, the Encore:
http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailp...?id=2147498142 (link to Toshiba Canada site)

What caught my eye was that it has GPS. No idea if Mapsource/Basecamp could access that GPS but if so, that would be quite useful.
If anyone has this device, please share more information. Looks interesting.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #53
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,409
About the windows 8 tablet with GPS:

Maybe you guys have already been around the block in terms of what would be advantages and disadvantages for using such a device.

People have been using android based tablets, because there are many android-based applications with great navigation features, such as Osmand. The tablet becomes the "GPS" itself.

A windows 8 tablet would have the possibility of running mapsource/basecamp, which are applications for planning routes and tracks for Garmin devices. But the tablet depends on the Garmin device to guide you.

For me, either option would work. I already have a garmin device (Oregon), and would use such a windows tablet to plan my routes on the go. Without the need of wi-fi for example.

But could also use an android tablet to be the GPS itself.

However, it is too large and bulk, and there are a few required work arounds that do not interest me (such as can not use it with gloves).

And there is the Monterra. But that is expensive and it also requires workarounds.

But a windows 8 tablet, with GPS brings an interesting scenario.
- I could use it to plan my navigation, like I do now using Mapsource from my PC and upload routes into my Oregon.
- I could use the windows tablet to be the GPS itself, as a back up. Or when stopped to plan alternate routes on the go. How? With Blue Stacks, which allows you to use android applications on Windows 8 machines, including tablets.

That's all in theory. of course. I realize I'm surrounded here with people who are much smarter than me, and with great knowledge on these devices, who could blow me out of the water.

So let's hear your takes on advantages for having such a machine. Does Blue stack really work, for example?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 03:00 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #54
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 939
My Win 8 tablet has Microsoft Streets and Trips installed. It came with a USB GPS. I can plan routes and run the routes in the tablet, nothing else needed.

But, it is a larger 10 inch tablet, and while I really like MS Streets and Trips for planning routes, it sort of sucks for running them. So I always export the route info to CoPilot on my phone and run it from there.

You can also put an app on your Android that will turn you phone into a Bluetooth peripheral for the PC. Your Android will show up as a serial port on the PC and it will stream NMEA data.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #55
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

worwig, can you use the keyboard of your Android phone as a keyboard for the tablet via bluetooth? My Blackberry phone would do that if my tablet was the Blackberry Playbook but no go with my Win 8 Acer Iconia.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #56
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
worwig, can you use the keyboard of your Android phone as a keyboard for the tablet via bluetooth? My Blackberry phone would do that if my tablet was the Blackberry Playbook but no go with my Win 8 Acer Iconia.
I have no reasons to do or try that. My phone has a tiny on screen keyboard, and my tablet has a detachable real keyboard.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #57
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I had an Acer Aspire One, that I carried on the moto. I was able to manipulate Mapsource & S&T's, view the maps, plan & download routes & tracks to my GPS. I could also access the web via wifi. Of the units being discussed on this thread, which one should I get to replace it? Considering size, weight & battery life.

Thanks for accommodating my ignorance......
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #58
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I just ordered an OTG cable mini USB to to USB 2 female. Hopefully that works. Neither Radio Shack nor Best Buy stocked one and that's about it for that kind of stuff around here.
I got the cable and the tablet sees my Gamin 478

I loaded both Mapsource and Basecamp onto my tablet. I've used Mapsource for a long time and have never used Basecamp before. Just from my initial playing around, Basecamp seems to work MUCH better with Windows 8.1 on the tablet when using the touch screen. I was able to view all the waypoints, track logs, and routes I had in my GPS. Now onto loading maps and trying some routing.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #59
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
I got the cable and the tablet sees my Gamin 478

I loaded both Mapsource and Basecamp onto my tablet. I've used Mapsource for a long time and have never used Basecamp before. Just from my initial playing around, Basecamp seems to work MUCH better with Windows 8.1 on the tablet when using the touch screen. I was able to view all the waypoints, track logs, and routes I had in my GPS. Now onto loading maps and trying some routing.
So much for the maps. After a couple emails back and forth with Garmin support with no luck getting maps to download, I had to call. The wait wasn't bad - probably 10 minutes. However, the answer wasn't what I wanted. I have City Navigator 2010 in my 478 that was updated via download. Garmin only archives old programs for 3 years (I was told) so is no longer available. I have to buy the latest update - I'm going to wait for the dvd in the mail if that is still an option.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #60
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Doesn't Basecamp see the maps on the GPS when it's hooked up to the tablet?

250senuf screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 02:44 PM Reason: oopsie
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote