User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 623
scooter atgatt --

i have been getting shit at a few stops because i am atgatt on my scooter, with the same gear i wear on my bikes. now, i *know* the critics are mental because taking a dive at 65 has the same effect regardless of the ride, but a couple pals insist that they would feel like total morons in full kit on a scooter. admittedly, i am in black alpinestar poser gear and cordura, and i might feel a bit, uh, clowny in bright yellow 'stich when rocking a vespa, so, lemme axe you dis:

what's your limit, personally, when gearing up to scoot? i go full gear (boots, overpants, armored jacket et al), but i couldn't do a full yellow 'stich bodysuit.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
i have been getting shit at a few stops because i am atgatt on my scooter, with the same gear i wear on my bikes. now, i *know* the critics are mental because taking a dive at 65 has the same effect regardless of the ride, but a couple pals insist that they would feel like total morons in full kit on a scooter. admittedly, i am in black alpinestar poser gear and cordura, and i might feel a bit, uh, cleowny in bright yellow 'stich when rocking a vespa, so, lemme axe you dis:

what's your limit, personally, when gearing up to scoot? i go full gear (boots, overpants, armored jacket et al), but i couldn't do a full yellow 'stich bodysuit.
My motto is dress for the crash, not for the ride. You can survive an overdressed ride but an underdressed crash is a different story. As you said, hitting the ground at 65 hurts the same whether from a bike, a scooter, or the bed of a pickup truck. Wear whatever you are comfortable with based on your personal risk tolerance. Commuting home from work on a summer afternoon I'll go for helmet and T-shirt. Running the mountain or putting in a 1000 mile day I'll armor up all the way.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
The asphalt doesn't care what you fell off of.

I wear Jacket, gloves, and helmet. Same gear as on the motorcycle.

(I need to buy some boots and pants)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
When I first started riding back in November, I was a little self conscious of the Hi-Viz jacket on my scooter, but now, I don't care. Sure the mentality of a scooter is "Why put on all the gear?", but the reality is as you say; it doesn't matter what you ride if something happens.

That being said, I did just buy a new jacket from cycle gear. It will be my "errand jacket", one I won't take off when I get where I'm going and doesn't scream "MOTORCYCLE JACKET!"

My review here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post21083983

GH

GREY.HOUND screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 11:53 AM
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
My motto is dress for the crash, not for the ride. You can survive an overdressed ride but an underdressed crash is a different story. As you said, hitting the ground at 65 hurts the same whether from a bike, a scooter, or the bed of a pickup truck. Wear whatever you are comfortable with based on your personal risk tolerance. Commuting home from work on a summer afternoon I'll go for helmet and T-shirt. Running the mountain or putting in a 1000 mile day I'll armor up all the way.
Pretty much this. Around town t shirt and shorts. If going highway I (sometimes ) add a mc jacket.

I should wear more gear but too hot here. When I fall, I'll be sorry for sure.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
Regardless of what I'm riding, I wear the same; ATGATT. It's my skin/bones/body/life. I could care less what other people's thoughts are about how I look.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
i have been getting shit at a few stops because i am atgatt on my scooter, with the same gear i wear on my bikes. now, i *know* the critics are mental because taking a dive at 65 has the same effect regardless of the ride, but a couple pals insist that they would feel like total morons in full kit on a scooter. admittedly, i am in black alpinestar poser gear and cordura, and i might feel a bit, uh, clowny in bright yellow 'stich when rocking a vespa, so, lemme axe you dis:

I wouldn't do a full 'stich bodysuit even on a sports bike but then I'm not a full suit sort of person.

My limit varies depending on where I'm going. If I'm heading over to the village for coffee I may wear just a 3/4 helmet, possibly kevelar coolmax mesh sports jacket style Brosch I picked up from an Israeli company that knows about dealing with heat and mesh gloves but maybe just the helmet and closed toed shoes but I won't be going over 30-35 on basically neighborhood streets. I see little reason to wear much more than I would if I rode a bicycle over to it since I won't get going that much faster.

Going on faster or busier roads definitely jacket and full face Nolan N43, Trilogy helmet with jacket, gloves and long pants. I've had a few folks try to get on me for "not wearing gear" when I'm wearing an armored, kevelar lined hoody (GoGo Gear), kevelar riding jeans, TCX X-Street Shoes riding shoes with my gloves and Nolan helmet stored in the top case before I walked in. So I guess I'm in favor of "stealth" riding gear on my scoots but I agree when you are going 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 mph it doesn't really matter if you are riding a scooter or a motorcycle if you go down.

Something like (not me borrowed from GoGo Gear site):

but with TCX X-Street Shoes
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
I am NOT an ATGATT rider. I don't really like that term because everyone has a different definition of what ATGATT really is. I believe in dressing appropriately for the ride. I often wear full riding gear. Sometimes I wear most of the gear - FF Helmet, Jacket Gloves, jeans and hiking or work boots. On rare occasions when going slow and only a very short distance I'll ride in helmet, shorts and T-shirt.

Those who claim it's too hot to wear proper riding gear just haven't tried the right gear. It can be cooler wearing head to toe riding gear than helmet, shorts and T shirt.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
... but a couple pals insist that they would feel like total morons in full kit on a scooter....
fuck em. if you wreck it's your skin, not theirs. wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

Disco Stu screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 06:08 AM
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I am NOT an ATGATT rider. I don't really like that term because everyone has a different definition of what ATGATT really is. I believe in dressing appropriately for the ride. I often wear full riding gear. Sometimes I wear most of the gear - FF Helmet, Jacket Gloves, jeans and hiking or work boots. On rare occasions when going slow and only a very short distance I'll ride in helmet, shorts and T-shirt.

Those who claim it's too hot to wear proper riding gear just haven't tried the right gear. It can be cooler wearing head to toe riding gear than helmet, shorts and T shirt.
I know riding from Las Vegas, NV to Fallbrook, CA summer 2011 it was definitely better wearing the Brosh jacket or my husband's hi viz mesh than just a t-shirt. My husband chose not to put his jacket on when we first left the hotel since we planned on stopping for breakfast soon. It turned out to be 30 minutes and he said that was the last time he'd go without the jacket at 95f+ temps. (Peaked at 114f on that ride, thankfully we had camelbacks with ice water we could drink from while riding, made a huge difference.)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,268
Why would I want to fall off a perfectly good scooter??? I learned to ride back in the mid 50s and ain't fell off yet.

Summer time leather shoes, blue jeans, T-shirt and helmet with flip up visor.
Winter time, what ever it takes to keep warm.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
I am also NOT an ATGATT rider, on either scooters or motorcycles. I wear a full face helmet, both for protection and comfort. In the winter I wear a leather jacket if it is really cold, a nylon jacket (no armor) if it is not that cold. In the summer (120 degrees here) I usually wear an MX jersey to protect myself from sunburn and heatstroke. The material they are made of wicks perspiration away real good. In the winter if it is really cold I wear fairly thin Widder electric gloves. In the summer I wear VERY thin gloves, mostly to protect me from sunburn.

I can get away with wearing thicker gloves on a scooter than a motorcycle, because the controls are not as precise. On a motorcycle you need very precise control of the clutch and throttle when shifting.

As for pants, I wear jeans, period. If it is really cold I wear 2 pair of jeans. I do have a rain suit, which also helps protect me from really cold wind.

Shoes, anything from cruiser boots to hiking shoes to tennis shoes. Again because of the shifter, I wear something fairly flexible on a motorcycle.

I do not, and will never own an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, any more than I would dress up like an outlaw biker.

You can also get pretty messed up going down at 30 mph on asphalt. I have seen cyclists that could do 30 mph (for a short time anyway) wearing spandex and a completely worthless helmet.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
sintegua
Principiante

Oddometer: 15
When I ride on my scooter I use almost the same gear that I use on my other bike. I usually use my bike for city commuting (30-40kms). Generally, I use a cordura jacket with protections, gloves. In longer trips I just add knee protections, to keep it safe.

I agree partially with the user that says that in a bicycle you can get very messed up in case you fall... but Itś harder to get protective gear in a bike, that doesn't affect your driving weight. A good helmet is allways a must be, based that your head could have serious injuries in a fall at 45kms/h
sintegua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I agree that speed, traffic, and distance play a role it what gear to wear. Unfortunately, even though the closest shopping center is 2 miles away, I have to go on two roads that have speed limits of 45 and 50 mph respectively. The 50 mph road is a major artery through the city with 3 lanes, though I'm only on it for 1 mile I still won't go on it without my gear.

So, I guess I agree with the wear what's necessary.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Hi viz tourmaster coat, hi viz dual sport helmet with alpinestars boots and gloves. Pants if it is cold and that is most of the time here.
I ride a Big Ruckus so i don't really give two shits what anyone else thinks.