User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Squirreling around

I have really enjoyed following a few inmates day tripping reports so I figured I would finally start my own. Not to mention that I am sure my Facebook friends are sick of seeing me always posting pictures of my travels. I started my picture collecting of my travels a few weeks ago when I grabbed the USAtor Nutsy. Yeah chasing tags for me is a blast!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

So after grabbing the UsaTor Nut at Grayson Highlands State Park near Mt Rogers, Virginia.
Here is. Nutsy sitting on my Helmet

If you have never been to Grayson Highlands, you should. Awesome hiking and backpacking.
Here are a few shots from there on a recent trip

There are wild ponies

And Free range cattle

Any way enough about that.
So, after picking up Nutsy we traveled down to the BRP and home to King, NC....hence the avatar name.
So, I figured I would take Nutsy to West Virginia. I travel up to Sandyville, WV to stay at the old home place and check in on my Dad in Law.
While we waited to head out to Ohio, Nutsy and I helped a Scout from my kids troop out on his Eagle Scout project and we also went hiking up Hanging Rock.

Hanging Rock

So we pack up and begin our trek

Well on the way up I usually travel rt52 to the WV border then run a bunch of different back roads, this time I went to rt 16 to rt 19 to rt 60. I took this route so I could grab the WVtor in Ansted, WV. On my way the unthinkable happens. All goes quiet. I coast into Hawks Nest state park to diagnose the issue.
Here is Nutsy helping out

The issue...well about 30k miles ago the ignition switch went out and I had to do some Caucasian engineering and replaced the ignition key switch with a toggle switch at the local auto part store. Guess I should have fixed it correctly but..... Anyway I find the guys of the toggle switch came apart. So I hot wired it until I could get a new toggle switch to make it home.
Here are is some shots of Hawks Nest

And down the river aways is Kanawaha Falls

If you Nutsy on the fender right. Well, guess what I forgot after the picture, I did not realize for about 20 miles... Got back to find him laying in the dirt

I grabbed the WV tag

Lucky for me it was closed.

KingJarhead screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 04:52 AM
KingJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I replaced the toggle switch with the another just like it until I replace with OEM part in say 25k miles.
So I figured I would take Nutsy over to Ohio to a place call Buckeye Furnace but first I had to drop the WV tag. I chose Ravenswood, WV at a place called Washington Western land park and museum. Ravenswood is sited on land once owned by George Washington. Washington acquired the 2,448-acre parcel in 1770, and designated Colonel William Crawford to survey the lands in 1771. A permanent settlement was first established in 1810, and the town streets and lots were laid out in their current pattern by descendants of George Washington in 1835.

So off to Ohio.
Across this bridge

Then I arrive here but I must say Rt 124. Holy cow what s great ride. Sweet sweepers and some real peg scrapers.

Some more history
BUCKEYE FURNACE COMPLEX

Hidden within the hills of southeastern Ohio is the reconstructed restored charcoal iron furnace.

This is just one of the sixty-nine such furnaces that dotted the land in what was the Hanging Rock Iron Region.Iron production ceased in 1916. Today, Buckeye Furnace, located in Jackson County, east of Buckeye Furnace (part of the Jackson Historical Society) is one of only a few reconstructed furnace operations in the United States.

Operated by the Friends - The stone stack was all that remained on the land donated in the 1930s by the Frank Morrow family of nearby Wellston. It is owned by the Ohio Historical Society. The Furnace complex was reconstructed in the early 1970s as a memorial to the charcoal iron industry once centered in southeastern Ohio and northern Kentucky.

So, I needed to head back to NC but my camera was accidentally left on and battery died. So that concludes my time with the Nut

KingJarhead screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 04:53 AM
KingJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Dad in Law's health is starting to fail him. He and I have always been pretty close. I guess it is the bond we have formed from being in the military. He is a 25 year retired First Sgt from the Army and I am a Marine Corps Veteran. We have always teased each other about our respective branches, fun times. In the 1990s, I was deployed numerous times, when I went overseas my wife moved home to WV to help save us some money. Whenever I would come back, he would take me to the VFW club and the two of us would talk and he would give me advice about how to deal with war. See, he is a 3 war veteran, WWII, Korea and VietNam. He has seen a lot in his time, great stories and great advice over the years. Although I am not sure if he really know my name, he has called me Bup since the day I asked for his permission to marry his daughter.
Every chance I get I go visit, so this past weekend was no exception. I lately have been more into stopping and taking some out of the way rides. Plus I watch the Tor games. This last trip I managed to grab the WVtor and the WV courthouse tag. I really enjoy riding WV. Our plan is to move to the old home place in 4 yrs when the kid graduates high school.
The ride up I took Rt 16 to Rt 33 into Ripley then Rt 21 to Sandyville area. Well it rained and poured all the way up so I did not take any photos. But I will say that Rt 16 along the Gaully river is worth the ride.
So I go play tag and here are some photos. The tag was the first governor of WV resting place. A cemetery in Parkersburg, WV.
Arthur Inghram Boreman (July 24, 1823 April 19, 1896)
Boreman was born in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. At the age of four, his family relocated to Middlebourne, Tyler County, which was then part of Virginia. He served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1855 to 1861. In 1861 he presided over the Second Wheeling Convention, which established the Restored Government of Virginia as a step toward the establishment of a separate State of West Virginia. He served as governor of West Virginia from 1863 to 1869 and U.S. Senator from 1869 to 1875. On November 30, 1864, he married Laurane Tanner Bullock, widow of a Union soldier.[1]
Boreman Hall, a dormitory on the campus of West Virginia University is named after him. In addition, Arthur I. Boreman Elementary School is named in his honor in the Tyler County town of Middlebourne, and formerly two elementary schools in the Kanawha County town of Cross Lanes and the outlying Parkersburg area in Wood County was named in his honor as well.

I then proceed to ride down RT 14 to Rt7 back to Sandyville. Here are some shots along the way.

On the way back to NC I stop and grab some photos of Jackson County, WV courthouse for the tag game. History of it and Ripley
Jackson County is a county located in the U.S. state of West Virginia. As of 2010, the population was 29,211. Its county seat is Ripley[1] and its largest municipality is Ravenswood. Jackson County was formed in 1831 from parts of Kanawha, Wood, and Mason Counties, and named for Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States
Ripley was originally owned and settled by William, John, and Lewis Rodgers. They received a grant of 400 acres (1.6 km2) in 1768 where "Sycamore Creek joins Big Mill Creek" (the current site of Ripley). The land was later sold to Jacob (and Ann) Starcher, most probably in 1803. Jacob Starcher erected a grist mill in 1824 and laid out the town in 1830, naming it in honor of Harry Ripley, a young minister who was to be married, but drowned in Big Mill Creek, about one and a half miles north of the town, shortly before the ceremony took place.[7][8]
When Jackson County was formed in 1831, the residents of the county could not decide where to locate the county seat. The people who lived along the Ohio River near the Ravenswood settlement favored that location. The people who lived farther inland objected. The Virginia General Assembly appointed an independent commission to make the final decision which selected Ripley. In 1832, the Starchers donated 8 acres (32,000 m2) of land to the county, 2 acres (8,100 m2) for the location of the county courthouse and jail, and six for the general use of the new county (a public school and a cemetery were later located on the land). The town was chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in 1832.[7][8]
During the Civil War, Ripley remained under control of the Union except for a brief incursion by Confederate General Albert G. Jenkins in September 1862.
The last public hanging in West Virginia took place in Ripley in 1897, when John Morgan was hanged for murder; the spectacle prompted the West Virginia Legislature to ban public executions soon after.[9][10]
In 1990, the Ravenswood Aluminum Corporation locked out its 1,700 workers, most living in Ravenswood, at least a third had lived in Ripley at the time. The workers went on strike and eventually were let back in 1993.[citation needed]
In 2008, former president Bill Clinton gave a speech at the fire station on behalf of his wife Hillary Clinton during her campaign for the Democratic nomination for President.

So I stop in Madison, WV to make the grab of its Courthouse.

Then continue down Rt85. Let me say, I took no pictures because I rode this winding twisting road for over an hour at 75 mph and never came across another vehicle.
Then over to Welch, WV ... I wanted to see the Courthouse where Sid Hatfield was gunned di=own on its steps. More on Sid Hatfield
Hatfield was born in Blackberry, Pike Co., Kentucky, the tenth of twelve children (of whom nine survived infancy) of Jacob Hatfield (c. 1843/45 - 1923), a tenant farmer, and his wife Rebecca Crabtree (b. circa 1856). His grandfather, Jeremiah Hatfield, was a half-brother to Valentine Hatfield (1789 - 1867), grandfather of William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield, leader of the Hatfield family involved in the famous Hatfield-McCoy Feud (see Hatfield Family Tree) According to the 1900 Census, two older brothers, Orison and Hereford, an older sister Chloe, and a younger sister and brother, Martha Alice and Freeland, were then still living at home with him and their parents. His eldest sister Vandalia or Vandella was already married by this time, and an older brother, Melvin, had left home.
As a child, Hatfield worked on his father's farm. He became a miner in his teens, and then worked as a blacksmith for several years. He received his nickname, "Smilin' Sid", because of the gold caps on several of his upper teeth. He seems to have had a reputation for hard living and fighting, and his appointment in 1919 to the post of Police Chief of Matewan, by the mayor, Cabell Cornelis Testerman (1882-1920), surprised some of the more 'respectable' townsfolk.[3] However, he was a staunch supporter of the United Mine Workers of America, as was Testerman: together, they were instrumental in leading the mining community's resistance to the Baldwin-Felts operatives. Operatives offered both men substantial bribes to allow them to station machine guns in the town. Hatfield and Testerman refused. The Battle of Matewan was precipitated by the Baldwin-Felts agents' attempts to evict the families of unionized miners.
On 2 June 1920, in Huntington, he married Jessie Lee Maynard (1894-1976), the widowed second wife of Testerman, who had been mortally wounded in the battle. The speed of the marriage led to an attempt at arrest and accusations by Thomas Felts and the Baldwin-Felts spy, Charles Everett Lively, that he, not Albert Felts, had shot the Mayor because of his desire for Jessie. However, according to Jessie, her first husband, aware of the danger of their situation, had asked that his friend take care of her and their young son, Jackson (1915-2001), should he be killed.[4]
The battle had given Hatfield a degree of celebrity. He appeared in a short film, Smilin' Sid, for the United Mine Workers (UMWA), and was photographed with other UMWA activists, including Mary Harris 'Mother' Jones. However, he was aware that his life was in danger from Felts, who sought vengeance for his brothers Albert and Lee. He was indicted on murder charges stemming from the Matewan shootout but was later acquitted by the jury. He was sent to stand trial with his friend and deputy, Edward Chambers, on conspiracy charges for another incident, in Welch, West Virginia. Both men arrived in Welch on 1 August 1921, unarmed and accompanied by their wives. Several Baldwin-Felts men shot them on the McDowell County Courthouse steps. Hit in the arm, and three or four times in the chest, Hatfield died instantly.[5] Chambers was shot several more times, as his wife tried to defend him, and finished off with a bullet in the head by Charles Everett Lively.[6] None of the Baldwin-Felts detectives was ever convicted of Hatfield's assassination: they claimed they had acted "in self-defense".
There was an outpouring of grief for the fallen local heroes at the funeral, which was attended by at least 3,000 people, and conducted with full honours from the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Redmen (he was a member of all of these organisations). It was one of the more immediate causes of outrage that led to the Battle of Blair Mountain

And here is some more shots along the way to Bluefield, WV. then on to home which was something I ride regular and not too interesting, next trip I will take some photos.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
GOOD STUFF THERE! thanks for taking the time to show us your rides. i look forward to more.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Great report going here Your Majesty! I like the way you are including the history with all this. Good stuff!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks KiteSurfer !!!

Hey Aaarrff... Thanks for reading/looking in
Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

UPS delivered my new tire today...

Something just ain't quite right.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
UPS delivered my new tire today...

Something just ain't quite right.
I think they sent you something to fix that ignition switch with. I enjoyed your trip too. I called the mail pouch number to help my dog quit chewing but they hung up on me.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Wooden, I need to fix that switch but you know what they say... A mechanics car is always broke, a painters house needs a coat...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since I am heading out on a family vacation tomorrow I figured I would leave work early and go for a ride. I looked at the tag games in the area. The Virginia TOR was in Wirtz, Va , the RAT (Roanoke Area Tag) mascot also in Wirtz and the Mid Atlantic Orange in Floyd .
I planned my route out, 245 mile loop.
I first stopped by the Reynolds Homestead which I planned on using for the VAtor if would be able to make the grab.

Pretty cool place
In a hurry to make the VAtor. I come across this huge cross

Continuing on to the tag at Hales Ford Academy
The Hales Ford Academy living history program was designed as an aid for students in Franklin County schools studying Franklin County and Virginia history to help them develop an awareness of Virginia history, historical preservation, and the state of public education in Franklin County in the late Nineteenth Century.

A quick 7.7 mile jump over to grab the RAT on Alean Rd

A cool old looking building

Now of to grab the Orange. Located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway

I unite the Orange and the RAT

The BRP is slow moving with RVs and Pirates

I cut down towards NC and Drop the rat at the border.

Now off to drop of the Orange
Feeling like a hero, he told me to find him a hiding place of a true patriot. So we headed to this location

Home of Colonel Jack Martin's rock house.
Somewhere along the way John became known as "Jack" and that is the name some remember him by today. Before the Rock House was completed, John went to war from the old Surry County courthouse in Old Richmond as a Lieutenant in Captain Joseph Henry Smith’s company, and served with Rutherford against the Indians in 1776. He fought for several years against the Indians as well as the Tories in the western part of North Carolina. He served under Captains Smith, Minor, Phillips, and Robert Hill. He also served under Colonels William Cleveland, Shepard, and James Martin and frequently rode with Major Joseph Winston.
John Martin was a member of the party that rescued Cleveland when the Tories, under Riddle, captured him at Old Fields. Later the party captured Riddle along with his son and another Tory. He fought with Colonel William Davidson to rout a band of loyalists under Colonel Bryan when they joined the British at Colson’s mill.
In 1781 when the Tories had their headquarters in a cave known as Tories Den, on the north side of the Sauratown mountains just south of the Rock House, John Martin, along with Joseph Cloud, Joshua Cox, and others under the command of Major Winston, attacked and killed all but one of the Tories. Timers say over a 100 Tories were killed.
Stories say the Tories attacked and raided the rock house looking for food. Supposedly the Tories also kidnapped one of Martins daughters. A sentry on patrol around the house one night spotted a campfire. The sighting led to Martin locating the Tories Den.
Here is the view looking towards Tories Den

In 1784 he married Nancy Shipp and reared ten children. His marriage encouraged him to finish the house, ca 1785, which he had begun years before as a young man.
The Rock House was four stories, including the basement and attic; had walls three feet thick; and a fireplace in the basement big enough "to roast an ox." The outside of the house was covered with white stucco and could be seen for miles around.

During the war years the Rock House was used as a fort against the indians and Tories as well as the headquarters and a rallying point for the militia. You can still see the gun ports built into the walls. Captain John Martin earned the reputation of being a brave and couragous man. He did much to eliminate the Tory influence.

After hearing the story of Colonel Jack Martin it was decided that this was a worthy hiding spot
Old 07-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

I saw many of these signs all over the Stuart, Va area

Have no idea of the meaning.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Nice report King. Some health issues have kept me from riding this summer so it's nice to see others getting out there. As close as some of those tags are I'm left thinking, "would of, could of".
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
KingJarhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Tastroman!
Sorry to hear about your health issues!
Thanks for taking your time to visit my babbling.
Hope to see you at the next meet and greet
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,761
Ravenswood

Ravenswood sounded familiar. I took a trip there out of school to interview with Kaiser Aluminum when they owned the plant. I'd have been making carbon electrodes. Decided to stay closer to home. At the time it looked like Kaiser was going to shed Ravenswood and concentrate on plants in Canada and Africa. Cheap hydroelectric power.

Like the Buell.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote