User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
First ADV ride with my new Yamaha WR250R

I finally got some decent seat time on my 2013 Yamaha WR250R this weekend. I picked this bike up as a Christmas present to myself, but until yesterday, I’d only been able to accumulate a total of 100 miles. All winter, the only thing that held me over was reading adventure type ride reports from other members. I only had a couple of hours of daylight after getting my weekend chores done yesterday, but it was just enough time for a great ride. I live in a pretty rural part of northern PA, so I didn’t need to go far to get off the beaten path. Here’s my new bike:

I explored a dirt road up a mountain overlook with a 300’ cliff that goes down to the Susquehanna River. The road was too rough and narrow (in a few spots) for most passenger vehicles, but that made for some awesome riding. The only other vehicles I saw once I left pavement were a few kids on ATV’s. The natural gas companies in this area have recently constructed some pretty nice roads through the woods which led up to the overlook:

Hidden lake I found on top of the mountain:

I live on a 3 mile long dirt road and there are literally hundreds of miles of similar dirt roads, many of which I’ve never explored. I checked out a few “No Winter Maintenance” type roads today. We had historic flooding in this area in late 2011, many of the dirt roads and bridges have not been repaired.

After several miles up and down a mountainous trail, I came to the end of the road:

There’s a spot in the creek where I might have been able to cross and continue, but it was starting to get dark and this crossing spot was pretty iffy to begin with. I’m excited to get back there and try to get across with some more daylight.

My ride report pales in comparison to some of the posts I’ve read here, but I figured I’d do what I can to help some inmates out who are in colder climates waiting for spring to break.

matt33 screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 07:52 AM
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,432
Nice. I would have thought you still had snow, at least in the shady woods.

When you get to the other side, getting back will be easy. Somebody already built a sweet jump.

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

When you get to the other side, getting back will be easy. Somebody already built a sweet jump.

I was thinking the exact thing! But we'll give you a break since you've only got a bit over 100 miles of experience on the bike. I bought a WR250R two weeks ago and have been able to put a whopping 22 miles on it so far, I feel your pain. I'm hoping the rain stops long enough today so I can get out and lower the bike a bit, try that out. The guy I bought it from was 7 inches taller than me so I'm on tippy toes, don't like that for riding rough stuff.

Nice report, beautiful country! That bike should be perfect!

Doug
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

There actually was a bit of snow and a fair amount of ice in the shady areas down along the creek. I'll be happy when it's all gone.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Good to see someone out and moving around. Thanks for taking the time to post up a good local adventure.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Congrats on the new bike. Way to get out and ride! And nice post. Keep it coming.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
niiice. Lots of good support from other WR250R riders around these parts. Please don't waste any time getting the flatland radiator guard if you're going to hit some serious trails.

What's your front tire, a scorpion pro FIM?
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
niiice. Lots of good support from other WR250R riders around these parts. Please don't waste any time getting the flatland radiator guard if you're going to hit some serious trails.

What's your front tire, a scorpion pro FIM?
F/R tires are both Pirelli Scorpion Pro's with balancing beads in the tubes. I really like these tires, but I'm sure the rear will wear quickly. I may keep this front and try a D606 rear next.

How critical is the radiator guard? I see a lot of people with them, but I just figured they were to shield from roost. It sounds like a rad guard might be an essential add-on that I'm overlooking. On a semi-related note, I did just install a Moose skid plate. Once I was able to get it mounted, I was pretty impressed with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
On my WRR I'm running the scorpion pro FIM on the front and a pirelli MT-43 on the rear, which is a trials hybrid. I've had great success in all types of terrain, both here in PA and out west where I rode in the rockies (found out that they call 'em that for a reason) and in low and high desert. MT-43 is also great on the road and I recommend looking into it down the line. I've found the scorpion pro perfect for all off road conditions including mud but but it's kinda iffy on the street. That said I'm in love with that tire - haven't seen a washout since I put it on. You'll be thrilled with it too I'm sure of it.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of the radiator guard. Basically the radiator is horribly exposed to even low speed crashes and the flatland guard protects it from getting crushed. My first ride, first crash, the bike goes down on the radiator side at <5mph and the rad gets a bad dent... I got lucky with no leak but now I'm spreading the sermon. Radiators are faaar more expensive than the guard. If you're planning on crashing the bike on its right side at least once you'll be glad you have this mod.

You were smart to get the skid plate. Mine has saved me money and aggravation already. If you're getting a lot of reflecting noise you can put bicycle inner tubes or cut grips over the frame rail and/or spray truck bed liner on the inside of the plate. I did both Let me know if you want to know about any other WRR mods as I've done most of the common ones.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote