Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I'm 30, had an offroad course last wednesday, with the KTM 990. I did about 240 km that day, 110 getting there and back, and 130 on various terrain, including gravel, mud, clay, cobblestones...
I can tell you that I felt like a 90 year old that evening... I am tall and heavy, but, concidering my weight in good shape since I hike quite often (daily). Soon as the weather gets better I'll start mountainbiking as well.

Thing is though, riding that big and heavy KTM offroad makes me use muscles I don't seem to use in daily life or when hiking or biking. Cardio-wise I can take it. But my forearms and the muscles on the inside of my thighs hurt like hell and were all cramped at night. I have a 9 day trip planned in the future, 5 days heavy offroad, with gear, so I really need to find a way to train those muscles. If I have to sleep in a tent on the ground when I am beat up like that I will never manage to get up in de morning
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Wait until you get to be 57 yo and you try to ride with the 40 year olds, on really steep and loose terrain, and you fall off and roll half way down the hill, into a cactus, the walk back up the hill to your bike will take EVERYTHING out of you, you'll be wantin' some of those muddy power line roads about then..

Well,there's that. Getting old is a bitch no matter what.
I rode 60 miles of ultra tight vertical tricky singletrack on sunday on my 200KTM,at the halfway point every body went back to the trucks except 3 of us. Leader was a winning A rider,age 27,on a CRF450F. Other guy was an A rider on a 2012 200KTM,under age 40.
Im 55 and pretty darn good at these trails but man,I ran out of steam at a certain point and there was no getting it back,no second wind kicked in.
Wobbling around like that on technical trails is slow and dangerous, and a good way to get hurt if you dont keep your wits about you,my wits were gone so it was hard.

Whole body felt totally worked over and next day was a rest day,but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger,with luck.

It was still a kick in the ass,more bicycle riding will happen.

For anybody,most all the time,40 miles is considered more then enough on these trails.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
To the OP, I'm a personal trainer and have a few thoughts. If you haven't exercised much or feel like you were much more exhausted than you should have been it may be time for a check up before you start an exercise program. Good idea to make sure the ticker and everything else is functioning properly so you can exercise with confidence.

Secondly, you're on a capable trail bike, but one whose weight and suspension aren't exactly top of the line. You didnt say who you were riding with, but If you were trying to keep up with more modern race bikes, then you should be worn out.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I wasn't trying to keep up with anyone. My buddy and our kids were riding their ATVs but I was going at my own pace.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,426
Buy a KX 500.

As others have suggested, ride more, and don't neglect the ole bicycle.

Have fun!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
To the OP, I'm a personal trainer and have a few thoughts. If you haven't exercised much or feel like you were much more exhausted than you should have been it may be time for a check up before you start an exercise program. Good idea to make sure the ticker and everything else is functioning properly so you can exercise with confidence.

Secondly, you're on a capable trail bike, but one whose weight and suspension aren't exactly top of the line. You didnt say who you were riding with, but If you were trying to keep up with more modern race bikes, then you should be worn out.
He was on his very first dirtride ever in his life,never done it before. People get tense doing something they have never done and it will be easier next time.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
I'm 54 now. I got back to off road riding at about your age after being primarily a street rider since my teenage years. Until I get out several times in a season I feel it especially in my legs. The best thing for me is to ride more and get used to it. It is a great work out.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Check this out Keith.

I'm 51 now. From the time I was 10, I was riding minibikes off road. When I was about 19, I bought a real dirtbike (RM400 Suzook), and for probably 3 times a week, until I was about 40, I rode dirt bikes. I could more or less keep up with any group, from fast fireroads to tight technical trails, no problems. Then I stopped for a few years, at about 44, I bought another YZ250, did OK, but at nowhere near the level I was at before. Must have been the bike. I bought a brand new YZ450F. And I was even slower than with the YZ250. I would be a half step behind what the bike was doing. Then a whole step, then a whole turn, etc., etc. Just a big crash waiting to happen. My reflexes had slowed, and I couldn't take the beatings any more (conditioning). I believe that last ride I went on with that bike, I ended up puking my guts out, halfway into the ride. I sold the bike shortly after that.

Just recently, I started getting the itch again. I'm looking at a KX250. 2 stroke. I'm talking to a trainer now about getting some conditioning and strength back, in addition to lowering my blood pressure and blood sugar. I don't know if I'll get back anywhere near where I was as far as stamina and endurance goes, but we'll see.

Getting old sucks.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Check this out Keith.
Getting old sucks.
Well that's depressing!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,363
I want to bet it was not physical exertion from what the ride demanded from you. The physical exertion was from being tense. Once you get good at riding on dirt, and you are relaxed when riding, and it is second nature to you, you are not going to get this tired. To get to that better state of mind, you need to practice and you need to believe it can be done (and it can).

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm 51, my wife is 50, and 2 years ago we both just started back riding, 20 years after selling the little Kawasaki KE100 we originally learned to ride on. We both took the BRC and got our endorsement, and we've been slowly working up to more difficult offroad stuff. We actually are in Moab, UT this week on vacation, and rode 2.5 hours on dirt yesterday, and 6 hours today. Yeah I'm a little bit worn out tonight, but I will be right back on the bike in the morning.

Today we did Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners, which I know a lot of you guys would think is too easy, but for newbies like us it was challenging and just incredibly fun and awesome scenery, etc, etc.

My advice would be to start slow, get comfortable with the bike, and gradually work up to more difficult terrain. Today for me several things really started to click. Early in the day when we would hit deep sandy sections, I would be super cautious, almost duck walking through it, but by the end of the day coming out through the same sections, I was having no problem keeping both feet on the pegs and maintaining considerably higher speeds.

Edit: Also, we've been ATVers for years, still have them, and love them for terrain like the Oregon Dunes. But an ATV is a totally different animal than a bike. On the stuff we were riding today, I would have been hating it if I was following ATVs, because the pace would have been too slow, but on the dunes I'd much rather be on my TRX450R, and there is no way my bike could keep up with it.

BillMoore screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:00 PM
BillMoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Getting old sucks.
But it beats the alternative!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
OP I know the feeling I was a bit sore the other day from riding my sherpa which is similar to your XT . I ride by myself at my own pace so no pressure . I turned on a non maintained state road and figured Id explore it , about a 100 yards down I hit muddy ruts which were about knee deep . They kept going and going full of gummy red clay , every 50 feet or so I would have to lift the bike up and pull with it still in gear and running . I finally got to a spot that the ruts were shallow enough I could turn around so I did . I started back through it and noticed a deer path heading off in the direction of the main road so I pulled the bike out of the rut and took the deer paths back to the road .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
This Saturday I rode my XT225 on my first ever off-road ride. It was 10 miles with about half on straight power line trails there were sometimes muddy and half in twisty woods on ATV trails that were also muddy. This was on Saturday. That evening my back was hurting a lot and by 8:00pm I had no energy left for anything. The next day my back felt a bit better but still hurt some. My energy level was lower than usual and by 8:00pm I was again exhausted. The riding really took it out of me. I've ridden these same trails many times on ATVs and never felt like this.

I'm in my late 40's. I know a lot of you guys are my age or older. What do you do to get in shape for riding?
Keithert - I read some of your other posts when you were first asking questions about how to learn dirt riding after many years of riding street. Congratulations to you for jumping into something new that can be intimidating.

First - riding off road is a very physical sport. A lot of people that don't ride can't believe it. "How is that physical? You have a motor and a throttle!" ha!
As others have said, riding is the best physical training for riding. But, bicycles and higher paced circuit or functional type training at the gym seem to really help a lot.

I find gym exercises like the following help prepare me for riding: light squats or leg presses, core and lower back exercises exercises, light dead lifts (these seem to really help), pulling exercises with cables and pushing exercises with cables (I do them standing which helps balance and core). I also ride a bicycle 3 - 5 times a week for 30 - 60 minutes each time.

Second - when you are new, like others have said, you do tense up and/or use a lot of extra muscles because you aren't yet skilled at riding. As you get better you will be able to ride longer and at a more intense level, but you will probably still wear yourself out.

I encourage you to keep at it. You will get better and better. And, stronger and stronger as a rider.

All the best!

PS - I'm 53.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Mikem9, thanks for the encouragement.