I do it constantly ATSATT
Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
I do it constantly ATSATT
It's how people in Florida use the sides of their tires.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Sometimes I do it differently. Go straight at the car I'm wondering about when I'm far enough away I don't care yet if he sees me or not. Closer in go across my lane away from the car, which gives a bigger relative motion for him to see. A lot of times you can see their eyes change as they see you.

In any case the swerving is not the only thing I'm doing to not get hit in an intersection, it's just one of many tools in the box.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,119
I tend to do it most often when I'm approaching an intersection while following a car. It's mainly to make sure I'm visible to people in the intersection turning left or right, across or into my lane.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
Fluklowskli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
What I'll do a lot of times when I'm nearing an intersection with left-turners waiting to cross my path, is start at the left of the lane, and as I'm getting nearer, move right, so that in addition to lateral movement I'm maximizing the distance and the time we both have to avoid colliding.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
4. I use it in fog/rain/snow, so the cager coming up behind me at 80MPH on bald tires and with bad wipers has no trouble seeing my bright taillight.
You get snow in Florida?
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #23
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Sometimes I do it differently. Go straight at the car I'm wondering about when I'm far enough away I don't care yet if he sees me or not. Closer in go across my lane away from the car, which gives a bigger relative motion for him to see. A lot of times you can see their eyes change as they see you.

In any case the swerving is not the only thing I'm doing to not get hit in an intersection, it's just one of many tools in the box.
Just my $0.02 on apparent eye contact... I have found it to be a very unreliable indicator and some of the closest calls I have had involved drivers who appeared to react to me and then bolted into my path anyway. I frankly think they did see me, but the human brain is a very unreliable piece of hardware and from time to time will just burp out a completely inappropriate set of muscle instructions for the body to act on. Think of it as Tourette's for motor movements.

I got an interesting data point on that from another driver some years ago when I was driving on a narrow, two-lane road, and the woman in question pulled right out in front of me, forcing me off the road and into a field, which -- lucky for me -- was a nice, flat, freshly cleared and graded section of real estate. I was mad as hell, of course, but refrained from going after her to vent. To my complete surprise, she turned around and came after me to pull up alongside to apologize. She said she had been looking and had clearly seen me approaching, yet somehow her brain told her it was time to move and she acted on it, even though she realized a split second later it was the wrong thing to do but by then it was too late. Since then I have thought about some stupid things I have done (not always behind the wheel) and done a little reading on the topic, and I have just had to conclude that even the most determinedly careful motorists are going to make irrational decisions from time to time and there is nothing to do for it but to keep your wits about you and do what you can to get their attention early enough that they have time to plan their own reactions instead of acting on impulse.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
I use it all the time here (Middle East) approaching intersections with cars in them. It seems to help.

Unlike the US, outside lane campers here will move over when they see you. For the blind, oblivious or those simply texting, a few headligt flashes as you aproach is usually enough. I still find it aggressive, so I'll do the weave behind them, and it's very effective. It's more of an "hey, I'm back here dude" instead of flasing "get the F$#k out of my way asswipe"

The speed limits here are generally 70mph, and 20 over is a $25 fine with no points. The speed cameras are every mile or so, but they are set to photograph your front plate...which of course bikes don't have. Getting other drivers out of the way is a required skill
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
(HUGE graphic deleted)
That's awesome. It's also Europe, not the USA. It makes a difference- the percentage of rider fault crashes is much higher here.

Nearly half of all crashes are single vehicle- the rider crashed unaided.

Of the multi-vehicle crashes, the rider is at fault more than half the time- we hit the car, by running wide in a turn or simply rear-ending a stopped vehicle.

That leaves about 20% of all moto crashes for SMIDSY events... about half of which could have been avoided (the rider had time to brake/swerve, and instead target fixated and augured on in).

A final five percent are "animal / other".

So take any 20 random crashes; 1 would be hitting a deer, 4 would be a car pulling in front of you (half of which you should be able to dodge)- and the rest are just plain rider screw-ups.

The attached is from Oregon, 2011; 2012 and 2013 are different only in the precise numbers.
Attached Images

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post

My questions for the believers: WHEN do you use the SMIDSY swerve and when do you NOT use it?
I use it when I want the other drivers attention and action, but not when I don't.

Example. A car in the driveway on the right looking to pull out.

In order to keep that driver from pulling out in front of me, I might use my horn, flash my lights, wiggle my handlebars, etc. anything to get that driver to register me and not pull out.

But if the driver starts to pull out, the last thing I want is for them to slam on their brakes right in front of me. At this point I will go silent, so the driver will pull out and get out of my way. I will be braking hard and aiming for their rear in order to pass behind them. I want them to finish pulling out now and not react to me, especially with their brakes.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #27
Merckx the Cannibal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Mostly I do the SMIDSY maneuver when I see someone waiting to pull out of a driveway or side street, and there's a car in front of me. I especially use the maneuver when, say, I'm in the left lane, and there's a car in front of me in the right lane, and someone is waiting to enter the street from a driveway on the right. In such cases, the car in front of me (and one lane over) acts as a moving visual barrier that prevents the other driver from completely seeing me.

Sometimes I stand up on the pegs so they see the white helmet move up and down.

And a lot of the time, I point with my left hand at the driver. This does wonders to get drivers' attention.

My most-deployed tactic: When a driver is waiting to pull out of a driveway or side street, and the driver starts creeping (grrrrr I hate creepers!), I look at them and shake my head emphatically No. It works. Like women in bed, drivers like to be told what to do.

I never flash my light to make drivers notice me; I'm afraid they'll think I'm flashing the headlight to let them know that it's OK to pull out into my path.
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I always thougth it was "Sorry ma'am, I'm done. Sandwich? Yes!"
Well played, sir. Well played.

05 Honda CRF230 - 06 Suzuki GSX-R600, sold - 08 Kawasaki Versys, sold - 07 BMW R1200GS - Took a leap, drank the Kool-Aid
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 385
Thank you for all of your information. Gives me food for thought.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 142
So... wearing bright colors, honking the horn and dramatized bobbing and weaving ?

You'll either navigate safely through traffic or attract a mate
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote