ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,658
You are probably right about some of that stuff, but no way am I going to wear a jacket in 120 degrees. And the MX jersey does work great. They are long sleeved and protect you from sunburn, and the material they are made of dries almost instantly. You can be sitting at a stop light sweating like crazy, the jersey will be soaking wet, and as soon as you take off it feels almost like A/C. But within 2 blocks it's completely dry again. I do often wear a Camelback on longer rides for hydration. Having lived in this heat all my life, I believe it to be far more likely to get you killed (one way or another) than anything else, whether it causes you to crash, or you die from a heat stroke. When I was younger I used to drive around all the time in my old cars with no A/C, and other than being miserable, never thought much about it. A few years ago I started being affected by the heat more, and would sometimes almost pass out. I finally gave it up and bought an '01 Chevy with A/C.

Just before I did that, my sister and brother in law, who had also lived here their whole lives, gave it up and moved to Portland, OR. They swear they will never set foot in AZ again.

If you have not lived here for some time, it is hard to understand just how hot it gets, and how the extreme heat can affect you. Before it just made me miserable, now it actually makes me sick.


And I keep telling myself to stay out of these ATGATT discussions. Next time I'll have to remember. I am not on either side, I believe it is one of those things that everybody should decide for themselves. I still don't understand how anyone can ride without a helmet, with an 80 mph, 120 degree wind blast in their face, plus all the dirt, rocks, bugs, etc, in it. I was hit in the face shield with what I believe was a rock, so hard it broke the shield. I also hit a bird so hard it almost knocked my head off, and almost caused me to crash. Didn't break the shield, but there was so much blood all over it I couldn't see through it. Had to ride with it open (slowly) to get to a place where I could clean it up. My neck hurt for days afterward. I was doing at least 75 mph both times, and both times it would have likely been fatal without the helmet.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #32
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,888
Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
Gogogordy, nice jacket. What is it? Doesn't look as bulky as the ones I have been looking at.
Creighta-thats a RevIt brand jacket, very comfy and lightweight despite great armor. My only gripe is the fade-to-pink the red sections have done in relatively short order....but then pink is the new black. And I do ride a.....scooter!

It's OK. I'm tough and can manfully rock a pinkish jacket while riding a scooter around Death Valley with the best of them
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
blugg1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Oddometer: 322
JerryH: I, too, live in Arizona, but at 5500 feet elevation in the Mule Mountains. Completely different climate, some snow in winter and lots of below freezing mornings. Summer high is usually about 90 and then only in June. Rains start early July and that's it for the heat.

My daughter lived in Phoenix for a time (right next to Chandler, for those of you unfamiliar with the territory) and I rode up to visit her frequently and stay for a few days. You are right: the heat was brutal. I have no idea why anyone lives there during the long summers, but lots of people do. I suspect if you had an accident at mid-day and ended up lying on the pavement for more than a minute you might get 2nd degree burns.

On the occasions when I rode up there I always wore mesh with armour and a full face helmet (actually cooler than no helmet, aside from the very real risk of skin cancer).
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
You are probably right about some of that stuff, but no way am I going to wear a jacket in 120 degrees. And the MX jersey does work great. They are long sleeved and protect you from sunburn, and the material they are made of dries almost instantly. You can be sitting at a stop light sweating like crazy, the jersey will be soaking wet, and as soon as you take off it feels almost like A/C. But within 2 blocks it's completely dry again. I do often wear a Camelback on longer rides for hydration. Having lived in this heat all my life, I believe it to be far more likely to get you killed (one way or another) than anything else, whether it causes you to crash, or you die from a heat stroke. When I was younger I used to drive around all the time in my old cars with no A/C, and other than being miserable, never thought much about it. A few years ago I started being affected by the heat more, and would sometimes almost pass out. I finally gave it up and bought an '01 Chevy with A/C.

Just before I did that, my sister and brother in law, who had also lived here their whole lives, gave it up and moved to Portland, OR. They swear they will never set foot in AZ again.

If you have not lived here for some time, it is hard to understand just how hot it gets, and how the extreme heat can affect you. Before it just made me miserable, now it actually makes me sick.


And I keep telling myself to stay out of these ATGATT discussions. Next time I'll have to remember. I am not on either side, I believe it is one of those things that everybody should decide for themselves. I still don't understand how anyone can ride without a helmet, with an 80 mph, 120 degree wind blast in their face, plus all the dirt, rocks, bugs, etc, in it. I was hit in the face shield with what I believe was a rock, so hard it broke the shield. I also hit a bird so hard it almost knocked my head off, and almost caused me to crash. Didn't break the shield, but there was so much blood all over it I couldn't see through it. Had to ride with it open (slowly) to get to a place where I could clean it up. My neck hurt for days afterward. I was doing at least 75 mph both times, and both times it would have likely been fatal without the helmet.
I won't argue about how brutal the heat is there. I've been out in some brutal heat so I fully understand how dangerous it can be. It doesn't get nearly as hot here in the southeast but it is much more humid. I have also been out in extreme dry heat were you would be perfectly dry within 30 seconds of walking outside. Your sweat would evaporate that fast. When the wind blew, it didn't cool you down, it just felt like a blast furnace. The real hazard here was dehydration since you would be seating like crazy but not realize it since you would feel completely dry.

I wear a mesh jacket with a cooling vest underneath here in the southeast. For really hot and dry, the experts recommend wearing a textile, not mesh jacket to protect yourself from the heat. With a cooling vest underneath and a few vents open to allow some airflow it's supposed to work pretty well. I haven't tried it myself. It's been a long time since I rode in really hot and dry conditions.

I won't tell you that there is gear out there that will make 120* feel comfortable but you can extend the amount of heat you can handle with the right gear. If nothing else, get yourself a cooling vest. Cycle Gear sells them for around $35.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 855
Dress for the ride, not the bike,



That is a really cool photo, Klav...I've hung a knee out on the SWing and it helps cornering a bit, but NOT like that....
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #36
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 196
Jacket, gloves, chaps, boots, helmet. I don't care what other people think. They don't ride my bike.

I use it. While I'm putting on my gear, I adjust my attitude to where I can get on a bike and ride safely, focus my situational awareness and realize once again that motorcycles are very dangerous if you're not on top. Zen. meditation. Attitude adjustment. Call it what you will, but I go though the process whenever I don my gear. It's part of the process.

Ride safe everyone.
Scott Fraser
__________________
one 125 Vino
two 650 Burgman Execs
Vulcan 900 Classic LT, V-Star 1100 Silverado
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CMS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Southern,OHIO
Oddometer: 244
Atgatt

If I knew when and where I was going to wreck it would be easier to dress for. Not knowing that ,I dress for the wreck on every ride. My first and only accident on a bike was at 30mph [100cc bike] no traffic, short quick trip, less than a mile,only one car on the road other than me, and he turned in front of me. My safety gear was a pair of sun glasses.[but I did look cool ] One year later ,didn't need the crutches any more, all the skin had grown back ,bike totally rebuilt [ better than new] and I could walk on my own. Continued to ride the same bike [with out tying the crutches on the bike, yes it can be done] and the sun glasses [they weren't broken, still cool ].Since then I've worn all the gear I can, on all rides. Yes I know what hot is [two tours, Iraq] but walking away from every ride is a whole lot better, the shower is great and the smile is still on my face from a great ride, knowing there will be another. CMS
__________________
09 DL 650 [Grey/Black]
09 TU 250X [Red]
13 GW 250 [Black]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 276
Funny that all advertisements for scooters show a half helmet as the only gear worn.

Somehow millions of people in Asia, India, Italy etc.. get by with no gear at all.

They couldn't withstand the cloud of "Smug" eminating from this thread though
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
Funny that all advertisements for scooters show a half helmet as the only gear worn.

Somehow millions of people in Asia, India, Italy etc.. get by with no gear at all.

They couldn't withstand the cloud of "Smug" eminating from this thread though
Smug?? I don't see it. Could you explain your statement?

Just because someone chooses to wear protective gear doesn't make them smug.

So far this discussion has been much more civil than other ATGATT discussions I have seen on ADV.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,658
There are no guarantees you won't crash and get killed or badly injured. To me, the best ways to avoid most crashes is skill, experience, and perhaps most important of all, the right attitude. Skill includes complete awareness of what is going on around you, and always having a plan to deal with whatever may come up. An experienced rider can usually spot a possible dangerous situation before it becomes critical, and take action to avoid it, or at least find an escape route before it is to late. Nothing is 100%, but I think that is about 98% of it. That is why I am so opposed to listening to a radio, MP3 player, or using a cell phone while riding. Not only do I feel it is extremely distracting, and therefore dangerous, it ruins the ride for me. I ride to be alone. It is my escape time. Time to get away from everything else. It's just me, the bike, and the road. I have hit the interstate and ridden hundreds of miles in a day not really going anywhere. Just for the ride, and the enjoyment it provides. Again, just my feelings on it.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #41
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
There are no guarantees you won't crash and get killed or badly injured. To me, the best ways to avoid most crashes is skill, experience, and perhaps most important of all, the right attitude. Skill includes complete awareness of what is going on around you, and always having a plan to deal with whatever may come up. An experienced rider can usually spot a possible dangerous situation before it becomes critical, and take action to avoid it, or at least find an escape route before it is to late. Nothing is 100%, but I think that is about 98% of it. That is why I am so opposed to listening to a radio, MP3 player, or using a cell phone while riding. Not only do I feel it is extremely distracting, and therefore dangerous, it ruins the ride for me. I ride to be alone. It is my escape time. Time to get away from everything else. It's just me, the bike, and the road. I have hit the interstate and ridden hundreds of miles in a day not really going anywhere. Just for the ride, and the enjoyment it provides. Again, just my feelings on it.
I agree with you here. While I choose to wear protective gear most of the time, I fully understand that it won't guaranty my safety if I do crash. I choose my gear as much for comfort while riding and convenience as I do for crash protection. Luckily, modern gear, unlike older gear, lets you be comfortable and reasonably well protected. I never did like the statement "dress for the crash, not the ride". I ride because I enjoy riding and refuse to wear gear that is uncomfortable and interferes with that. Again, modern gear is good enough to be comfortable and reasonably protective. To me dressing for the crash would mean full racing leathers. I refuse to go that far while riding my scooter......unless I'm planning on riding it on the race track

But as I have said before, everyone needs to decide how much gear to wear for themselves.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Just because someone chooses to wear protective gear doesn't make them smug.
I agree, but when they post up that it is full motorcycle gear or nothing, on a scooter and are looking for a thumbs up for that attitude , IMO they are being a smug douche.
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
I agree, but when they post up that it is full motorcycle gear or nothing, on a scooter and are looking for a thumbs up for that attitude , IMO they are being a smug douche.
Maybe I am missing something but I haven't seen what you are talking about in this thread.

I have seen it in other threads.

As for people in other parts of the world who get by with no gear. They live in a different culture, just like many of us did years ago. I never wore a helmet when riding a bike as a kid. I didn't wear a seat belt. My first few years of riding a motorcycle I wore jeans, T shirt, tennis shoes and open face helmet. That is what most riders wore back then. A few hard core bikers wore black leather jackets but most of us didn't.

I am pretty stubborn and a slow learner so it took a couple of years of riding with some serious riders before I started wearing real motorcycle gear (other than a helmet). I'm glad I did because I had my first crash after about 7 years and 80,000+ miles of riding. I was wearing full gear and walked away without a scratch despite totaling my bike. Since then I have walked away from a head on collision and a 65 MPH collision with Bambi. I have no doubt that my gear made a big difference all those times.

In some cultures, like parts of Europe, riders wear much more gear than in the US.

As for "getting by" with no gear, I have no doubt that many of those riders ended up injured or dead when they crashed without protective gear and that gear would have helped a lot of them. However, I won't judge them since I used to do the same thing.

Enough of my rambling. Anyone else see the "smugness" that DavesNotHere" mentioned?
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.




klaviator screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 02:58 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #44
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
I agree, but when they post up that it is full motorcycle gear or nothing, on a scooter and are looking for a thumbs up for that attitude , IMO they are being a smug douche.

Is it smug to wear "full motorcycle gear" on a scooter?

I dont see the connection, or the differentiation.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #45
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Is it smug to wear "full motorcycle gear" on a scooter?

I dont see the connection, or the differentiation.
No I don't think it is smug to actually wear the gear, but it comes across as lecturing people and boasting about how wise it is.
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014