User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,032
To the OP, I feel your pain.
I would venture to say that your average scoot rider doesn't wear $1000 Dianese leathers. In my defense if I come off at my highway speeds, the end results from wearing a T-shirt would be painful. I don't expect to fall down, I don't wish to fall down, I have over 30 years of racing and road experience, but this also reminds me that shit happens.

I rekn stuff 'em! Stick on the knee pads and Ti boot sliders and cover them all in sparks!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
One fine summer Saturday a number of years ago I decided to putt down to the post office. Wearing tennis shoes, worn levis, and a faded T-shirt that said "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" and my Shoei R300, I hopped on my '76 Moto Guzzi T3 and as I entered Tombstone Canyon Road my race buddy zipped by on his Norton headin up canyon for coffee. The P.O. could wait, and I dashed after him and soon we were racing up this twisty canyon. I tossed it into a corner about sixty, something hit the pavement (turned out to be a non-folding foot peg) and then I was in a terminal tank-slapper. So I bailed.
Fortunately nothing broken but lots of road rash and a few days in the hospital.

What you might call a one-trial learning experience. Today, regardless of whether I'm riding my DR 650SE or my SYM HD 200 I wear the same gear, helmet, padded jacket (mesh in summer), Levis, boots. When I'm riding the scooter and someone says, "Hey, aren't you overdressed? I mean it's only a scooter, man," I tell 'em to fuck off.
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
On the scooters, I usually start out without much, but about halfway through the ride wish I had geared up a little more. For me, full ATG is a Mesh TourMaster jacket, jeans, gloves (always), RedWing boots and either a 3/4 or modular Shoei. Lately, I've been pretty good about leaving the flip-flops at home.

Funny how I only feel "overdressed" when I'm stopped - not while underway. I should learn from that.

MiniBike screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 08:16 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Dress for the worst, hope for the best

Yup, the full Monty for me each and every ride. Even in 120+ degrees in Death Valley.

Makes the beer(s) at days end, all the better!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 475
Around the city its an armored jacket, full face helmet, good gloves and jeans. And real shoes or boots, no tennies or sandals.

I bought an LED flashing red light at a bicycle shop and velcroed it on the back of my helmet. I commute before dawn on a California freeway, and I don't want to be some fool's hood ornament.

Make them see you, even if it's only so they call you a jerk. Better to get home in one piece as a jerk, than to be a cool looking guy making a greasy spot on the road.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
I heard you!! even my wife gives me the look of you crazy basta*** !!! but SHE does know about road rash and the like.

I wear the same gear I would if I wore on the motorcycle, and that includes helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and over pants! why? I think like you 40 mph (my scooter would do 65) will hurt the same, the ground is just as hard!

don't care about what other think! if I did, I would not drive a scooter 'cause you know they are for girls! lol!!!

Damasovi
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Count me in the full gear category also.

As noted earlier, when you hit the ground, for whatever reason, it's not going to matter what you fell off of. I want to continue to ride for many years, so I make a point of protecting myself. I wear a modular HJC helmet, textile winter jacket or mesh summer jacket with back, shoulder and elbow pads, kevlar-lined jeans with knee pads, anti-abrasion padded underarmor, gloves and decent boots. I don't much care what people think about it, any more than I care what they think about me riding a scooter.

That said, if you're happiest with minimal protection and you're willing to suffer more if, God forbid, something happens causing you hit the pavement, it's not my business to tell you what to wear or what not to wear. Good luck to you.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,571
Lets see don't wear gear . Don't have insurance end up with 200 grand plus bill for getting hurt. have you dog leave you because you can't keep him the top of the line food he likes. Your pussy don't purr anymore etc and You now don't have to buy a Halloween costume anymore. You can go as a peg leg Pirate because you ve lost most of a leg.
I ll take looking like man from mars over that . Most crashes happen with in 20 miles of home. Rather walk away then never walk again. I ve even go as far as a motorcycle neck brace. 2 time in 4.5 years down in Parking lots. ONce had my elite 250 run over where it was parked. Kind of speaks from it's self. It's just one min of time that can change your life . Hell everyone here has to have read face plant thread about the adv guy whom got rear end by a lawn mower in LA and the 2.5 year issues that he had. Anything can happen from one guy here saying I was downed by walnuts on the road to hitting unmarked grooved pavement in the rain. More then likely at least once your tire is going to go flats as you ride down the road.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:59 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,656
I think that the reason most riders don't wear full gear is due to convenience, not what others think. I know that is the case for me. If I am going for a short ride to go do something else like go for a hike or just run into a store, it's often more convenient to wear jeans than to put on real riding pants. Lets face it, nothing will protect you like a set of high quality racing leathers. How many people wear race leathers on their scooter for a trip to the store? Besides being expensive, they are not real convenient. I started a thread some time back to try to get people's ideas on what kind of gear is comfortable and convenient on a scooter but still offers decent protection. Of course it ended up being an ATGATT discussion just like this thread but there is some good information in there. The link to that thread is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653311

Another reason people don't wear gear is because they think it won't be comfortable or too hot. This is usually because they haven't tried wearing any real gear. The fact is that real riding gear will normally make you MORE COMFORTABLE, regardless of the weather conditions.

Cost is another factor however riding gear is more affordable now than it ever was in the past.

As for what others think, I think I get more respect because I wear gear than I would wearing a t shirt. The fact is that almost all other riders wave back at me when I'm on my scooter, regardless of what type of bike they are on. Maybe that's because I look like a real rider to them.

Anyway, those are just my opinions. I think everyone has the right to decide for themselves just how much gear they should wear.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,844
For riding on the track on track days (I have only done it once, on a rented bike, it was not for me) full leathers are required. Yet you are probably safer on a track than on the street.

Almost everybody says "dress for the crash, not the ride" That does not make sense to me. I think you should dress, and ride, to avoid a crash. I have been riding for 35 years and over 500,000 miles. I have gone down once on the street. It was an oddball crash. I was riding a 30 mph moped on the right shoulder when some idiot in a Suburban decided to use the shoulder to pass, and sideswiped me. I was wearing a full face helmet. The left corner of the Suburban's front bumper caught my right leg about 8" below the knee. Most of my injuries were caused by that, and tumbling instead of sliding when I went down. I was very lucky I did not get run over by another vehicle because I came to a stop in the middle of the right lane. There was a lot of damage, but had I been wearing all the gear, some of the road rash is all that would have been prevented. I would still have had all the broken bones, and torn muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage, which is where the real problems came from.

"Gear" is mostly designed to protect you from abrasion injuries, except for a helmet, which I wouldn't leave the driveway without. It will not help you much in an actual collision with a solid object.

As I posted earlier, I can get away with more gear on a scooter than a motorcycle, because a motorcycle requires very precise control inputs. Heavy cumbersome gear could actually cause an accident by restricting movement and feel (try typing or playing a musical instrument wearing motorcycle gloves)

Then there is the climate. Where I live it is often 120 degrees or close a good part of the year. This is just as dangerous if not moreso than it being to cold. You can dress for cold. This extreme heat can cause hyperthermia, which causes disorientation and interferes with your judgement, just like hypothermia. It will eventually lead to heat stroke. You need to do everything you can to protect yourself from the heat, sun glare, and from sunburn. For me that means riding on the street wearing an MX jersey and thin nylon gloves and a tinted face shield. It also means staying hydrated, and getting out of the sun if you notice any symptoms of disorientation. There is more to safe riding than just more and more armor. This is of course just my opinion.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
For riding on the track on track days (I have only done it once, on a rented bike, it was not for me) full leathers are required. Yet you are probably safer on a track than on the street.

Almost everybody says "dress for the crash, not the ride" That does not make sense to me. I think you should dress, and ride, to avoid a crash. I have been riding for 35 years and over 500,000 miles. I have gone down once on the street. It was an oddball crash. I was riding a 30 mph moped on the right shoulder when some idiot in a Suburban decided to use the shoulder to pass, and sideswiped me. I was wearing a full face helmet. The left corner of the Suburban's front bumper caught my right leg about 8" below the knee. Most of my injuries were caused by that, and tumbling instead of sliding when I went down. I was very lucky I did not get run over by another vehicle because I came to a stop in the middle of the right lane. There was a lot of damage, but had I been wearing all the gear, some of the road rash is all that would have been prevented. I would still have had all the broken bones, and torn muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage, which is where the real problems came from.

"Gear" is mostly designed to protect you from abrasion injuries, except for a helmet, which I wouldn't leave the driveway without. It will not help you much in an actual collision with a solid object.

As I posted earlier, I can get away with more gear on a scooter than a motorcycle, because a motorcycle requires very precise control inputs. Heavy cumbersome gear could actually cause an accident by restricting movement and feel (try typing or playing a musical instrument wearing motorcycle gloves)

Then there is the climate. Where I live it is often 120 degrees or close a good part of the year. This is just as dangerous if not moreso than it being to cold. You can dress for cold. This extreme heat can cause hyperthermia, which causes disorientation and interferes with your judgement, just like hypothermia. It will eventually lead to heat stroke. You need to do everything you can to protect yourself from the heat, sun glare, and from sunburn. For me that means riding on the street wearing an MX jersey and thin nylon gloves and a tinted face shield. It also means staying hydrated, and getting out of the sun if you notice any symptoms of disorientation. There is more to safe riding than just more and more armor. This is of course just my opinion.
Jerry, While I don't have quite as much riding experience as you (about 33 years and 400,00 miles), I do have much more experience crashing

I have to disagree with most of what you have posted about riding gear. It would appear to me that your knowledge on riding gear is about 15-20 years behind the times. I do remember when you had to choose between comfort and protection, when protective gear was just too hot to wear in the summer. Riding gear has been improved dramatically in the last 15-20 years and in EVERY way. My first pair of winter gloves, which I bought around 30 years ago was so bulky and clumsy that it was difficult to do much while wearing them. On top of that, they weren't all that warm. I now have winter gloves with enough dexterity that I could play any musical instrument as well with them on as without gloves.

OK, I don't actually play any musical instruments so that's not saying much. I can operate my camera and take pictures while riding with my point and shoot camera with some of less bulky winter gloves.

I also don't get that part with gear interfering with the operation of a motorcycles controls. I ride often ride in temps into the 20s and have ridden in tempos in the teens and the only problems I ever have operating the controls is if I don't dress warm enough and my fingers start to freeze. Wearing leather to stay warm? That's what I used to do 20 years ago. Textile works better.

Lets talk about heat. An MX jersey? That would seem to be a really ineffective solution. First of all, having a jersey flapping in the wind would seem uncomfortable, you have no crash protection, and I can think of more effective ways to stay cool.

Lets talk crash protection. Modern gear does more than protect against road rash. If it has armor in it, it will also help protect against impact injuries. I have been on countless ride when someone has crashed. If they were wearing the proper gear, they almost always walked away and in most cases were able to ride their bikes home. Several years ago I hit Bambi at around 65 MPH and went down on the pavement. I rode my bike about 80 miles to get home. My only injury was some road rash on my elbow due to my jacket sleeve riding up. If I had been wearing a better fitting jacket even that would not have happened. This was on a hot summer day and I was wearing mesh riding gear.

Jerry, you really should try out some modern riding gear. You will be surprised at how comfortable it can be. I know that you prefer older and simpler when it comes to bikes but older is not better when it comes to riding gear.

Just to be clear, I am not an Atgatt preacher. I understand that riding gear can be inconvenient, especially on short trips. I do believe however that many people have very limited experience with riding gear and often have some very inaccurate misconceptions about it.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:36 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Around the city its an armored jacket, full face helmet, good gloves and jeans. And real shoes or boots, no tennies or sandals.

I bought an LED flashing red light at a bicycle shop and velcroed it on the back of my helmet. I commute before dawn on a California freeway, and I don't want to be some fool's hood ornament.

Make them see you, even if it's only so they call you a jerk. Better to get home in one piece as a jerk, than to be a cool looking guy making a greasy spot on the road.
You might want to look at the Admore lighting kits which will definitely give you more visibility. I've ridden behind my husband since installing them in the topcase and visibility is greatly enhanced.

I also agree with Klaviator that gear has changed radically. I remember what was worn in the 70s and it is vastly different. Heck what I wear has evolved in the last 7 years especially when it comes to warm weather jackets. As we discovered riding from Las Vegas to San Diego it is much better wearing a modern mesh or coolmax kevelar jacket than even a plain shirt particularly if you put a coolmax shirt under the jacket. Wetting down the coolmax shirt can actually make it feel as much as 20 degrees cooler at speed as I discovered riding through a light shower. Made me almost chilly after exiting the shower despite being in the upper 90s until the shirt dried.

cdwise screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 01:47 PM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #28
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I was just laughing to myself while reading a ride report. Cool ride with zumas I think, but one rider dressed like he was road racing in all black. I laughed because I imagine most people think I look overdressed with a full face helmet And my everyday clothes on my majesty.
not much for atgatt but a Joe rocket jacket saved my nephew who laid a bike down at 35mph and slid into a tree. If you don't wear the gear know the risks, if you wear the gear you have to know you look like a jackass to some people, but you will live to enjoy the old pictures of yourself in another ten years.

I still sy getting laughed at on a scooter is kinda fun, full race gear on a moped: classic. Done it. Maybe you can brighten some cagers day with a laugh.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Gogogordy, nice jacket. What is it? Doesn't look as bulky as the ones I have been looking at.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Dress for the ride, not the bike,