User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
BCKRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
The SMIDSY maneuver revisited

For newcomers to the term, SMIDSY is an acronym for Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You. The idea is, that in certain curcumstances, you can make yourself more visible to other motorists who might not notice you or accurately judge your distance or speed by making non-dramatic swerves within your lane. The lateral movement captures peoples attention: "is that guy drunk, crazy, going to crash into me?" "Maybe I shouldn't pull out in front of him!" Most important, they noticed you as a possible threat.

(Someone will shortly provide the 7 minute video which I did not, alas, re-watch.) I'm new enough to this idea that I am not a regular practitioner of it.

My questions for the believers: WHEN do you use the SMIDSY swerve and when do you NOT use it?

I can think of three obvious places where it is a good strategy; all rural roads, which is what I mostly ride:
1. Possible hidden cars which could pass toward you in your lane.
2. People at stop signs or driveways waiting to cross the highway you are on or make a turn into your path.
3. People who could make a left turn from the oncoming lane.

Your further comments?
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Oddometer: 243
I do this at any intersection with a person waiting to turn if I'm not confident that they have seen me.
Not just for people turning left either, people waiting to turn right onto the road can be just as bad.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
The SMIDSY avoidance technique is not intended to elicit a "What the ****!" response from drivers. The weave is to overcome the inherent tendency of the human brain to ignore an object that does not appear to move relative to the background and therefore get the other road user to actually see you at all. The idea is just to trick their brain into knowing that you are there, NOT attracting their attention to you so they ignore all the other things they are supposed to be paying attention to while they drive.

I tend to follow the advice to see if the background is moving relative to the other vehicle. If it is not, then the driver will be expereincing the same effect - at that point, I make a move in my lane to put some laternal motion into the other driver's view of me.

Simply weaving whenever you approach an intersection is going to confuse people and possibly get you pulled over for a sobriety check.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,795
I always thougth it was "Sorry ma'am, I'm done. Sandwich? Yes!"

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,915
And like Hi-Viz gear, conspicuity lighting and headlight modulators, the SMIDSY maneuver does not make you invincible. All it does is stack the deck in your favor and make the odds a little bit better. It's just one tool of many that should be used.

Stay alert and situationally aware at all times.

--Bill
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,924
4. I use it in fog/rain/snow, so the cager coming up behind me at 80MPH on bald tires and with bad wipers has no trouble seeing my bright taillight.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
For newcomers to the term, SMIDSY is an acronym for Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You. The idea is, that in certain curcumstances, EVERY curcumstance you can make yourself more visible to other motorists who might not notice you or accurately judge your distance or speed by making non-dramatic swerves within your lane. The lateral movement captures peoples attention:

My questions for the believers: WHEN do you use the SMIDSY swerve and when do you NOT use it?
Any time you want to be visible to the brains of the other road users.

The often parroted myth of "it's not IF but WHEN" is actually true to ANY rider that rides straight down the road expecting other road users to take note of his/her presence.

When I roll off the throttle... I Flash the brake light and weave to help alert those behind me that I am slowing.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 02:00 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I do the weaving (smidsy) maneuver a lot.

There are many reasons; Makes us more visible for sure, practicing it regularly will make it more likely we can do it if needed, keeps the tires from squaring off,

and last but not least, doing it when someone starts following you too close will sometimes make the driver behind you think yer drunk and some of them will back off... seriously, try it you'll be surprised.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
4. I use it in fog/rain/snow, so the cager coming up behind me at 80MPH on bald tires and with bad wipers has no trouble seeing my bright taillight.
in heavy rain i also use both turn signals at the same time. they work like e-flashers. one of harleys better ideas!
i have used a full both arm wave from my side to over my head a couple of times when it looked like a left turner wasn't going to stop!
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
I use it on a pretty regular basis, but not in such an erratic way that it looks like a drunken maneuver. Just a bit of a weave as I approach an intersection or if I notice a car waiting to pull out of a driveway. In addition to the weave, I also cover my brakes and often begin to brake until I am confident the person poses no threat to me.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I tend to follow the advice to see if the background is moving relative to the other vehicle. If it is not, then the driver will be expereincing the same effect - at that point, I make a move in my lane to put some laternal motion into the other driver's view of me.
The car's background may be appearing to move relative to the vehicle but your background to him may not be if it is much further away, relatively. If they are very close to a line of trees or something then there will be much movement to your eye, but then if your backdrop is a mountain 500 miles away then wouldn't you appear to be moving much slower relative to the background to them?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
doing it when someone starts following you too close will sometimes make the driver behind you think yer drunk and some of them will back off... seriously, try it
Yep. This has worked for me. They back way off. Of course, don't concentrate on the swerve and the mirrors and fail to look where you're going once in a while.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
BCKRider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
The SMIDSY avoidance technique is not intended to elicit a "What the ****!" response from drivers. The weave is to overcome the inherent tendency of the human brain to ignore an object that does not appear to move relative to the background and therefore get the other road user to actually see you at all. The idea is just to trick their brain into knowing that you are there, NOT attracting their attention to you so they ignore all the other things they are supposed to be paying attention to while they drive.

Simply weaving whenever you approach an intersection is going to confuse people and possibly get you pulled over for a sobriety check.
Well put. I overstated in the OP.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
BCKRider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
And like Hi-Viz gear, conspicuity lighting and headlight modulators, the SMIDSY maneuver does not make you invincible. All it does is stack the deck in your favor and make the odds a little bit better. It's just one tool of many that should be used.

Stay alert and situationally aware at all times.

--Bill
I don a white helmet, a "brighter" jacket, and have conspicuity lighting both front and rear. (Personal preference; no headlight modulator.) I agree that nothing, or any combination of "things," makes you invincible.

My ONLY disagreement with your post is that all of the above with appropriate SMIDSY swerves GREATLY decreases the chances of having to take emergency action. And for riders at all skill levels, that is a good thing.

I COMPLETELY agree with your last sentence.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #15
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
The car's background may be appearing to move relative to the vehicle but your background to him may not be if it is much further away, relatively. If they are very close to a line of trees or something then there will be much movement to your eye, but then if your backdrop is a mountain 500 miles away then wouldn't you appear to be moving much slower relative to the background to them?
If you are coming directly at a stationary car, neither you nor the car driver will see the other moving much relative to the background. Looking for the cars apparent movement is just a clue to you about what they might be perceiving (or not)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote