Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,621
I still live mostly the way I grew up (I'm 54, just barely) I drive old cars, a '72 and a '64, I rarely wear seat belts, I wouldn't even consider wearing a helmet on a bicycle, I still ride in the back of a pickup (believe it or not, that is STILL legal here) I don't wear sunscreen, I still drill holes and drive nails without safety glasses, and I still use gasoline for cleaning parts (or ethanol as it is now). I survived growing up, and I am still here. I have survived working on cars for 36 years for a living with no serious injuries, I spend almost every day covered in all kinds of chemicals that many people believe will kill you "don't touch used oil, you'll get cancer!!" and so far seem to have no ill effects from it. I even smoked for 30 years (which I do NOT recommend) Most of this new safety "crap" is just that to me, "crap" It's not that I don't believe in safety (and I believe my lifetime safety record backs that up) but I do believe safety is more an attitude, and knowing what you are doing. If 99% of the people out there were not idiots, the new safety devices, and all the warnings all over everything, would not be necessary. Most of the "crap" I'm referring to is in cars, not bikes.

Oh, I did switch to a full face helmet from the 3/4 helmet with the wrap around 5 snap flat shield I used to wear, after meeting a former motorcyclist who had crashed and landed on his face wearing one of those. The 3/4 helmet would be more comfortable here in the summer, as a lot more air can get in, but I just can't get that image out of my mind.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 274
I gear up fully for a motorcycle ride. To mule over to get some groceries on a scoot? Nah. I'm 53 too (old enough to know better maybe), but you gotta do something a little crazy

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #48
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
No I don't think it is smug to actually wear the gear, but it comes across as lecturing people and boasting about how wise it is.

I think youre being overly sensitive.

This IS a motorcycle forum after all. Boasting and bragging can be found in every thread....from how many miles we've ridden in tank tops and thongs to how quickly we field stripped our doohickey, and then rode across the sahara....
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #49
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I think culture has a lot to do with it. Both culture throughout the world and scooter culture.

Of course many other countries, scooters are the norm for transport and speed and distance are a little different. Put putting around, along with 200 other bikers on the road at speeds of 20 mph and a handful of cars is different.

Also, as for scooter culture, I read somewhere about the new BMW scooters, and one of the people involved in PR for motorcycles and such said how different scooters are than their motorcycles for simplicity sake and that he doesn't even need to gear up; and he was talking about the new 650cc scoots.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #50
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
Quote:
No I don't think it is smug to actually wear the gear, but it comes across as lecturing people and boasting about how wise it is.
But it is wise to wear all the gear all the time. I don't do it but then I never claimed to be wise.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #51
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:

True and well said.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #52
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
I'm full gear on my motorcycles almost 100%. Just got into scootin and the scoot is a 29 yr old Elite. I figure it's about the most dangerous bike I have in the garage (other two being a Tiger and DR650). I know I probably look like an idiot geared up on the scoot but the brakes suck, the wheels are 12" and I'm way less visible on it than the other bikes. Since it'll go 56mph my odds are way worse on it than the faster bikes. I'll continue to look like an astronaut I think.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #53
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
There are no guarantees... To me, the best ways to avoid most crashes is ... the right attitude...
Totally, hence my comment about deliberately using the moments when I don my gear to adjust my attitude before I get on my bike. It's a MOTORCYCLE and not a bicycle. Remembering that keeps me focused and alert. My gear helps keep me in that space.

Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #54
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Smug

Quote:
I shared a story of one bad day in my younger riding days. Thats all it was, it refleted my bad judgement, and how I reacted to it, no one else. If telling that is smug or boasting ,I don't see it. I thought this is where we shared our stories/adventures and our passion of riding on two wheels. I guess I didn't get you pre approval memo. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #55
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
I shared a story of one bad day in my younger riding days. Thats all it was, it refleted my bad judgement, and how I reacted to it, no one else. If telling that is smug or boasting ,I don't see it. I thought this is where we shared our stories/adventures and our passion of riding on two wheels. I guess I didn't get you pre approval memo. CMS
Don't take offense, no one was directing comments to you or any other person directly.

The op asked "what do you wear" and some of us (and you) answered and why. That's great. But these atgatt threads always end up being "I wear this and you should too or you are dumb" and that's when some of us get testy.

Lets face it, every one of us that rides two wheels is "dumb" to some folks who would never ride a cycle and who thinks we are nuts to do so. We all decide what risks we are willing to take. Ride what you want, wear what you want, it is all good. I just prefer if folks don't tell me how to live or ride.

BTW- thank you for your service!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #56
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Don't take offense, no one was directing comments to you or any other person directly.

The op asked "what do you wear" and some of us (and you) answered and why. That's great. But these atgatt threads always end up being "I wear this and you should too or you are dumb" and that's when some of us get testy.

Lets face it, every one of us that rides two wheels is "dumb" to some folks who would never ride a cycle and who thinks we are nuts to do so. We all decide what risks we are willing to take. Ride what you want, wear what you want, it is all good. I just prefer if folks don't tell me how to live or ride.

BTW- thank you for your service!
You are correct. It doesn't start out that way, but after a while everyone digs in and starts defending their position more and more vigorously. Then everybody gets mad at anyone who does not share their opinion. On a subject with such strong feelings on both sides it is bound to happen. And I am no different in that regard than anyone else, so I will stop posting on this thread. I almost didn't post on it in the first place, but my strong feelings about the matter caused me to do it anyway. Sorry to anyone who was offended by my posts. I posted what I do and don't do. That does not mean it is right for anyone else.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #57
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
A subject near and dear to my heart..through not 'scooter' let me tell my tale...
I owned a Honda VT1100ace (thus my name) that I was taking out to put gas in, I pulled out of my driveway, rolled up to the corner of my dul-de-sac (about 30' from my front door as I lived at the first residence on the right as you turned in) started to make the turn onto the main road and promptly got hit head on by my neighbor who cut the corner....I came to a sudden stop, doing a half-high side/half rt side spill onto my rt knee AND through my cruiser gear (full face, jacket, chaps and boots and gloves) still ended up with a Tibial plateau fracture that ended up with needing two operations, got infected, 8 month non-weightbearing plus phyisical therapy AND the leg (fron the knee down) heal crooked and over an inch short....

That whole incidence was at less than 5 mph...

And I still want/need to ride and so soon as I clear up some bills, am doing the scooter route.

screw what anyone says/thinks...dress for the crash not the ride.

you go play in the dirt and wear the armor on dirt bike? even if the dirt bike is a small 150cc? why would riding on pavement (that's less yeilding than dirt) be different?
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #58
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #59
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 274

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #60
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I guess that in this pic ATGATT means wearing one of those gauze face masks.