User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
dirtkiwi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wombat De-stress

First RR thought I would share a bit of my local loop. I usually sneak away on a Sunday morning for a little R & R. Wombat state Forest / Lederberg is about 32 km away from my front gate so perfect for a 40/60 trail ride.

Early morning start, get out before any Kids are awake......... down to the Calder service centre for a coffee, read the news, wait for the sun to come up. Try to time my trail riding so I get there after the wildlife has woken up, but early enough so I can finish before the hangover brigade unload into the forest....

Fill up, quick coffee, off to Gisborne, down to the turn off at Carrolls Lane.

First trail No. 1 Firebreak, lots of erosion humps to bounce off, couple of climbs to warm up on, then down a bit of steep to the Campese river, although its a bit of a rock bed with a puddle in the middle. Steep rocky downhill, never looks as steep in a photo....

Up the climb, a couple of k of rocky snotty ruts, and at the top, rocky trail until the turn off. Sharp stuff, enough to give the bashplate a workout. It was a bit wet this morning, so this stuff is quite slippery. Few Skippys running around here, a couple of decent mobs to look out for.

Since I did the suspension upgrade on this bike, its become some much easier to ride on these kinds of trails. After a bit of playing around I ended up with Ricor Indimators in the front, set up with some heavier springs and a secret air gap , and a Ricor shock on the back, set up by Procycle (arrived, fitted it, perfect!!). I can ride these kinds of trails at the top of third gear, bottom of fourth, on 15-44 gearing, and just steer the bike around, small jumps not an issue, but then my old bones aren't up to big air anymore!!. This is the best mod I have made to this bike, by far, it becomes a reasonably capable trail bike, still a bit heavy on the brakes, but this morning I sat behind a 300 2T pretty comfortably while he rung the neck of it, and ended up firing himself into the scrub......

Anyway, bit of fireroad action, then a short loop through "OBrian's Link track" (where I met my mate on his KTM).

Bit more fireroad and down to the turn off at "XL track". Heaps of people camping in Wombat this weekend, none of them awake when I cruise past. I understand camping, what I dont understand is "drive me Commodore into the bush, drink JD's and Coke until I pass out, then leave a fuggin great mess everywhere". The amount of rubbish at some of the campsites is really wrong.

XL track climbs up a pretty smooth climb for a couple of km, hard on it in third gear, try and avoid the wallaby that lives up near the top, and seems to have a death wish, then down to the crossing of whatever muddy little stream this is....

Back up to the top, short blast along a fire road or two, down to Andersons Mill track, via a secret single track loop

The four wheelers have been in here, just past the old mill site, and its pretty cut up, but chicken lines round most of it, the last thing I want is to dig the bike out on my own.

Theres a turnoff here somewhere into some single track, quick stop to consult the GPS.

Oh thats right, first left after "Brendans Tree"

Out of the wet single track, onto "Lloyds Track" (which is pretty much a sealed road, someone has been through here with some gravel at some point), and then a little bit more single trail until I arrive back at Carrolls lane carpark.

60 km loop in the bush, and its only nine am. Back into Gisborne, time for a fill up.

And a quick cruise back down the Calder, trying not to get bowled by the cage drivers sending text's to each other, home in 25 minutes.
dirtkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
great ride report mate !!!! ..... I thought I was your only mate with a ktm ?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Dee Cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Laugh The Wombat

Yes, I live on the other side of the Wombat and am quite often in around Spargo Ck area. I have yet to venture over your side as we tend to not like getting tangled up with some of the people that venture in from the big smoke and man don't they leave some shit lying around. I have even put out large camp fires that have been left in full burn mode.

Having said all that, I would like to see the other side in around the Lerderderg Gorge area.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Great to see a well set-up DR getting out there. With a couple of decent suspension mods, tyres and uncorking, they are great true adventure machines. Have you considered a Keihin pumper carb yet?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
dirtkiwi OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Great to see a well set-up DR getting out there. With a couple of decent suspension mods, tyres and uncorking, they are great true adventure machines. Have you considered a Keihin pumper carb yet?
Thanks Dan, it has a TM40 on it, and opened up airbox etc...... Massive difference in throttle response, maybe a bit more power than stock?, but so much more responsive off the bottom. I always go back to the fact that these things were good solid Safari bikes with the right mods, before advent of watercooling and valve checks every 5 hours. Once the thing has 10 thou on it, there is a 790 kit on the horizon......
Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Hey either of you guys have the chance to get to Wombat weekdays? I'm north of the forest but have been in from most directions. I also try to avoid the weekends there. Last trip found two 4WDs rolled in separate incidents.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
dirtkiwi OP
Adventurer

Hi Dan,

I can get out for the odd weekday, it just takes a little bit of organising. Could set something up for one day next week maybe Wed / Thurs if the weathers right..... would be good to have a look round a different part of the park